Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Caractucus Potts, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. How do I remove items from the add remove list which are no longer on my
    pc.
    Tia
    Caractucus Potts, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Caractucus Potts

    John Holmes Guest

    Caractucus Potts blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    I found this: http://tinyurl.com/bgn4m

    --
    Your mother was a talkative actress who used to download pornographic
    material in a small tent.
    John Holmes, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Caractucus Potts

    Vanguard Guest

    "Caractucus Potts" <> wrote in message
    > How do I remove items from the add remove list which are no longer on
    > my
    > pc.

    Before editing the registry, back it up (export the hive under which you
    edit or just the keys you edit). Go in the registry (using regedit.exe)
    and delete the uninstall key(s) for each application under:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    The key name under the above path is often the same as the program but
    some programs used the classID to identify themselves. The classID is a
    32-bit hyphenated number in the format
    "{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx--xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}". For the latter case, you can
    select each one and then look at the data items within the registry key
    where usually one of them is a descriptor of the program which will tell
    you what that registry key is for, like the DisplayName data item.
    Understand that deleting this uninstall registry key does NOT remove
    other registry keys associated with this program, any Start menu group
    and shortcuts for the program, or any files left on your hard drive.
    You may still have do to do lots of cleanup.

    You never bothered to mention WHICH operating system you are using. The
    mention of "Add/Remove Programs" probably means you are using Windows
    but there are several versions of it. Don't assume everyone uses what
    you use. In Windows XP, in Add/Remove Programs, there should be a
    Remove option for an item, or running its uninstall will popup an alert
    that no uninstall key exists for that item and asks if you want to
    remove it.

    Of course, if the problem is that the entry is missing from Add/Remove
    Programs but would normally be there, you could just reinstall the
    program which adds its uninstall key in the registry and then use
    Add/Remove Programs to uninstall it (or some provide a shortcut in their
    Start menu group that runs the uninstall). It is also possible that the
    program you want to uninstall never does add a uninstall registry key or
    uninstall shortcut because its "install" is just to copy some files into
    a path (so you just delete those files, and their directory if it isn't
    shared by another program).
    Vanguard, Jul 3, 2005
  4. Caractucus Potts

    Fred is back Guest

    Vanguard <> wrote:

    > Before editing the registry, back it up (export the hive under which you
    > edit or just the keys you edit)

    There is only one.

    > Go in the registry (using regedit.exe) and delete the uninstall
    > key(s) for each application
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall The
    > key name under the above path is often the same as the program but some
    > programs used the classID to identify themselves.

    When was the last time?

    > The classID is a 32-bit hyphenated number in the format
    > "{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx--xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}".

    > For the latter case, you can select each one and then look at the data
    > items within the registry key where usually one of them is a descriptor of
    > the program which will tell you what that registry key is for, like the
    > DisplayName data item.

    I don't want to.

    > Understand that deleting this uninstall registry key does NOT remove
    > other registry keys associated with this program, any Start menu group and
    > shortcuts for the program, or any files left on your hard drive.

    Can you program in c?

    > You may still have do to do lots of cleanup.

    Why would you want to prove the point that you are a fool, Vanguard?

    > You never bothered to mention WHICH operating system you are using.

    No, it's definitely you who is using.

    > The mention of "Add/Remove Programs" probably means you are using
    > Windows but there are several versions of it.

    I doubt it. Can you prove that I am using windows but there are several
    versions of it?

    > Don't assume everyone uses what you use.

    Everyone?

    > In Windows XP, in Add/Remove Programs, there should be a Remove option
    > for an item, or running its uninstall will popup an alert that no
    > uninstall key exists for that item and asks if you want to remove it.

    Do you find food desirable?

    Tell some **** that cares.

    > It is also possible that the program you want to uninstall never does
    > add a uninstall registry key or uninstall shortcut because its "install"
    > is just to copy some files into a path (so you just delete those files,
    > and their directory if it isn't shared by another program)

    What do you want from life?
    Fred is back, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Caractucus Potts

    John Ray Guest

    Caractucus Potts wrote:

    > How do I remove items from the add remove list which are no longer on my
    > pc.

    Download Microsoft's Tweakui - it has a tool for doing just that.

    --
    John Ray
    John Ray, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Caractucus Potts

    doS Guest

    You remove the programs the correct way to start with.

    doS, Jul 3, 2005