How to remove the dust plug from swtich 2950

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by KP C, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. KP C

    KP C Guest

    From the Installation Guide, Cisco said you need to remove the dust
    plug before you connect with a fiber-optic cable. I just wonder what
    a dust plug is on the switch 2950 because I can't see there is one on
    the SX port.

    Can somebody tell me where the dust plug is and how to remove it?

    Thanks a lot.
    Dick

    KP C, Oct 28, 2004

  2. KP C

    Guest

    On 27 Oct 2004 21:06:40 -0700, (KP C) wrote:

    >From the Installation Guide, Cisco said you need to remove the dust
    >plug before you connect with a fiber-optic cable. I just wonder what
    >a dust plug is on the switch 2950 because I can't see there is one on
    >the SX port.
    >
    >Can somebody tell me where the dust plug is and how to remove it?
    >
    >Thanks a lot.
    >Dick

    It's pretty obvious. It's a rubber or plastic plug that fits in the
    hole in the GBIC where you'd want to stick the fiber to prevent dust
    from getting in there.

    -Chris

    , Oct 28, 2004

  3. KP C

    Marc Russell Guest

    If you don't see one, then there isn't one. A dust plug is usually installed
    in an unsed fiber port to keep dust out so that it doesn't interfere with
    the optics.

    Marc Russell
    Network Learning, Inc.
    www.ccbootcamp.com (Cisco Training)

    Marc Russell, Oct 28, 2004
  4. KP C

    Ben Guest

    It's just a little plastic piece...if your SX cable fits in the port it must
    be missing.

    Ben, Oct 28, 2004