    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Customize Xnews - http://dcicons.fateback.com
    DC, Mar 20, 2005

  2. DC

    cluedweasel Guest

    On 20 Mar 2005 02:07:01 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    >hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    >best way to remove this stuff?

    From http://www.saltinstitute.org no less;

    Removing "salt stains" from carpets - "Salt" stains are usually caused
    by calcium chloride and magnesium chloride, not sodium chloride,
    caccording to the Carpet and Rug Institute. Rock salt has small
    amounts of both of these salts imbedded in it. The problem comes with
    solubility. Patience and lots of rinse cycles are the key and
    sometimes calcium carbonate forms and this is fairly insoluble. Try
    to vacuum most of the dry residue off before using cool to warm water
    and a very small amount of carpet shampoo. Once the cleaning solution
    has been applied, allow time for it to dissolve the deposit. Blot, do
    not scrub, the spot. Sodium chloride is more soluble at lower temps
    than at higher ones. Then rinse with clear lukewarm water, blotting
    up the excess moisture and follow with another water rinse and blot
    dry. This should work. If not, try a cleaning mixture of 1/2 white
    vinegar to 1/2 lukewarm water, allow to stand 15 minutes and rinse
    with clear water.
    cluedweasel, Mar 20, 2005

  3. "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    > hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    > best way to remove this stuff?

    Move south...

    Cleburne
    Patrick Cleburne, Mar 20, 2005
  4. DC

    DC Guest

    cluedweasel wrote:
    > On 20 Mar 2005 02:07:01 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >>Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    >>hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    >>best way to remove this stuff?

    > From http://www.saltinstitute.org no less;

    > Removing "salt stains" from carpets - "Salt" stains are usually caused
    > by calcium chloride and magnesium chloride, not sodium chloride,
    > caccording to the Carpet and Rug Institute. Rock salt has small
    > amounts of both of these salts imbedded in it. The problem comes with
    > solubility. Patience and lots of rinse cycles are the key and
    > sometimes calcium carbonate forms and this is fairly insoluble. Try
    > to vacuum most of the dry residue off before using cool to warm water
    > and a very small amount of carpet shampoo. Once the cleaning solution
    > has been applied, allow time for it to dissolve the deposit. Blot, do
    > not scrub, the spot. Sodium chloride is more soluble at lower temps
    > than at higher ones. Then rinse with clear lukewarm water, blotting
    > up the excess moisture and follow with another water rinse and blot
    > dry. This should work. If not, try a cleaning mixture of 1/2 white
    > vinegar to 1/2 lukewarm water, allow to stand 15 minutes and rinse
    > with clear water.

    Cool. I'll check that out.

    I'm also hoping for some first-hand feedback. I'd hate to ruin my car's
    interior -- I was hesitant to use warm water for fear that it would
    simply spread the dissolved salt water and increase the chance of
    rusting out the floorboard prematurely.

    I appreciate the help.

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  5. DC

    DC Guest

    Patrick Cleburne wrote:
    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    >> hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    >> best way to remove this stuff?

    > Move south...

    No thanks. I'm unarmed.

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  6. DC

    cluedweasel Guest

    On 20 Mar 2005 02:25:17 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >cluedweasel wrote:
    >> On 20 Mar 2005 02:07:01 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >>>Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    >>>hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    >>>best way to remove this stuff?

    >I'm also hoping for some first-hand feedback. I'd hate to ruin my car's
    >interior -- I was hesitant to use warm water for fear that it would
    >simply spread the dissolved salt water and increase the chance of
    >rusting out the floorboard prematurely.

    I always put some cheap rubber mats from Walmart in my cars at the
    start of winter. Then again, I'm just a smartarse.
    cluedweasel, Mar 20, 2005
  7. DC

    DC Guest

    cluedweasel wrote:
    > On 20 Mar 2005 02:25:17 GMT, DC <> wrote:

    >>cluedweasel wrote:

    >>I'm also hoping for some first-hand feedback. I'd hate to ruin my car's
    >>interior -- I was hesitant to use warm water for fear that it would
    >>simply spread the dissolved salt water and increase the chance of
    >>rusting out the floorboard prematurely.

    > I always put some cheap rubber mats from Walmart in my cars at the
    > start of winter. Then again, I'm just a smartarse.

    I've got Pant Savers(tm) in my car, but no mat catches everything. And
    the kids can't seem to keep their goddamn feet on them. }:O)

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  8. DC

    Jerry G. Guest

    Your method, is exactly what I have used, and it worked well for me!

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    From http://www.saltinstitute.org no less;

    Jerry G., Mar 20, 2005
  9. DC wrote:

    > I've got Pant Savers(tm) in my car, but no mat catches everything.

    Sounds like you're talking about underwear... :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 20, 2005
  10. DC

    Scraggy Guest

    DC wrote:
    > Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    > hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    > best way to remove this stuff?

    We use a Wet and Dry Vacuum. Various vehicles over many years. Dry vac then
    carpet shampoo on the wet cycle.
    --
    I told his psychiatrist that everyone hates him. He said I was being
    ridiculous - everyone hasn't met him yet. Rodney Dangerfield
    Scraggy, Mar 20, 2005
  11. "DC" <> wrote in message
    > Patrick Cleburne wrote:
    >> "DC" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    >>> hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    >>> best way to remove this stuff?

    >> Move south...

    > No thanks. I'm unarmed.

    Not to worry-- most bars and restaurants do a weapons check at the door. If
    you don't have a pistol, they issue you one.

    Cleburne
    Patrick Cleburne, Mar 20, 2005
  12. DC

    DC Guest

    Patrick Cleburne wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> Patrick Cleburne wrote:
    >>> "DC" <> wrote in message

    >>> Move south...

    >> No thanks. I'm unarmed.

    > Not to worry-- most bars and restaurants do a weapons check at the door. If
    > you don't have a pistol, they issue you one.

    Funny that you mention that -- a friend of mine went on a road trip
    through Louisiana and said the same thing after visiting some backwoods
    watering hole. }:O)

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  13. DC

    DC Guest

    Scraggy wrote:
    > DC wrote:
    >> Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    >> hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    >> best way to remove this stuff?

    > We use a Wet and Dry Vacuum. Various vehicles over many years. Dry vac then
    > carpet shampoo on the wet cycle.

    Thanks.

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  14. DC

    Top Guest

    DC <> wrote in

    > Patrick Cleburne wrote:
    >
    >> "DC" <> wrote in message

    >>> No thanks. I'm unarmed.

    >> Not to worry-- most bars and restaurants do a weapons check
    >> at the door. If you don't have a pistol, they issue you
    >> one.

    > Funny that you mention that -- a friend of mine went on a
    > road trip through Louisiana and said the same thing after
    > visiting some backwoods watering hole. }:O)

    But Louisiana is a backwoods watering hole.

    If you move to Texas a rifle rack for your pickup is NOT and
    option - it's standard equipment.

    Top

    --
    If it walks like a duck .... you know the rest.
    Top, Mar 20, 2005
  15. DC

    detailer

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Savage, MN
    Road salt buildup

    As an auto detailer, I could use 'opinions' on how to remove heavy road salt build-ups on auto carpets/floor mats.
    detailer, Mar 13, 2011