    I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    Any suggestions ?
    NZed

    NZed, Jun 2, 2005

  2. NZed

    NZed Guest

    The only info I can find is the name Media One Networks
    NZed

    NZed, Jun 2, 2005

  3. NZed wrote:
    >>I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    >>www.stuff.co.nz.
    >>Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    >>I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    >>Any suggestions ?

    > The only info I can find is the name Media One Networks
    > NZed

    If you ad mediaone network to your hosts file then it will not load.
    sorry Im not sure of the exact URL, although I suspect that this has
    been discussed here before, and it will be mentioned in the google archives.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > NZed wrote:
    >
    >>> I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    >>> www.stuff.co.nz.
    >>> Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    >>> I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    >>> Any suggestions ?

    > > The only info I can find is the name Media One Networks
    > > NZed

    > If you ad mediaone network to your hosts file then it will not load.
    > sorry Im not sure of the exact URL, although I suspect that this has
    > been discussed here before, and it will be mentioned in the google
    > archives.

    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz...f group:nz.comp&rnum=1&hl=en#330cb62538b28b3e
    eek, long url...

    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz...d group:nz.comp&rnum=2&hl=en#6de427987d5666ad

    neither of which help, but they'll give you some back-ground.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 2, 2005
  5. NZed

    Richard Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    > www.stuff.co.nz.
    > Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    > I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    > Any suggestions ?
    > NZed

    Contact stuff, advise them you find the video advert intrusive and are concerned
    about how much of your meager "broadband" cap you are using watching the adverts
    on there.

    Richard, Jun 2, 2005
  6. NZed

    Mark C Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in news::

    > I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    > www.stuff.co.nz.
    > Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    > I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    > Any suggestions ?
    > NZed

    I've added stuff.co.nz to my IE "Restricted Sites" list, and I don't
    see the video, and stuff generally works faster for me (on a 266MHz
    PC)

    Mark

    Mark C, Jun 2, 2005
  7. NZed

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mark C <> wrote in news:429eaecb$0$1643$c3e8da3
    @news.astraweb.com:

    > "NZed" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    >> www.stuff.co.nz.
    >> Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    >> I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    >> Any suggestions ?
    >> NZed

    > I've added stuff.co.nz to my IE "Restricted Sites" list, and I don't
    > see the video, and stuff generally works faster for me (on a 266MHz
    > PC)
    >
    > Mark

    Good solution.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 2, 2005
  8. On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:04:00 +1200, NZed wrote:

    > I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    > www.stuff.co.nz.
    > Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    > I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    > Any suggestions ?
    > NZed

    I use Firefox with Adblock. Is there supposed to be ads? ;-)

    wogers nemesis, Jun 2, 2005
  9. NZed

    Matty F Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 17:04:00 +1200, NZed wrote:
    >

    >>I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    >>www.stuff.co.nz.
    >>Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    >>I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    >>Any suggestions ?
    >>NZed

    > I use Firefox with Adblock. Is there supposed to be ads? ;-)

    I use Mozilla. I've not seen any ads either.
    [/] Block unrequested popup windows

    Matty F, Jun 2, 2005
  10. "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > NZed wrote:
    >> I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    >> www.stuff.co.nz.
    >> Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    >> I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    >> Any suggestions ?
    >> NZed

    > Contact stuff, advise them you find the video advert intrusive and are
    > concerned about how much of your meager "broadband" cap you are using
    > watching the adverts on there.

    If they ever bother replying to this kind of email. I've contacted them
    before without any reply.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, Jun 2, 2005
  11. NZed

    ~misfit~ Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    > www.stuff.co.nz.
    > Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    > I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    > Any suggestions ?
    > NZed

    I disallowed animation/flash in web sites and just turn it back on if
    there's something animated I want to see. Saves heaps of bandwidth.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2005
  12. NZed

    Legs Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    > www.stuff.co.nz.
    > Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    > I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    > Any suggestions ?
    > NZed

    Also used to happen for me when I connected to news items on NZ City,
    then also with some of the IDG news items.

    I told my firewall not to allow Media One through - 100 percent
    effective, no more bothersome pop-ups

    Legs, Jun 2, 2005
  13. NZed

    steve Guest

    NZed wrote:
    > I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    > www.stuff.co.nz.
    > Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    > I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    > Any suggestions ?
    > NZed

    Which browser you using?

    I use Firefox and don't get any pop-ups when I go to stuff.co.nz

    steve, Jun 2, 2005
  14. In article <>, says...
    > I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    > www.stuff.co.nz.
    > Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    > I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    > Any suggestions ?
    > NZed

    I get no such thing. Use Mozilla Firebird with 'the Proxomitron' ad
    filter (macrovision filter turned on ).

    h.t.h. -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 2, 2005
  15. NZed

    Friend Guest

    NZed <> wrote:

    > I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    > www.stuff.co.nz.
    > Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    > I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    > Any suggestions ?
    > NZed

    Add one or both of these lines to your HOSTS file

    127.0.0.1 acvsrv.mediaonenetwork.net
    127.0.0.1 acvs.mediaonenetwork.net

    The first line is the site for the javascript which loads the flash video.
    The second is the site for the flash video itself (when they are not using
    the flash site’s IP address).

    Friend.

    Friend, Jun 2, 2005
  16. NZed

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Legs wrote:
    > NZed wrote:
    >> I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    >> www.stuff.co.nz.
    >> Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    >> I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    >> Any suggestions ?
    >> NZed
    >>

    > Also used to happen for me when I connected to news items on NZ City,
    > then also with some of the IDG news items.
    >
    > I told my firewall not to allow Media One through - 100 percent
    > effective, no more bothersome pop-ups

    I wrote to NZ City and asked that they not link to pages that require a lot
    of bandwidth like that or I'd no longer be setting their site up as the
    homepage on new machines I build. I got a reply too, they said, wherever
    possible they'd link to the smallest source of the news item. I've seen a
    lot more 'Herald' stories since, or it could be my imagination.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2005
  17. NZed

    John Cawston Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    >In article <>, says...
    >

    >>I have noticed a pop up screen with a video appears when I visit
    >>www.stuff.co.nz.
    >>Does anyone one know how to remove it ?
    >>I have tried different tools...adaware, xoftspy.
    >>Any suggestions ?
    >>NZed
    >>

    >I get no such thing. Use Mozilla Firebird with 'the Proxomitron'

    Sounds like something from an old toothpaste ad.

    JC

    John Cawston, Jun 2, 2005
  18. John Cawston wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:

    >> I get no such thing. Use Mozilla Firebird with 'the Proxomitron'
    >>

    > Sounds like something from an old toothpaste ad.

    Or something made of cold steel and used by proctologists with a cruel
    sense of humour.

    A L P

    Agnes Volestrangler XIII, Jun 2, 2005
  19. NZed

    PAM. Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message

    > I get no such thing. Use Mozilla Firebird with 'the Proxomitron' ad
    > filter (macrovision filter turned on ).

    WOW. Has Moz brought out a new browser? Is it a mix of both broswer and
    email client?
    :)

    PAM.

    PAM., Jun 2, 2005
  20. In article <xiKne.4876$>,
    says...
    > "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I get no such thing. Use Mozilla Firebird with 'the Proxomitron' ad
    > > filter (macrovision filter turned on ).

    > WOW. Has Moz brought out a new browser? Is it a mix of both broswer and
    > email client?
    > :)
    >
    > PAM.

    Yeah, yeah, yeah - fireFOX. LOL.

    the Proxomitron, for those who don't know it, is a web filter that will
    remove reference to banner ads, nosy java scripts and whatever else you
    chose from your webpages before the browser ever gets to see the html.
    The nice thing about it is that you can write your own filters if you
    have a basic knowledge of boolean logic [and flowcharting].
    It's not been supported for over a year (as I recall) now, but i.m.o.
    still one very good and useful program.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 3, 2005