    How do I Restore System in Windows 2000 Pro? I do not see
    the option in Accessories/System Tool/. Is there another way to
    restore the computer to a previous date? Fred

    Fred J, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Fred J

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Fred J" <> wrote in news:Zhhsb.96881$vq2.2275788
    @wagner.videotron.net:

    > How do I Restore System in Windows 2000 Pro? I do not see
    > the option in Accessories/System Tool/. Is there another way to
    > restore the computer to a previous date? Fred

    System Restore is a feature of Windows XP and Windows ME, not 2000. If you
    messed something up, you need to either fix it manually (ie, find the files
    you corrupted and restore backups) or reinstall the operating system.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Fred J

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Fred J" <> wrote in news:Zhhsb.96881$vq2.2275788
    @wagner.videotron.net:

    > How do I Restore System in Windows 2000 Pro? I do not see
    > the option in Accessories/System Tool/. Is there another way to
    > restore the computer to a previous date? Fred

    Yeah, you can restore Win 2k to a previous state, if you did a back of the
    O/S to a offline storage device, like a CD. You could restore from there.
    Or if you made a limited *Recovery* diskette of the key components O/S, and
    you could recover the Win2k O/S to that point.

    Or you can do an *upgrade* over the top of the existing O/S with the Win2k
    install cd, which will not break the existing programs on the machine but
    will restore the O/S back to a possible clean state.

    The *upgrade over the top* approach usually fixes things, but that's no
    guarantee. If you do the upgrade over the top, you will need to apply all
    SP(s) and Security fixes again.

    If you're expecting it to be like XP in this area, Win2k is not that.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 12, 2003
  4. >From: "Fred J"
    >Newsgroups: alt.computer

    >Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:54:53 -0500

    >How do I Restore System in Windows 2000 Pro? I do not see
    >the option in Accessories/System Tool/. Is there another way to
    >restore the computer to a previous date? Fred

    Restart in Safe Mode, by pressing F8 on start up,

    choose Last Known Good Configuration

    --
    Necessity is the Mother of invention.

    I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

    caveat lector - reader beware, Nov 13, 2003