How to repair 1mm of latch plastic on Nikon CoolPix AA battery door

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rustydustin@yahoo.com, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
    camera?
    How did you repair this fragile latch?

    I just love my Nikon CoolPix 2100 because it uses two AA batteries and
    a compact flash! I'll never do without those two conveniences ever
    again!

    Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
    plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
    have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
    kid).

    Currently, I scotch tape the battery door closed. But it seems like a
    terrible waste of a perfectly good camera for lack of a 1mm piece of
    plastic to hold the battery door closed.

    Has anyone overcome this broken battery-door latch problem?
    How did you recover it (there's precious little for crazy glue to grab
    onto).

    I'd hate to have to give up the supreme convenience of the AA batteries
    and compact flash by buying another camera when this Nikon CoolPix is
    otherwise fine for my needs.

    HELP!

    , Jun 11, 2005

  2. Deedee Tee Guest

    I don't have a 2100 and can offer no details, e.g. I don't know if the
    battery cover presses the batteries against spring-loaded contacts or
    not. If the battery door does not apply pressure to the batteries, I
    would consider attaching two thin strips of Velcro on the outside of
    the door and camera body about in the position of the missing latch,
    and to keep the door closed with a wider strip of Velcro of the
    "opposite sex" tacked on top of the gap. There is adhesive-backed
    Velcro that should be suitable for the job without requiring glue.
    Probably more durable than adhesive tape, although the latter does
    work.

    Deedee Tee, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Colin D Guest

    wrote:

    > Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
    > camera?
    > How did you repair this fragile latch?
    >
    > I just love my Nikon CoolPix 2100 because it uses two AA batteries and
    > a compact flash! I'll never do without those two conveniences ever
    > again!
    >
    > Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
    > plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
    > have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
    > kid).
    >
    > Currently, I scotch tape the battery door closed. But it seems like a
    > terrible waste of a perfectly good camera for lack of a 1mm piece of
    > plastic to hold the battery door closed.
    >
    > Has anyone overcome this broken battery-door latch problem?
    > How did you recover it (there's precious little for crazy glue to grab
    > onto).
    >
    > I'd hate to have to give up the supreme convenience of the AA batteries
    > and compact flash by buying another camera when this Nikon CoolPix is
    > otherwise fine for my needs.
    >
    > HELP!

    You could try using a brass dressmaker's pin or a similar piece of very
    fine wire, and bending it into a small flat-bottomed 'U' like a staple.
    Heat the staple gently with a soldering iron, and holding it with
    needle-nosed pliers, press the legs of the 'staple' into the plastic
    body so the flat-bottomed bit becomes the latch.

    A bit fiddly, but if needs must, you can do it.

    Colin

    Colin D, Jun 11, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
    > camera?
    > How did you repair this fragile latch?
    >
    > I just love my Nikon CoolPix 2100 because it uses two AA batteries and
    > a compact flash! I'll never do without those two conveniences ever
    > again!
    >
    > Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
    > plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
    > have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
    > kid).
    >
    > Currently, I scotch tape the battery door closed. But it seems like a
    > terrible waste of a perfectly good camera for lack of a 1mm piece of
    > plastic to hold the battery door closed.
    >
    > Has anyone overcome this broken battery-door latch problem?
    > How did you recover it (there's precious little for crazy glue to grab
    > onto).

    I have used some Velcro. Works wonders.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Guest

    Deedee Tee wrote:
    > I don't have a 2100 and can offer no details, e.g. I don't know if the
    > battery cover presses the batteries against spring-loaded contacts or
    > not. If the battery door does not apply pressure to the batteries, I
    > would consider attaching two thin strips of Velcro on the outside of
    > the door and camera body about in the position of the missing latch,
    > and to keep the door closed with a wider strip of Velcro of the
    > "opposite sex" tacked on top of the gap. There is adhesive-backed
    > Velcro that should be suitable for the job without requiring glue.
    > Probably more durable than adhesive tape, although the latter does
    > work.
    >
    > On 10 Jun 2005 17:50:40 -0700, wrote:
    > >Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
    > >camera?
    > >How did you repair this fragile latch?

    I currently use scotch tape to hold the fragile Nikon CoolPix 2100
    battery door in place so I guess velcro would be even better as it's
    reusable.

    I'm thinking of replacing the camera as another (more expensive)
    option.

    The only two things I'd change on the Nikon CoolPix 2100 is I'd have it
    remember the flash settings (I never use the default, I always use fill
    flash but the camera just won't remember that!) and I'd have a stronger
    battery door.

    Is there an equivalent camera in size to the Nikon CoolPix 2100 which
    remembers the flash settings and which also uses compact flash and AA
    batteries?

    , Jun 16, 2005
  6. Guest

    Colin D wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Alas, the battery door on the CoolPix 2100 latches across a tiny 1mm
    > > plastic "bridge" which snapped off after about a year of use. All I
    > > have is two tiny 1mm plastic nubs sticking out (like a gap-toothed
    > > kid).

    > You could try using a brass dressmaker's pin or a similar piece of very
    > fine wire, and bending it into a small flat-bottomed 'U' like a staple.
    > Heat the staple gently with a soldering iron, and holding it with
    > needle-nosed pliers, press the legs of the 'staple' into the plastic
    > body so the flat-bottomed bit becomes the latch.

    It's risky (but what the heck, the camera is toast otherwise), but a
    stape is a good idea. The gap-toothed distance is about two millimeters
    so I'd need to locate a 2mm staple which I could then crazy glue in
    place after melting the access holes.

    It might work! If it does, you're a genius!

    , Jun 16, 2005
  7. Alex Butcher Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:50:40 -0700, rustydustin wrote:

    > Is anyone else missing 1mm of battery door latch on your Nikon CoolPix
    > camera?
    > How did you repair this fragile latch?

    A similar problem manifested itself on my Kodak DC215 some time after the
    expiration of the warranty. I got in touch with Kodak with a view to
    buying the appropriate spare part to fit myself, and was
    pleasantly surprised by their offer to repair it free of charge, including
    using DHL courier both ways! ISTR Kodak acknowledged this problem as a
    design fault.

    Give Nikon a ring, particularly if you're in Europe and therefore
    protected by European consumer law.

    Best Regards,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
    Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

    Alex Butcher, Jun 16, 2005