    rid of certain icons and prevent them from
    re-appearing at my next boot??

    Thanks in advance

    Collector, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Collector

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:sJGVf.18161$,
    Collector spewed forth:
    > I know this is an easy task. How can I get
    > rid of certain icons and prevent them from
    > re-appearing at my next boot??
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Get specific. Which one(s)?

    Some will allow you to turn them off, some won't. First, try a click or
    right-click on them and see if they have "Disable Icon" or "Disable
    quickstart" or something similar in the menu. Otherwise you may need to open
    the specific application which placed the icon in the system tray and see if
    there is a disable option there.

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Collector wrote:
    > I know this is an easy task. How can I get
    > rid of certain icons and prevent them from
    > re-appearing at my next boot??
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Well, you can use Start > Run > msconfig and disable things in the
    Startup tab from there. There'll be people who squawk uncontrollably
    about this is just a test method and not a solution, but you be the
    judge. If you disable things there and they stay disabled to your
    satisfaction, get on with your daily life. If you disable them there and
    they come back, uninstall them or open the program and find out how to
    keep them out of automatic startup.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Collector

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 00:54:48 +0000, Collector wrote:

    > I know this is an easy task. How can I get
    > rid of certain icons and prevent them from
    > re-appearing at my next boot??
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Stop the processes that put them there. Some you can right click and
    choose disable. Experiment a little.

    Meat Plow, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Collector

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Collector - There are several approaches you can use to make controlling
    the Startup process easier. In addition to using msconfig:

    Go here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and get Mike Lin's Startup
    Control Panel applet. Recommended. A somewhat more difficult to use but
    more extensive program to do the same thing is StartupList from here:
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html, or even better, Autoruns from
    here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml. This one
    shows many additional useful/critical Registry entries. Recommended.

    Changes made with StartUpCPL are less likely to cause problems, and are
    usually a matter of just re-enabling the particular program.

    Another program of this type that I can recommend is StartMan, free. You'll
    have to get it here: http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/utils/startman10396.exe,
    as the pcforest site is, sadly, no longer in business.

    Another such free program that I can highly recommend is StartupRun, here:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/strun.html, particularly if you suspect malware
    problems - it has a lot of useful info including file creation dates.

    And finally, StartupCop, here is excellent and allows you to set up multiple
    "startup profiles": http://www.pchelp911.com/files/startcop.zip.

    If you have problems with suspected hijackers, you can look up and
    investigate suspect programs in your StartUp lists here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm (Recommended)
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html (Recommended)
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm (Recommended)

    All work fine for controlling startups, however, I would recommend using
    both msconfig and one of the others; each has some advantages. For example,
    the XP msconfig also gives you some visibility/control over services, while
    Mike's applet offers much better startup control.

    Be very careful about doing any Registry modifications directly unless
    you're comfortable with this, and be sure that you BACKUP your Registry
    before making any changes, so that you can recover if something goes wrong.
    Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ I've set it up to take a
    scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
    Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt, and for some
    useful information about this subject. The following tutorials are useful:

    Installing & Using ERUNT
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

    To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

    Also, you should read and print out/save for future reference mskb article
    Q179365 here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q179365 which will
    tell you the order in which things get loaded.

    Two additional resources which have useful information relating to startup
    issues are:

    How to Delay Loading of Specific Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193888

    HOWTO: Control Device Driver Load Order
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q115/4/86.asp

    One last thing - if you want to use msconfig in order to help deal with
    "malware" issues, be aware that you can use it to do a "Clean Boot" from
    which to better run anti-spyware cleanup tools or to avoid possible
    interference with installs by programs such as Norton/Symantec's stuff:

    #########IMPORTANT#########
    Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
    or a "Clean Boot" when possible. Reboot and test if the malware is fixed
    after using each tool.

    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

    Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
    OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
    http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe ):

    1. StartRun enter msconfig.

    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
    System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
    boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
    then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
    True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
    (enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
    other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
    enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
    ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
    and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
    after cleaning your machine.

    4. Click OK and then reboot.

    For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
    click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
    267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
    192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95

    Perhaps this will help.

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here: