How to rename long file names in Win98/WinME?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ted Hamilton, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Ted Hamilton

    Ted Hamilton Guest

    Hi,
    for a considerable time now the very root of
    the problem still remains with Win98/WinME
    of renaming long file names once they have
    been saved.
    Saving any data, also i.e.webpages via IE
    leaves you inadvertently often enough with
    names too long for later transfer to other mediums.
    ScanDisc may also throw up long file names
    in upper root folders, some of which are really
    cumbersome to find.
    My twofold question: Does anybody know of ANY
    reasonably fast and workable solution --excluding
    starting from scratch or using XP-- that allows reasonably
    smooth correction of previously saved data in root folders
    without "resaving" and using "regedit" ?
    And one, for that same matter, can simplify life also
    during daily data transfers to other mediums?

    Ted

    Ted Hamilton, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Ted Hamilton

    dadiOH Guest

    Ted Hamilton wrote:
    > Hi,
    > for a considerable time now the very root of
    > the problem still remains with Win98/WinME
    > of renaming long file names once they have
    > been saved.
    > Saving any data, also i.e.webpages via IE
    > leaves you inadvertently often enough with
    > names too long for later transfer to other mediums.
    > ScanDisc may also throw up long file names
    > in upper root folders, some of which are really
    > cumbersome to find.
    > My twofold question: Does anybody know of ANY
    > reasonably fast and workable solution --excluding
    > starting from scratch or using XP-- that allows reasonably
    > smooth correction of previously saved data in root folders
    > without "resaving" and using "regedit" ?

    There are renaming programs that will remove "x" characters starting at
    "y" position or a particular quantity from either beginning or end;
    various other parameters as well.

    There are also programs to find (and shorten) long file names. Google
    reveals all...

    BTW, what does regedit have to do with it?

    > And one, for that same matter, can simplify life also
    > during daily data transfers to other mediums?

    For CDs, use a burning program that will handle longer file names. Some
    do up to 212...beyond that, you are SOL.

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Apr 1, 2006