    double click it a Printer Status Monitor opens.
    Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?
    Thanks

    John Smith, Nov 26, 2004

  2. John Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:co7fd1$9ec$...
    |I have an icon sitting in my task bar - bottom right of screen - when I
    | double click it a Printer Status Monitor opens.
    | Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?
    | Thanks

    Call your printer manufacturer and suggest it to them...I can almost hear
    them laughing now...

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2004

  3. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?

    Yes.

    Icon management is best done with icon managers. In order to trade the
    existing icon for another one, you have to have an acceptable 'other
    one' and access to where/how to trade it. Having a good choice of
    alternate icons and being able to do it easily are both facilitated by
    icon managers. Search for that with your favorite googler.

    You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place' - in
    Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab - deselect
    any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.

    [CP = Start/ Settings/ Control Panel unless you are XP in which case it
    is Start/ CP]

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 26, 2004
  4. John Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    | John Smith wrote:
    | > Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?
    |
    | Yes.
    |
    | Icon management is best done with icon managers. In order to trade the
    | existing icon for another one, you have to have an acceptable 'other
    | one' and access to where/how to trade it. Having a good choice of
    | alternate icons and being able to do it easily are both facilitated by
    | icon managers. Search for that with your favorite googler.
    |
    | You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place' - in
    | Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab - deselect
    | any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
    | C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.
    |
    | [CP = Start/ Settings/ Control Panel unless you are XP in which case it
    | is Start/ CP]

    And how is he going to apply an icon to a process running in his system
    tray? Well, maybe he can find the program code that launches the process.
    Like good luck tearing apart his printer's driver set, huh?

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2004
  5. In article <OzIpd.4308$> Mike Easter <> wrote:

    >John Smith wrote:
    >> Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?

    >Yes.

    The people who did that to an excellent driver for no reason says
    quite alot about them.

    >Icon management is best done with icon managers. In order to trade the
    >existing icon for another one, you have to have an acceptable 'other
    >one' and access to where/how to trade it. Having a good choice of
    >alternate icons and being able to do it easily are both facilitated by
    >icon managers. Search for that with your favorite googler.

    Someone needs to hit you over the head with a clue bat. Oh wait. Never
    mind. They already did.

    >You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place' - in
    >Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab - deselect
    >any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
    >C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.

    A little too late, is much too late.

    >[CP = Start/ Settings/ Control Panel unless you are XP in which case it
    >is Start/ CP]

    Perhaps they are only pretending to be xp in which case it is start
    cp. And your point is?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Btw, "Lady Chatterly" is a bot/troll. I think it usually is picking
    random phrases from articles and then "responding" to them with
    things that sometimes make sense. Other times it appears to be at
    least partly human-operated." -- henri

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 26, 2004
  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    > John Smith wrote:
    >> Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?

    > Yes.
    >
    > Icon management is best done with icon managers. In order to trade the
    > existing icon for another one, you have to have an acceptable 'other
    > one' and access to where/how to trade it. Having a good choice of
    > alternate icons and being able to do it easily are both facilitated by
    > icon managers. Search for that with your favorite googler.
    >
    > You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place' - in
    > Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab - deselect
    > any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.
    >
    > [CP = Start/ Settings/ Control Panel unless you are XP in which case it
    > is Start/ CP]
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    -------------
    OK, Thanks for the tips...seems complicated...may well leave well alone :)
    ------------------

    John Smith, Nov 26, 2004
  7. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> John Smith wrote:
    >>> Can I replace the actual icon graphic in the tray with another icon?

    >> Yes.

    >> You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place'
    >> - in Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab -
    >> deselect any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
    >> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.

    > And how is he going to apply an icon to a process running in his
    > system tray? Well, maybe he can find the program code that launches
    > the process. Like good luck tearing apart his printer's driver set,
    > huh?

    I've never done it, but it looks like it can be done by hacking the
    resource.

    http://www2.ueda.ne.jp/~higuchi/htm/Icon-e.htm How to Change "Printer
    Icon"
    This chapter shows you how to change the "Printer and FAX" Icon in the
    Control Panel.-- Open "Shell32.dll" in the
    "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache" Folder with "Resource Hacker".
    "17" under the "Icon Group" Folder is the "Printer and FAX" Icon, and
    "168" is the
    "Usual Printer" Icon. <etc>

    http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/ Resource HackerTM is a
    freeware utility to view, modify, rename, add, delete and extract
    resources in 32bit Windows executables and resource files (*.res). ...
    Viewing Resources: Cursor, Icon, Bitmap, GIF, AVI, and JPG resource
    images can be viewed. .... Saving Resources: Resources can be saved as
    image files (*.ico, *.bmp etc), as script files (*.rc), as binary
    resource files (*.res), or as untyped binary files (*.bin).....
    Modifying Resources: Resources can be modified by replacing the resource
    with a resource located in another file (*.ico, *.bmp, *.res etc) or
    by.... <etc>

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 26, 2004
  8. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I've never done it, but it looks like it can be done by hacking the
    > resource.

    I /have/ extracted an icon from an executable or similar resource with
    Microangelo and did something with it, put it somewhere, or maybe
    changed it, but I don't remember what that story was.

    Not because I knew what I was doing, but because someone somewhere -
    like a newsgroup - 'told me' how to do it.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 26, 2004
  9. John Smith

    | Mike Easter wrote:
    | > I've never done it, but it looks like it can be done by hacking the
    | > resource.
    |
    | I /have/ extracted an icon from an executable or similar resource with
    | Microangelo and did something with it, put it somewhere, or maybe
    | changed it, but I don't remember what that story was.
    |
    | Not because I knew what I was doing, but because someone somewhere -
    | like a newsgroup - 'told me' how to do it.

    It sounds plausible, but I personally won't mess with a driver or such. And
    the icon I think the OP was talking about is like the little custom printer
    monitor that Epson and HP (possibly others) installs in the system tray,
    rather than the one that shows up only while Windows is printing. Either
    way, I would tend to feel it is a bit risky to mess around pulling code/data
    (even as minute as an icon) out of a driver or executable file and replacing
    it just to change the little picture.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2004
  10. John Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > It sounds plausible, but I personally won't mess with a driver or
    > such. And the icon I think the OP was talking about is like the
    > little custom printer monitor that Epson and HP (possibly others)
    > installs in the system tray, rather than the one that shows up only
    > while Windows is printing. Either way, I would tend to feel it is a
    > bit risky to mess around pulling code/data (even as minute as an
    > icon) out of a driver or executable file and replacing it just to
    > change the little picture.

    Maybe I/we aren't clear or talking about the same thing. I'm not sure
    what a 'custom printer [icon]' for Epson or HP looks like. The little
    icon I'm familiar with is pretty 'standard' looking and simply has the
    /name/ of the printer beside the icon which can be seen in the CP
    Printer section. It also makes other appearances under other
    circumstances.

    That is, I'm familiar with a 'standard' printer icon with a specific
    printer name beside it, in 'icon font' configurable. It is unique to me
    only by its name. I think if I had several printers, they would have
    the same icon and different names. Then, when I want to go see some
    more printer icons, I can do what I described earlier and 'open up' that
    SHELL32.DLL file with my little win icon viewer/changer and see a number
    of various types of printer icons in there, maybe half a dozen.

    So, what you are saying I think is that the icon in the OP's taskbar is
    or might be derived from the driver files? Hmm. I don't know about
    that. I suppose that could be true. Maybe this is one of those deals
    in which we/I should be finding out what the OP is talking about.
    Altho' I've never felt motivated to want to change my printer icon,
    there must be something going on there, because I have had the
    experience of wanting to change an icon myself to the point of rooting
    around in some innards to do it. One can always save an old file and
    replace it if something breaks.

    At least on my own system, I think my printer icons are windows derived,
    not driver files derived. My printer driver files do have some of their
    own internal icons for various functions and configurations, but those
    seem to be peculiar to the internal configurational business, not the
    tray or other 'windows' printer icons. My instinct is that the/my
    printer icon is a windows icon.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 27, 2004
  11. John Smith

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | > It sounds plausible, but I personally won't mess with a driver or
    | > such. And the icon I think the OP was talking about is like the
    | > little custom printer monitor that Epson and HP (possibly others)
    | > installs in the system tray, rather than the one that shows up only
    | > while Windows is printing. Either way, I would tend to feel it is a
    | > bit risky to mess around pulling code/data (even as minute as an
    | > icon) out of a driver or executable file and replacing it just to
    | > change the little picture.
    |
    | Maybe I/we aren't clear or talking about the same thing. I'm not sure
    | what a 'custom printer [icon]' for Epson or HP looks like. The little
    | icon I'm familiar with is pretty 'standard' looking and simply has the
    | /name/ of the printer beside the icon which can be seen in the CP
    | Printer section. It also makes other appearances under other
    | circumstances.

    He's not talking about control panel, printers folders, etc. He was talking
    about the system tray on the taskbar.

    | That is, I'm familiar with a 'standard' printer icon with a specific
    | printer name beside it, in 'icon font' configurable. It is unique to me
    | only by its name. I think if I had several printers, they would have
    | the same icon and different names. Then, when I want to go see some
    | more printer icons, I can do what I described earlier and 'open up' that
    | SHELL32.DLL file with my little win icon viewer/changer and see a number
    | of various types of printer icons in there, maybe half a dozen.

    Yes, for the printer icons in the printers folder. But that's not what the
    OP wants changed.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 27, 2004
  12. In article <5fOpd.1108$> Mike Easter <> wrote:

    >Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Yes.

    >>> You can see your current 'stable' of icons in your Win 'icon place'
    >>> - in Win98 eg it can be accessed with the CP/ Display/ Effects tab -
    >>> deselect any desktop icon and use 'change' to open the 'interior' of
    >>> C:WINDOWSSYSTEMSHELL32.DLL with the little 'change icon' manager.

    >> And how is he going to apply an icon to a process running in his
    >> system tray? Well, maybe he can find the program code that launches
    >> the process. Like good luck tearing apart his printer's driver set,
    >> huh?

    >I've never done it, but it looks like it can be done by hacking the
    >resource.

    Lie much?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Damn, even the bot does grammar lames." -- Aratzio

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 27, 2004
  13. In article <4uOpd.4500$> Mike Easter <> wrote:

    >I /have/ extracted an icon from an executable or similar resource with
    >Microangelo and did something with it, put it somewhere, or maybe
    >changed it, but I don't remember what that story was.

    Are you curious you do not remember what that story was?

    >Not because I knew what I was doing, but because someone somewhere -
    >like a newsgroup - 'told me' how to do it.

    It would take someone that had a workaround for the same identical
    issue to help you.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Admission that Lady Chatterly kicked your ass noted." -- Daedalus

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 27, 2004