How to remove problem programs?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by dh@., Sep 20, 2005.

  1. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    Hi,

    I've been having a problem with my PC for about a year now. It will
    be working fine, and then just quit doing anything. The cursor will
    still move in response to the mouse, but clicking won't do anything.
    Sometimes moving the cursor causes it to make a buzzing sound
    and sometimes not. Up until the past few weeks, after several minutes
    it would go back to working fine again. Now it won't, and I have to
    shut down the computer and re-start. When I hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete it
    brings up the window, and sometimes it says KFC.exe not responding,
    or something similar. So I did a HouseCall virus check (for the first time
    in years), and it found 24 problems. Apparently if fixed all but these:

    C:\sysconf462.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sp-update.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Windows-Time.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\viri-check.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\zkio.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MAFIA-sucks-anal.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KFC.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\messenger.exe

    which I believe are viruses or something that I don't need around.
    It could not remove them because they were in use. I can find the
    programs and access their properties, and have unchecked the
    Read-only, Archive and Hidden boxes. But still when I try to delete
    them this message appears:
    Cannot delete sysconf462: Access is denied.

    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    and that the file is not currently in use.
    Is it likely that they are a cause of problems? If so, how can I get rid
    of them?

    Thanks for any help!
    David

    dh@., Sep 20, 2005

  2. dh@.

    Mark Mandell Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been having a problem with my PC for about a year now. It will
    > be working fine, and then just quit doing anything. The cursor will
    > still move in response to the mouse, but clicking won't do anything.
    > Sometimes moving the cursor causes it to make a buzzing sound
    > and sometimes not. Up until the past few weeks, after several minutes
    > it would go back to working fine again. Now it won't, and I have to
    > shut down the computer and re-start. When I hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete it
    > brings up the window, and sometimes it says KFC.exe not responding,
    > or something similar. So I did a HouseCall virus check (for the first time
    > in years), and it found 24 problems. Apparently if fixed all but these:
    >
    > C:\sysconf462.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sp-update.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Windows-Time.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\viri-check.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\zkio.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MAFIA-sucks-anal.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KFC.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\messenger.exe
    >
    > which I believe are viruses or something that I don't need around.
    > It could not remove them because they were in use. I can find the
    > programs and access their properties, and have unchecked the
    > Read-only, Archive and Hidden boxes. But still when I try to delete
    > them this message appears:
    > Cannot delete sysconf462: Access is denied.
    >
    > Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    > and that the file is not currently in use.
    > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    > Is it likely that they are a cause of problems? If so, how can I get rid
    > of them?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > David

    Check out an anti-spyware program called Ewido using the google search.
    Then there's the Microsoft Beta version anti-spyware program as well.
    Apparently the anti=program you're running is itself not sufficient.

    Mark Mandell, Sep 20, 2005

  3. dh@.

    Bob Hobden Guest

    "Mark Mandell" wrote

    > Check out an anti-spyware program called Ewido using the google search.
    > Then there's the Microsoft Beta version anti-spyware program as well.
    > Apparently the anti=program you're running is itself not sufficient.

    The Microsoft anti-spyware works well, you get it at..........
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

    --
    Regards
    Bob

    Bob Hobden, Sep 20, 2005
  4. dh@.

    John Weiss Guest

    <dh@.> wrote...
    > So I did a HouseCall virus check (for the first time
    > in years), and it found 24 problems. Apparently if fixed all but these:
    >
    > It could not remove them because they were in use. I can find the
    > programs and access their properties, and have unchecked the
    > Read-only, Archive and Hidden boxes. But still when I try to delete
    > them this message appears:
    > Cannot delete sysconf462: Access is denied.

    At this point your BEST bet is to backup your data, wipe the disk (repartition
    and reformat) and reload from scratch.

    Failing that, start it in Safe Mode or with the Recovery Console (boot from CD
    if possible) and delete the offending program files from there.

    Another option is to boot from a Knoppix Linux CD and delete the offending
    files.

    John Weiss, Sep 20, 2005
  5. dh@.

    Rich Wilson Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been having a problem with my PC for about a year now. It will
    > be working fine, and then just quit doing anything. The cursor will
    > still move in response to the mouse, but clicking won't do anything.
    > Sometimes moving the cursor causes it to make a buzzing sound
    > and sometimes not. Up until the past few weeks, after several minutes
    > it would go back to working fine again. Now it won't, and I have to
    > shut down the computer and re-start. When I hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete it
    > brings up the window, and sometimes it says KFC.exe not responding,
    > or something similar. So I did a HouseCall virus check (for the first time
    > in years), and it found 24 problems. Apparently if fixed all but these:
    >
    > C:\sysconf462.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sp-update.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Windows-Time.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\viri-check.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\zkio.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MAFIA-sucks-anal.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KFC.exe
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\messenger.exe
    >
    > which I believe are viruses or something that I don't need around.
    > It could not remove them because they were in use. I can find the
    > programs and access their properties, and have unchecked the
    > Read-only, Archive and Hidden boxes. But still when I try to delete
    > them this message appears:
    > Cannot delete sysconf462: Access is denied.
    >
    > Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    > and that the file is not currently in use.
    > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    > Is it likely that they are a cause of problems? If so, how can I get rid
    > of them?

    You can't delete them because they're running. Assuming you've got Windows
    XP, use the "processes" tab of the Task Manager to kill them off, then
    delete them. (You can find the Task Manager by pressing ctrl-alt-del.)

    And you need to work out where these things are coming from. Make sure your
    copy of Windows is up-to-date (use Windows Update), make sure you've got a
    firewall on your internet connection and, most importantly, use vast amounts
    of scepticism when browsing the net. If you ever get a "click yes to
    install..." message, choose "no" unless you really know what it is.

    Rich Wilson, Sep 21, 2005
  6. Rich Wilson wrote:
    > <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I've been having a problem with my PC for about a year now. It will
    >>be working fine, and then just quit doing anything. The cursor will
    >>still move in response to the mouse, but clicking won't do anything.
    >>Sometimes moving the cursor causes it to make a buzzing sound
    >>and sometimes not. Up until the past few weeks, after several minutes
    >>it would go back to working fine again. Now it won't, and I have to
    >>shut down the computer and re-start. When I hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete it
    >>brings up the window, and sometimes it says KFC.exe not responding,
    >>or something similar. So I did a HouseCall virus check (for the first time
    >>in years), and it found 24 problems. Apparently if fixed all but these:
    >>
    >>C:\sysconf462.exe
    >>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sp-update.exe
    >>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Windows-Time.exe
    >>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\viri-check.exe
    >>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\zkio.exe
    >>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MAFIA-sucks-anal.exe
    >>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KFC.exe
    >>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\messenger.exe
    >>
    >>which I believe are viruses or something that I don't need around.
    >>It could not remove them because they were in use. I can find the
    >>programs and access their properties, and have unchecked the
    >>Read-only, Archive and Hidden boxes. But still when I try to delete
    >>them this message appears:
    >>_________________________________________________________
    >>Cannot delete sysconf462: Access is denied.
    >>
    >>Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    >>and that the file is not currently in use.
    >>¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    >>Is it likely that they are a cause of problems? If so, how can I get rid
    >>of them?

    > You can't delete them because they're running. Assuming you've got Windows
    > XP, use the "processes" tab of the Task Manager to kill them off, then
    > delete them. (You can find the Task Manager by pressing ctrl-alt-del.)

    You often can't figure out which one is what in order to kill it in task
    manager. Boot to safe mode and delete them from there. Or, boot repair mode
    and delete from there.

    It's not easy at all to clean them but it can be done with enough
    perseverance. The problem is they keep reinstalling themselves so you need
    to find the startup entries that are kicking them off and delete those.
    Then boot into safe mode to delete the files. they'll probably pop back up
    again so it's a whittle them down process to see where they're coming from
    and hunt it down.

    Once you determine a particular 'type', then search the registry for all
    entries that have the name and delete them. Then the next one, and on and on.

    Also check I.E. as they embed 'helpers' into it that reinfect.

    The scanners will get most of them but not all.

    > And you need to work out where these things are coming from. Make sure your
    > copy of Windows is up-to-date (use Windows Update), make sure you've got a
    > firewall on your internet connection and, most importantly, use vast amounts
    > of scepticism when browsing the net. If you ever get a "click yes to
    > install..." message, choose "no" unless you really know what it is.

    Sometimes all the choices do an install regardless of what they say. Safer
    is to make sure the top window bar is a real one (matches your theme) and
    close with the X. But sometimes they create a frameless window and put a
    fake frame in it so what looks like the X close button ALSO does an install
    so the safest is to kill it from task manager.

    David Maynard, Sep 21, 2005
  7. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:29:01 -0500, David Maynard <> wrote:

    >Rich Wilson wrote:
    >> <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I've been having a problem with my PC for about a year now. It will
    >>>be working fine, and then just quit doing anything. The cursor will
    >>>still move in response to the mouse, but clicking won't do anything.
    >>>Sometimes moving the cursor causes it to make a buzzing sound
    >>>and sometimes not. Up until the past few weeks, after several minutes
    >>>it would go back to working fine again. Now it won't, and I have to
    >>>shut down the computer and re-start. When I hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete it
    >>>brings up the window, and sometimes it says KFC.exe not responding,
    >>>or something similar. So I did a HouseCall virus check (for the first time
    >>>in years), and it found 24 problems. Apparently if fixed all but these:
    >>>
    >>>C:\sysconf462.exe
    >>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sp-update.exe
    >>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Windows-Time.exe
    >>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\viri-check.exe
    >>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\zkio.exe
    >>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MAFIA-sucks-anal.exe
    >>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KFC.exe
    >>>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\messenger.exe
    >>>
    >>>which I believe are viruses or something that I don't need around.
    >>>It could not remove them because they were in use. I can find the
    >>>programs and access their properties, and have unchecked the
    >>>Read-only, Archive and Hidden boxes. But still when I try to delete
    >>>them this message appears:
    >>>_________________________________________________________
    >>>Cannot delete sysconf462: Access is denied.
    >>>
    >>>Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    >>>and that the file is not currently in use.
    >>>¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    >>>Is it likely that they are a cause of problems? If so, how can I get rid
    >>>of them?

    >> You can't delete them because they're running. Assuming you've got Windows
    >> XP, use the "processes" tab of the Task Manager to kill them off, then
    >> delete them. (You can find the Task Manager by pressing ctrl-alt-del.)

    >You often can't figure out which one is what in order to kill it in task
    >manager. Boot to safe mode and delete them from there.

    That's what I did, and it appears to have worked. I've been on the
    computer for hours today with no problem. How is the best way to
    boot to safe mode? The only way I know to do it, is shut down, then
    re-start and keep tapping F8 until the window comes up. Is there a
    better way? I'm using Windows 98.

    >Or, boot repair mode
    >and delete from there.

    How do you do that?

    >It's not easy at all to clean them but it can be done with enough
    >perseverance. The problem is they keep reinstalling themselves so you need
    >to find the startup entries that are kicking them off and delete those.

    Shit. How?

    >Then boot into safe mode to delete the files.

    I've learned to enjoy that part ¦¬)

    >they'll probably pop back up
    >again so it's a whittle them down process to see where they're coming from
    >and hunt it down.
    >
    >Once you determine a particular 'type', then search the registry for all
    >entries that have the name and delete them. Then the next one, and on and on.
    >
    >Also check I.E. as they embed 'helpers' into it that reinfect.
    >
    >The scanners will get most of them but not all.
    >

    >> And you need to work out where these things are coming from. Make sure your
    >> copy of Windows is up-to-date (use Windows Update), make sure you've got a
    >> firewall on your internet connection and, most importantly, use vast amounts
    >> of scepticism when browsing the net. If you ever get a "click yes to
    >> install..." message, choose "no" unless you really know what it is.

    >Sometimes all the choices do an install regardless of what they say. Safer
    >is to make sure the top window bar is a real one (matches your theme) and
    >close with the X. But sometimes they create a frameless window and put a
    >fake frame in it so what looks like the X close button ALSO does an install
    >so the safest is to kill it from task manager.

    What a bunch of assholes. Too bad human nature doesn't encourage
    people to make viruses that are helpful. Wouldn't it be cool if people
    made viruses that destroyed harmful viruses? Then I guess all the
    regular virus assholes would have to try to make something to destroy
    them.... Whatever. I'm getting to old to even try to keep up. I just try to
    get by as best I can, in spite of people we'll never meet screwing us in
    the ass. Thank you all for your help!

    dh@., Sep 21, 2005
  8. dh@.

    Trax Guest

    dh@. wrote:

    |>>You often can't figure out which one is what in order to kill it in task
    |>>manager. Boot to safe mode and delete them from there.

    |>That's what I did, and it appears to have worked. I've been on the
    |>computer for hours today with no problem. How is the best way to
    |>boot to safe mode? The only way I know to do it, is shut down, then
    |>re-start and keep tapping F8 until the window comes up. Is there a
    |>better way? I'm using Windows 98.

    If your doing repair work or need to access different modes a lot edit
    your MSDOS.SYS Options to read:

    [Options]
    BootMulti=1
    BootGUI=1
    Bootdelay=10
    Bootkeys=1
    BootMenu=1
    Logo=0
    WinVer=4.10.2222

    You will be met with a menu of choices.

    |>>Or, boot repair mode
    |>>and delete from there.

    |>How do you do that?

    You don't in Win98.

    --
    http://opera.com/free/

    Trax, Sep 21, 2005
  9. dh@. wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:29:01 -0500, David Maynard <> wrote:
    >

    >>Rich Wilson wrote:

    >>>You can't delete them because they're running. Assuming you've got Windows
    >>>XP, use the "processes" tab of the Task Manager to kill them off, then
    >>>delete them. (You can find the Task Manager by pressing ctrl-alt-del.)

    >>You often can't figure out which one is what in order to kill it in task
    >>manager. Boot to safe mode and delete them from there.

    > That's what I did, and it appears to have worked. I've been on the
    > computer for hours today with no problem. How is the best way to
    > boot to safe mode? The only way I know to do it, is shut down, then
    > re-start and keep tapping F8 until the window comes up. Is there a
    > better way? I'm using Windows 98.

    That's the way.

    >>Or, boot repair mode
    >>and delete from there.

    > How do you do that?

    Well, I was thinking you were on XP but the win98 equivalent is to boot
    from a system floppy.

    >>It's not easy at all to clean them but it can be done with enough
    >>perseverance. The problem is they keep reinstalling themselves so you need
    >>to find the startup entries that are kicking them off and delete those.

    > Shit. How?

    Well, some of it takes practice and being able to tell what looks
    suspicious. Random gobbledygook things like lk985bojkn.exe aren't generally
    'good' file names. And .exe files that don't have any properties info makes
    one suspicious, although that's not a foolproof clue. But then, if the
    creation date is 'today' or 'when this started happening'...

    Also, I simply do not use ANY 'tool bars' or I.E. 'helpers' so if I find
    there suddenly is one...

    Actually, they don't suddenly appear on mine but when I'm fixing someone
    else's machine I remove all of them and then see if they 'come back'.

    >>Then boot into safe mode to delete the files.

    > I've learned to enjoy that part ¦¬)
    >

    >>they'll probably pop back up
    >>again so it's a whittle them down process to see where they're coming from
    >>and hunt it down.
    >>
    >>Once you determine a particular 'type', then search the registry for all
    >>entries that have the name and delete them. Then the next one, and on and on.
    >>
    >>Also check I.E. as they embed 'helpers' into it that reinfect.
    >>
    >>The scanners will get most of them but not all.
    >>

    >>>And you need to work out where these things are coming from. Make sure your
    >>>copy of Windows is up-to-date (use Windows Update), make sure you've got a
    >>>firewall on your internet connection and, most importantly, use vast amounts
    >>>of scepticism when browsing the net. If you ever get a "click yes to
    >>>install..." message, choose "no" unless you really know what it is.

    >>Sometimes all the choices do an install regardless of what they say. Safer
    >>is to make sure the top window bar is a real one (matches your theme) and
    >>close with the X. But sometimes they create a frameless window and put a
    >>fake frame in it so what looks like the X close button ALSO does an install
    >>so the safest is to kill it from task manager.

    > What a bunch of assholes.

    Yeah. Makes one reconsider the death penalty, don't it?

    > Too bad human nature doesn't encourage
    > people to make viruses that are helpful. Wouldn't it be cool if people
    > made viruses that destroyed harmful viruses? Then I guess all the
    > regular virus assholes would have to try to make something to destroy
    > them.... Whatever.

    Of course. And, btw, they do a version of that too. Some of the really
    nasty ones will disable, or try to disable, Norton Anti virus and others.
    And some block access to MS update, or the internet entirely to prevent you
    from getting removal tools.

    David Maynard, Sep 22, 2005
  10. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:51:56 -0500, David Maynard <> wrote:

    >dh@. wrote:

    >>>You often can't figure out which one is what in order to kill it in task
    >>>manager. Boot to safe mode and delete them from there.

    >> That's what I did, and it appears to have worked. I've been on the
    >> computer for hours today with no problem. How is the best way to
    >> boot to safe mode? The only way I know to do it, is shut down, then
    >> re-start and keep tapping F8 until the window comes up. Is there a
    >> better way? I'm using Windows 98.

    >That's the way.
    >

    >>>Or, boot repair mode
    >>>and delete from there.

    >> How do you do that?

    >Well, I was thinking you were on XP but the win98 equivalent is to boot
    >from a system floppy.
    >

    >>>It's not easy at all to clean them but it can be done with enough
    >>>perseverance. The problem is they keep reinstalling themselves so you need
    >>>to find the startup entries that are kicking them off and delete those.

    >> Shit. How?

    >Well, some of it takes practice and being able to tell what looks
    >suspicious. Random gobbledygook things like lk985bojkn.exe aren't generally
    >'good' file names. And .exe files that don't have any properties info makes
    >one suspicious, although that's not a foolproof clue. But then, if the
    >creation date is 'today' or 'when this started happening'...
    >
    >Also, I simply do not use ANY 'tool bars' or I.E. 'helpers' so if I find
    >there suddenly is one...
    >
    >Actually, they don't suddenly appear on mine but when I'm fixing someone
    >else's machine I remove all of them and then see if they 'come back'.

    The C:\sysconf462.exe came back once, so I trashed it again and
    so far it's stayed gone. The old computer has been running great
    since I got rid of the crap.

    >>>Then boot into safe mode to delete the files.

    >> I've learned to enjoy that part ¦¬)
    >>

    >>>they'll probably pop back up
    >>>again so it's a whittle them down process to see where they're coming from
    >>>and hunt it down.
    >>>
    >>>Once you determine a particular 'type', then search the registry for all
    >>>entries that have the name and delete them. Then the next one, and on and on.
    >>>
    >>>Also check I.E. as they embed 'helpers' into it that reinfect.
    >>>
    >>>The scanners will get most of them but not all.

    >>>Sometimes all the choices do an install regardless of what they say. Safer
    >>>is to make sure the top window bar is a real one (matches your theme) and
    >>>close with the X. But sometimes they create a frameless window and put a
    >>>fake frame in it so what looks like the X close button ALSO does an install
    >>>so the safest is to kill it from task manager.

    >> What a bunch of assholes.

    >Yeah. Makes one reconsider the death penalty, don't it?

    Or at least a few years someplace with a tough love sort of roommate...damn
    tuff love!

    >> Too bad human nature doesn't encourage
    >> people to make viruses that are helpful. Wouldn't it be cool if people
    >> made viruses that destroyed harmful viruses? Then I guess all the
    >> regular virus assholes would have to try to make something to destroy
    >> them.... Whatever.

    >Of course. And, btw, they do a version of that too. Some of the really
    >nasty ones will disable, or try to disable, Norton Anti virus and others.
    >And some block access to MS update, or the internet entirely to prevent you
    >from getting removal tools.

    I had a taste of that shit a few years ago. One of them wouldn't let
    me search for anti-virus websites if I remember right, but somehow I
    got to HouseCall. If I remember right I found the exact address and
    typed it in, and somehow whatever it is didn't recognise it. Maybe I
    made a Tiny URL to fool it or something. I can't remember any more.
    I should have kept a note on how to do it. I'd better do that with
    trashing things in safe mode or I'll forget how to do that too.

    But what I was thinking is that it would be cool if some people
    made viruses that just destroy other viruses. Maybe they do...maybe
    it can't be done....I don't know, but from my position of ignorance it
    seems like a cool idea..."anti-virus viruses - download here"...sounds
    good to me :)

    dh@., Sep 26, 2005
  11. dh@. wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:51:56 -0500, David Maynard <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>Actually, they don't suddenly appear on mine but when I'm fixing someone
    >>else's machine I remove all of them and then see if they 'come back'.

    > The C:\sysconf462.exe came back once, so I trashed it again and
    > so far it's stayed gone. The old computer has been running great
    > since I got rid of the crap.

    Good work. And yeah, that's another trick: make the file name look as
    'normal' as possible, especially look like a 'system' file.

    >>Yeah. Makes one reconsider the death penalty, don't it?

    > Or at least a few years someplace with a tough love sort of roommate...damn
    > tuff love!

    I sometimes wonder if they realize just how much people hate them, and I
    mean really hate them.

    >>Of course. And, btw, they do a version of that too. Some of the really
    >>nasty ones will disable, or try to disable, Norton Anti virus and others.
    >>And some block access to MS update, or the internet entirely to prevent you

    >>from getting removal tools.

    > I had a taste of that shit a few years ago. One of them wouldn't let
    > me search for anti-virus websites if I remember right, but somehow I
    > got to HouseCall. If I remember right I found the exact address and
    > typed it in, and somehow whatever it is didn't recognise it. Maybe I
    > made a Tiny URL to fool it or something. I can't remember any more.
    > I should have kept a note on how to do it. I'd better do that with
    > trashing things in safe mode or I'll forget how to do that too.

    Could be it didn't recognize the URL, yes.

    > But what I was thinking is that it would be cool if some people
    > made viruses that just destroy other viruses. Maybe they do...maybe
    > it can't be done....I don't know, but from my position of ignorance it
    > seems like a cool idea..."anti-virus viruses - download here"...sounds
    > good to me :)

    You've got the same situation as the unrecognized URL, like above. It's
    impossible to know each and every 'good' file name so a fixed program can't
    determine the bad ones either, by name anyway, and looking for a
    'signature' only works for the ones you know, and then they make another
    one. You can look for program behavior to try and limit the effect, and
    what's affected, but a lot of them get in through direct human action that
    'authorizes' it.

    But what you've described is an anti-virus program: Norton, McAfee, etc.

    The best way is to prevent them from getting in to begin with because it's
    a lot easier to block than search and destroy. Think Alamo: you're in a
    heck of a lot more trouble if the outer wall is breached ;)

    David Maynard, Sep 27, 2005