    So it is apparently still on the DVD.

    What software will recover it?

    Felice anno Nuovo! :)

    Knowledge, Jan 13, 2008

  2. Knowledge

    Guest

    Knowledge <> wrote:

    >I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
    >have not written anything over the deleted video file.
    >
    >It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
    >gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
    >498MB
    >
    >So it is apparently still on the DVD.
    >
    >What software will recover it?

    Isobuster
    http://www.isobuster.com/

    Not sure how much you can do with the free version.
    --

    Comet Between Fireworks and Lightning
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070205.html

    , Jan 13, 2008

  3. Knowledge

    VanguardLH Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Isobuster
    > http://www.isobuster.com/
    >
    > Not sure how much you can do with the free version.

    "IsoBuster registration key to unlock Pro functionality"

    Too bad they don't actually delineate in their features list which one
    are NOT in the free version. They show a *full* feature list but no
    comparison list betwee free and full versions.

    VanguardLH, Jan 13, 2008
  4. Knowledge

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Knowledge" <> wrote in message
    >I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
    > have not written anything over the deleted video file.
    >
    > It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
    > gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
    > 498MB
    >
    > So it is apparently still on the DVD.
    >
    > What software will recover it?
    >
    > Felice anno Nuovo! :)

    Capacities of recordable media do not change when you delete files.
    Deleting a file simply has its entry removed from the last copy of the
    TOC (table of contents). Not until you format the disc with the file
    actually get purged from the disc. That's why you can repeatedly
    write, say, a 10KB file over and over to a CD-R or DVD-R and
    eventually consume all the space on the disc because of all the old
    copies still on the disc that simply no longer have a pointer to them
    in the latest TOC. Obviously you could never "delete" a file (remove
    it from the latest TOC) unless the disc was [re]recordable.

    Google does work.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Brecover+%2Bdeleted+%2Bfile+%2B"DVD-R"
    (add "+free" or "+freeware" if you only want freebie solutions)

    I thought .vro was used for DVD-RAM. Is that what you recorded to?

    VanguardLH, Jan 13, 2008
  5. Knowledge

    VanguardLH Guest

    "VanguardLH" wrote in message

    > <> wrote ...
    >>
    >> Isobuster
    >> http://www.isobuster.com/
    >>
    >> Not sure how much you can do with the free version.

    > "IsoBuster registration key to unlock Pro functionality"
    >
    > Too bad they don't actually delineate in their features list which
    > one are NOT in the free version. They show a *full* feature list
    > but no comparison list betwee free and full versions.

    I have found one difference between the free and full versions:

    "The difference is that for files in the UDF file system (e.g. CDs
    written with Roxio Direct CD or Ahead InCD, or ... ) extraction won't
    work until you are registered.”

    Extracting from IFO might be another restriction for the free version.

    VanguardLH, Jan 13, 2008
  6. Knowledge

    Guest

    > > Too bad they don't actually delineate in their features list which
    > > one are NOT in the free version.  They show a *full* feature list
    > > but no comparison list betwee free and full versions.

    FYI
    http://www.isobuster.com/license-models.php

    , Jan 13, 2008
  7. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:18:54 -0600, "VanguardLH"
    <> wrote:

    >"Knowledge" <> wrote in message
    >>I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
    >> have not written anything over the deleted video file.
    >>
    >> It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
    >> gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
    >> 498MB
    >>
    >> So it is apparently still on the DVD.
    >>
    >> What software will recover it?
    >>
    >> Felice anno Nuovo! :)
    >>

    >Capacities of recordable media do not change when you delete files.
    >Deleting a file simply has its entry removed from the last copy of the
    >TOC (table of contents). Not until you format the disc with the file
    >actually get purged from the disc. That's why you can repeatedly
    >write, say, a 10KB file over and over to a CD-R or DVD-R and
    >eventually consume all the space on the disc because of all the old
    >copies still on the disc that simply no longer have a pointer to them
    >in the latest TOC. Obviously you could never "delete" a file (remove
    >it from the latest TOC) unless the disc was [re]recordable.
    >
    >Google does work.
    >http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Brecover+%2Bdeleted+%2Bfile+%2B"DVD-R"
    >(add "+free" or "+freeware" if you only want freebie solutions)
    >
    >I thought .vro was used for DVD-RAM. Is that what you recorded to?

    The video files is about seven hours of video from the surveillance
    camera looking out my living room window.

    It goes from the Canon VCc-50Ir into the Sony DVD HD VCR Tape
    recorder.

    The other two files on it end in .bup and .ifo

    I need to recover the .VRO one. So I can look at something that
    happened last Friday night, or early Saturday morning.

    So far ISOBuster won't recover it. Perhaps I'm not taking the correct
    steps. I did order the registered version of 2.3 Pro also.

    Spater

    Knowledge, Jan 13, 2008
  8. Knowledge

    chuckcar Guest

    Knowledge <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 06:18:54 -0600, "VanguardLH"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Knowledge" <> wrote in message
    >>>I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
    >>> have not written anything over the deleted video file.
    >>>
    >>> It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
    >>> gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
    >>> 498MB
    >>>
    >>> So it is apparently still on the DVD.
    >>>
    >>> What software will recover it?

    > The other two files on it end in .bup and .ifo
    >
    > I need to recover the .VRO one. So I can look at something that
    > happened last Friday night, or early Saturday morning.
    >
    > So far ISOBuster won't recover it. Perhaps I'm not taking the correct
    > steps. I did order the registered version of 2.3 Pro also.
    >
    > Spater

    Try playing the .ifo file with a DVD player program. You might also try
    just opening the .vro file manually with Media Player. That is start
    Media Player and then browse to that file. No Guarantees, but it might
    work - the extension might be different than it's "supposed" to be.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 13, 2008
  9. Knowledge

    VanguardLH Guest

    VanguardLH, Jan 13, 2008
  10. Knowledge

    VanguardLH Guest

    http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/vro
    http://filext.com/file-extension/VRO

    > The other two files on it end in .bup and .ifo
    >
    > I need to recover the .VRO one. So I can look at something that
    > happened last Friday night, or early Saturday morning.
    > So far ISOBuster won't recover it. Perhaps I'm not taking the
    > correct
    > steps. I did order the registered version of 2.3 Pro also.

    Did you install and then select to use only the free functionality?
    According to the licensing info web page provided by cybergonzo, the
    free version doesn't work to extract files from the VOB file system
    which might include .vro files. The full functionality isn't
    available in IsoBuster until you get their e-mail with the
    registration key.

    Since you deleted the file, that probably created another session on
    the DVD (with a new TOC). Did you select a prior session in
    IsoBuster? How many sessions are shown in IsoBuster? What is
    conflicting in your problem description is that you say that you
    deleted the .vro file and yet you still see it listed. Since it is
    still listed, what happens when you select that file in Windows Media
    Player to play it?

    VanguardLH, Jan 13, 2008
  11. Knowledge

    Guest

    , Jan 13, 2008
  12. Knowledge

    Plato Guest

    Knowledge wrote:

    > I deleted a file from a DVD that is in the format of "VR_movie.vro" I
    > have not written anything over the deleted video file.
    >
    > It shows up in the file manager, but not with a round record looking
    > gold disc, but rather with a "document" type icon and it says it is
    > 498MB
    >
    > So it is apparently still on the DVD.
    >
    > What software will recover it?

    No software is guaranteed to recover it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 14, 2008