    One Big grip it seems from comments on the net is that the basic model does not come with the
    Freeagent tools, and you can't even dnload it.

    Tools Only comes with the Freeagent Pro model..

    Greg House, Jul 26, 2007

  2. Greg House

    impossible Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Recently brought a Seagate Freeagent hard drive, you can turn it off by
    > stopping the USB, by
    > Safely Removing Hardware, But to restart it again you have to do a USB
    > replug.??
    >
    > Sorely if it can be tuned off by software why can't it be turn on again
    > with out the Replug..?

    Don't know exactly. But if you check your FreeAgent user manual you'll see
    that you can disconnect the drive simply by turning the power switch off,
    and then reconnect it by turning the power switch back on, which is much
    handier. There's a safety issue here, of course, because you wouldn't want
    to switich power off in the middle of a write operation -- and that's
    precisely the kind of mistake that Windows helps you to avoid with its
    "Safely Remove Hardware" function. But, as you've discovered, that function
    seems to render the device completely invisible to Windows until replugged.
    Experienced hands like yourself will just have to choose which method works
    best.

    > One Big grip it seems from comments on the net is that the basic model
    > does not come with the
    > Freeagent tools, and you can't even dnload it.
    >
    > Tools Only comes with the Freeagent Pro model..

    The hardware for the Pro and Desktop models are identical, and there is no
    software required to run either. The "tools" bundled with the Pro version
    are a variant of Acronis's backup software, and if this is useful to you
    then it's probably worth the extra charge. Otherwise, just go back to the
    Seagate site and download their latest "Disk Wizard", a free version of same
    which provides more basic disk imaging support.

    impossible, Jul 26, 2007

  3. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:19:53 -0400, "impossible" <> wrote:

    >"Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Recently brought a Seagate Freeagent hard drive, you can turn it off by
    >> stopping the USB, by
    >> Safely Removing Hardware, But to restart it again you have to do a USB
    >> replug.??
    >>
    >> Sorely if it can be tuned off by software why can't it be turn on again
    >> with out the Replug..?
    >>

    >Don't know exactly. But if you check your FreeAgent user manual you'll see
    >that you can disconnect the drive simply by turning the power switch off,
    >and then reconnect it by turning the power switch back on, which is much
    >handier.

    Unit does not have a Power switch and it connected to a multi way bock under the bench, sort of hard
    to get at, I often use the PC do dnload large files at night, due to only having dial up, but I do
    not need the drive running all night etc..

    The USB port that is used is at the back of the PC and a bit hard to get at, the 2 front ports get
    in the way with my coffee cup when used..

    >There's a safety issue here, of course, because you wouldn't want
    >to switich power off in the middle of a write operation -- and that's
    >precisely the kind of mistake that Windows helps you to avoid with its
    >"Safely Remove Hardware" function. But, as you've discovered, that function
    >seems to render the device completely invisible to Windows until replugged.
    >Experienced hands like yourself will just have to choose which method works
    >best.
    >

    >> One Big grip it seems from comments on the net is that the basic model
    >> does not come with the
    >> Freeagent tools, and you can't even dnload it.
    >>
    >> Tools Only comes with the Freeagent Pro model..
    >>

    >The hardware for the Pro and Desktop models are identical, and there is no
    >software required to run either. The "tools" bundled with the Pro version
    >are a variant of Acronis's backup software, and if this is useful to you
    >then it's probably worth the extra charge. Otherwise, just go back to the
    >Seagate site and download their latest "Disk Wizard", a free version of same
    >which provides more basic disk imaging support.

    The Pro uses eStata and has a Firewire port and lit up top.

    From the Reviews they use Geedo software and Memeo backup, I don't think that Memeo can backup XP
    etc..

    Greg House, Jul 26, 2007
  4. Greg House

    impossible Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:19:53 -0400, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Recently brought a Seagate Freeagent hard drive, you can turn it off by
    >>> stopping the USB, by
    >>> Safely Removing Hardware, But to restart it again you have to do a USB
    >>> replug.??
    >>>
    >>> Sorely if it can be tuned off by software why can't it be turn on again
    >>> with out the Replug..?
    >>>

    >>Don't know exactly. But if you check your FreeAgent user manual you'll see
    >>that you can disconnect the drive simply by turning the power switch off,
    >>and then reconnect it by turning the power switch back on, which is much
    >>handier.

    > Unit does not have a Power switch and it connected to a multi way bock
    > under the bench, sort of hard
    > to get at, I often use the PC do dnload large files at night, due to only
    > having dial up, but I do
    > not need the drive running all night etc..
    >

    > The USB port that is used is at the back of the PC and a bit hard to get
    > at, the 2 front ports get
    > in the way with my coffee cup when used..
    >

    >>There's a safety issue here, of course, because you wouldn't want
    >>to switich power off in the middle of a write operation -- and that's
    >>precisely the kind of mistake that Windows helps you to avoid with its
    >>"Safely Remove Hardware" function. But, as you've discovered, that
    >>function
    >>seems to render the device completely invisible to Windows until
    >>replugged.
    >>Experienced hands like yourself will just have to choose which method
    >>works
    >>best.
    >>

    >>> One Big grip it seems from comments on the net is that the basic model
    >>> does not come with the
    >>> Freeagent tools, and you can't even dnload it.
    >>>
    >>> Tools Only comes with the Freeagent Pro model..
    >>>

    >>The hardware for the Pro and Desktop models are identical, and there is no
    >>software required to run either. The "tools" bundled with the Pro version
    >>are a variant of Acronis's backup software, and if this is useful to you
    >>then it's probably worth the extra charge. Otherwise, just go back to the
    >>Seagate site and download their latest "Disk Wizard", a free version of
    >>same
    >>which provides more basic disk imaging support.
    >>

    > The Pro uses eStata and has a Firewire port and lit up top.
    >
    > From the Reviews they use Geedo software and Memeo backup, I don't think
    > that Memeo can backup XP
    > etc..

    Have a look here at the user manual:

    http://www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/FreeAgent_Pro_Data_Mover.pdf

    The bundled software does seem to handle backups/rollbacks in XP. But you're
    right about the hardware limitations of the Desktop models -- my mistake.
    The Pro version is the one with the power switch, among other things. Any
    chance you can simply return the model you have and upgrade? For
    equivalent-size drives, the Pro model is listed on Seagate's site as being
    just US$30 more. Might be worth it in the long run.

    impossible, Jul 26, 2007
  5. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:17:33 -0400, "impossible" <> wrote:

    >"Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:19:53 -0400, "impossible" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Greg House" <> wrote in message

    >>>Don't know exactly. But if you check your FreeAgent user manual you'll see
    >>>that you can disconnect the drive simply by turning the power switch off,
    >>>and then reconnect it by turning the power switch back on, which is much
    >>>handier.

    >> Unit does not have a Power switch and it connected to a multi way bock
    >> under the bench, sort of hard
    >> to get at, I often use the PC do dnload large files at night, due to only
    >> having dial up, but I do
    >> not need the drive running all night etc..
    >>

    >> The USB port that is used is at the back of the PC and a bit hard to get
    >> at, the 2 front ports get
    >> in the way with my coffee cup when used..
    >>

    >http://www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/FreeAgent_Pro_Data_Mover.pdf
    >
    >The bundled software does seem to handle backups/rollbacks in XP. But you're
    >right about the hardware limitations of the Desktop models -- my mistake.
    >The Pro version is the one with the power switch, among other things. Any
    >chance you can simply return the model you have and upgrade? For
    >equivalent-size drives, the Pro model is listed on Seagate's site as being
    >just US$30 more. Might be worth it in the long run.

    Yes but no one Sells the Pro model around here and I got mine on special from DSE and freight from
    the US can be very dear..

    The Reviews list Memeo for backups and I have it here but can not find any think about backing up
    XP etc..

    "The Memeo AutoBackup software lets you create multiple backup tasks using a click-through guide.
    You start by choosing your backup location: a hard drive (presumably the Seagate drive in this case,
    but potentially any other connected hard drive); Seagate Internet Drive (on Seagate's servers; more
    on this below); a network location; a flash drive; or an iPod. You can decide how many versions you
    want of each file and whether you want the files encrypted; if you choose to encrypt files, you'll
    need to use the AutoBackup software to restore them. Then select what files and folders you want
    backed up. The SmartPicks window lets you choose by broad categories: My Documents, My Pictures,
    browser bookmarks, photos and music, and so on. Alternately, you can manually choose specific
    folders or designate items by file extension and you can exclude particular file types as well.
    Because AutoBackup is a real-time backup program, it runs only when files in the designated folders
    have changed or when you add a file. For detachable targets such as a flash drive or an iPod, a
    backup will occur the next time you plug that device into your PC. "

    http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/seagate-freeagent-pro-usb/4505-3186_7-32378438.html

    Greg House, Jul 27, 2007
  6. Greg House

    impossible Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:17:33 -0400, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/FreeAgent_Pro_Data_Mover.pdf
    >>
    >>The bundled software does seem to handle backups/rollbacks in XP. But
    >>you're
    >>right about the hardware limitations of the Desktop models -- my mistake.
    >>The Pro version is the one with the power switch, among other things. Any
    >>chance you can simply return the model you have and upgrade? For
    >>equivalent-size drives, the Pro model is listed on Seagate's site as being
    >>just US$30 more. Might be worth it in the long run.
    >>

    > Yes but no one Sells the Pro model around here and I got mine on special
    > from DSE and freight from
    > the US can be very dear..
    >

    > The Reviews list Memeo for backups and I have it here but can not find
    > any think about backing up
    > XP etc..

    http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/seagate-freeagent-pro-usb/4507-3186_7-32378438.html?tag=sub

    Check the "specifications" page of that review. Works with XP, Vista, Win2K,
    MacOS X.

    impossible, Jul 27, 2007
  7. Would this procedure solve your problem ?

    >The storage manager in Windows XP, like Windows 2000 before it, allows you to mount a partition
    >(which would normally be represented with a drive letter like c: or d:) as a directory inside a
    >different partition. Using this method, you could add a new hard drive to your computer and mount
    >it in a directory on your existing c: drive called 'new drive,' for example. The target drive (where
    >the directory is located) must be formatted with the NTFS file system to do this.
    >This is already a cool feature, but it takes on a new twist when used with USB drives, especially if
    >you use more than one drive on your system or network.

    More details at:

    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1676&page=9

    Lindsay Rollo
    Wellington, New Zealand

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Jul 27, 2007
  8. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 01:31:25 -0400, "impossible" <> wrote:

    >"Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:17:33 -0400, "impossible" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/FreeAgent_Pro_Data_Mover.pdf
    >>>
    >>>The bundled software does seem to handle backups/rollbacks in XP. But
    >>>you're
    >>>right about the hardware limitations of the Desktop models -- my mistake.
    >>>The Pro version is the one with the power switch, among other things. Any
    >>>chance you can simply return the model you have and upgrade? For
    >>>equivalent-size drives, the Pro model is listed on Seagate's site as being
    >>>just US$30 more. Might be worth it in the long run.
    >>>

    >> Yes but no one Sells the Pro model around here and I got mine on special
    >> from DSE and freight from
    >> the US can be very dear..
    >>

    >> The Reviews list Memeo for backups and I have it here but can not find
    >> any think about backing up
    >> XP etc..
    >>

    >http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/seagate-freeagent-pro-usb/4507-3186_7-32378438.html?tag=sub
    >

    >Check the "specifications" page of that review. Works with XP, Vista, Win2K,
    >MacOS X.

    Yes but does not backup XP..

    Greg House, Jul 27, 2007