    won't do DNS."

    What should I say or have said to this guy?

    Thanks.

    scott, Feb 2, 2004

  2. scott

    James Martin Guest

    Hey Scott,

    You're going to meet lots of people in this business who *think* they know
    everything, but rest assured that they do not. The real skill and talent in
    IT is the ability to solve problems you *haven't* encountered before
    combined with your ability to share and work with others. Contrary to some
    people's belief, IT is hardly ever a "one-man show."

    Your coworker is incorrect. He may be referring to UNIX's ability to
    auto-update it's DNS record, and that may be true depending on what you're
    running, but you can set it up such that the Windows DHCP server does all
    the DNS maintanance and retains ownership of the DNS record.

    I can only assume that this coworker has a history of being condescending
    towards you because being mistaken isn't such a big deal if one can admit
    it. You might try confronting him/her about it?

    James Martin, Feb 2, 2004

  3. scott

    Kidder Guest

    All I know about UNIX is they have been castrated

    Kidder, Feb 2, 2004
  4. scott

    sux Guest

    "scott" <> wrote in message
    > How do you respond to someone you work with that knows
    > everything? I have been testing some servers in order to
    > upgrade a large workgroup of computers to a domain. All
    > the testing has worked with the PC, but we have some UNIX
    > systems that are going to be on the network. I have two
    > servers running DNS and one running DHCP. When I
    > suggested attaching a UNIX box for testing my one know it
    > all co-worker stated, "We'll have to assign all these
    > systems static IP addresses because these UNIX systems
    > won't do DNS."
    >
    > What should I say or have said to this guy?

    I would say or you would have to say: "Then tell your doofus Unix machine to
    pass his DNS requests to MY Windows Servers!" ;-) and: "Static addresses my
    *ss, go back to the seventees, now get back to yor basement freak!" ;-)

    > Thanks.

    yw. ;-)

    --

    Mzzl,