How to reset ink levels on refilling - Canon i950?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. To any who has this printer - I recently bought one, and have had to
    refill 3 of the ink chambers. The ink level indicator (which shows
    only when actually printing, by the way) was correctly reset on the
    first one of these 3 refilled. The other 2 have not been reset at
    all. Can anyone explain why this may be? Second question - how can I
    get the level indicator to show at times other than when printing.

    As a thought, just came to me as I type this, the one that reset was
    the first to go empty and gave the empty message. The other 2 had not
    quite reached that point, so did not get a message on them. Could
    that explain why only the first reset? If so, how can I convince the
    others to show being refilled, or reset?

    By the way, this is a really great printer for photographs, in my
    opinion. My favorite papers to date are Ilford Galerie and Office
    Depot Prem High Gloss Photo paper (believed to actually be Konica).

    Olin McDaniel

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
    "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
    the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Olin K. McDaniel

    Tom Guest

    "Olin K. McDaniel" <> wrote in message
    > To any who has this printer - I recently bought one, and have had to
    > refill 3 of the ink chambers. The ink level indicator (which shows
    > only when actually printing, by the way) was correctly reset on the
    > first one of these 3 refilled. The other 2 have not been reset at
    > all. Can anyone explain why this may be? Second question - how can I
    > get the level indicator to show at times other than when printing.
    >
    > As a thought, just came to me as I type this, the one that reset was
    > the first to go empty and gave the empty message. The other 2 had not
    > quite reached that point, so did not get a message on them. Could
    > that explain why only the first reset? If so, how can I convince the
    > others to show being refilled, or reset?
    >
    > By the way, this is a really great printer for photographs, in my
    > opinion. My favorite papers to date are Ilford Galerie and Office
    > Depot Prem High Gloss Photo paper (believed to actually be Konica).
    >
    > Olin McDaniel

    You can't, at least to my knowledge, force a reset of the tank levels
    indicator (I have a S9000), nor is there any reason to.

    Unless the tank runs dry, the software "guesses" at the level. When the
    tank empties, however, the prism reflected light beam in the bottom of the
    tank causes the 'empty' indicator to come on which is replaced by a 'full'
    indicator when the prism light beam goes out (when you pit a full tank
    in)...

    But that does not matter. The ink levels are so easy to check visually,
    that relying on the indicator lights is not necessary.

    By the way, I found through MUCH use and practice that you get longer
    cartridge refill life if you refill before the tank completly empties
    anyway. Also, try and keep the tanks upright as one of the tank failure
    modes is to clog the vent breather on the top of the tank with dried ink.

    I have had tanks last through literally scores (probably hundreds) of
    refilling cycles. I tried to keep track of the number of refills per set of
    tanks once and gave up as it was getting rediculous.

    Tom

    Tom, Sep 24, 2003

  3. On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:45:45 GMT, "Tom"
    <> wrote:

    >"Olin K. McDaniel" <> wrote in message
    >> To any who has this printer - I recently bought one, and have had to
    >> refill 3 of the ink chambers. The ink level indicator (which shows
    >> only when actually printing, by the way) was correctly reset on the
    >> first one of these 3 refilled. The other 2 have not been reset at
    >> all. Can anyone explain why this may be? Second question - how can I
    >> get the level indicator to show at times other than when printing.
    >>
    >> As a thought, just came to me as I type this, the one that reset was
    >> the first to go empty and gave the empty message. The other 2 had not
    >> quite reached that point, so did not get a message on them. Could
    >> that explain why only the first reset? If so, how can I convince the
    >> others to show being refilled, or reset?
    >>
    >> By the way, this is a really great printer for photographs, in my
    >> opinion. My favorite papers to date are Ilford Galerie and Office
    >> Depot Prem High Gloss Photo paper (believed to actually be Konica).
    >>
    >> Olin McDaniel

    >You can't, at least to my knowledge, force a reset of the tank levels
    >indicator (I have a S9000), nor is there any reason to.

    I believe there might be a reason, see further below.

    >Unless the tank runs dry, the software "guesses" at the level. When the
    >tank empties, however, the prism reflected light beam in the bottom of the
    >tank causes the 'empty' indicator to come on which is replaced by a 'full'
    >indicator when the prism light beam goes out (when you pit a full tank
    >in)...

    Well, the software "guessing" goes awry when it gets refilled without
    being reset, doesn't it?

    >But that does not matter. The ink levels are so easy to check visually,
    >that relying on the indicator lights is not necessary.

    After you pointed this out, I tried checking them. And, yes, if I
    take a good flashlight to illuminate them from directly above, I can
    then see the liquid level. Otherwise, I must unlatch each one and
    lift it a small distance to see the level - this in a room lit with
    normal ceiling incandescent lighting.

    >By the way, I found through MUCH use and practice that you get longer
    >cartridge refill life if you refill before the tank completly empties
    >anyway. Also, try and keep the tanks upright as one of the tank failure
    >modes is to clog the vent breather on the top of the tank with dried ink.

    Good point re the clogged vent breathers. But your experience of the
    extended life is what I referred to above - this seems like an
    important reason to know the level is near empty before it actually
    reports it as empty, isn't it? OR is there enough left in the sponge
    to avoid problems if refilled promptly after notification?

    >I have had tanks last through literally scores (probably hundreds) of
    >refilling cycles. I tried to keep track of the number of refills per set of
    >tanks once and gave up as it was getting rediculous.
    >
    >Tom

    Thanks for your insight and experience. As noted in my original post,
    I'm using a Canon printer for the first time, all my previous ones
    were HP.

    Olin

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Olin K. McDaniel

    > >You can't, at least to my knowledge, force a reset of the tank levels
    > >indicator (I have a S9000), nor is there any reason to.

    > I believe there might be a reason, see further below.
    > >
    > >Unless the tank runs dry, the software "guesses" at the level. When the
    > >tank empties, however, the prism reflected light beam in the bottom of

    the
    > >tank causes the 'empty' indicator to come on which is replaced by a

    'full'
    > >indicator when the prism light beam goes out (when you pit a full tank
    > >in)...
    > >

    > Well, the software "guessing" goes awry when it gets refilled without
    > being reset, doesn't it?

    Yes it does, but as I said... so what?

    > >But that does not matter. The ink levels are so easy to check visually,
    > >that relying on the indicator lights is not necessary.

    > After you pointed this out, I tried checking them. And, yes, if I
    > take a good flashlight to illuminate them from directly above, I can
    > then see the liquid level. Otherwise, I must unlatch each one and
    > lift it a small distance to see the level - this in a room lit with
    > normal ceiling incandescent lighting.

    Forget the flashlight. It takes about two seconds to pop a tank out, look
    at it and pop it back. You want to refill before they get empty anyway.

    You will find with experience that the PM and PC tanks are the ones that run
    out the quickest.

    > Good point re the clogged vent breathers. But your experience of the
    > extended life is what I referred to above - this seems like an
    > important reason to know the level is near empty before it actually
    > reports it as empty, isn't it?

    Correct, so check them visually, refilll before they get empty. Simple.

    Tom

    Tom, Sep 24, 2003