How to Remove Hard Drive from Really Old Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by computergal, Oct 29, 2009.

  1. computergal

    computergal Guest

    I have an very old AT&T Globalyst 375T PC from 1995. I held on to it over
    the years because I wanted to take the hard drive out as it contained
    confidential information. Well, today I finally decided to do it.

    Got the case off, disconnected the cable and the power cord from the hard
    drive and looked for the screws that connected the hard drive to the box
    containing it that was affixed to the case. And I looked and I looked.
    Although the hard drive had screws in it, they weren't the screws connecting
    the hard drive to the box. Although the drive and the box were firmly
    affixed to the frame, no screws were doing the job.

    Then I saw what looked like metal clips, more like wings that might be
    holding the box in place. So I tried to manipulate this clips/wings,
    pushing and pulling gently but it was firm. Then I though that the box
    containing the hard drive would slip out. No that didn't work.

    I never seen a hard drive affixed this way before. The computer does not
    have ethernet, usb capability or direct cable capability. The only way I am
    going to be able to get the info off the hard drive is to either burn some
    CD's or take another computer and hook its cables up to the old computer to
    read the hard drive. All a pain in the butt.

    So anybody remember anything about this kind of construction and tell me how
    to unfasten the hard drive. I thought there was a chance somebody would
    know..
    computergal, Oct 29, 2009

  2. "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > computergal wrote:
    >> I have an very old AT&T Globalyst 375T PC from 1995. I held on to it
    >> over the years because I wanted to take the hard drive out as it
    >> contained confidential information. Well, today I finally decided to do
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Got the case off, disconnected the cable and the power cord from the hard
    >> drive and looked for the screws that connected the hard drive to the box
    >> containing it that was affixed to the case. And I looked and I looked.
    >> Although the hard drive had screws in it, they weren't the screws
    >> connecting the hard drive to the box. Although the drive and the box
    >> were firmly affixed to the frame, no screws were doing the job.
    >>
    >> Then I saw what looked like metal clips, more like wings that might be
    >> holding the box in place. So I tried to manipulate this clips/wings,
    >> pushing and pulling gently but it was firm. Then I though that the box
    >> containing the hard drive would slip out. No that didn't work.
    >>
    >> I never seen a hard drive affixed this way before. The computer does not
    >> have ethernet, usb capability or direct cable capability. The only way I
    >> am going to be able to get the info off the hard drive is to either burn
    >> some CD's or take another computer and hook its cables up to the old
    >> computer to read the hard drive. All a pain in the butt.
    >>
    >> So anybody remember anything about this kind of construction and tell me
    >> how to unfasten the hard drive. I thought there was a chance somebody
    >> would know..

    > Can't figure out your hard drive installation problem, but to copy or move
    > that information from your hard drive, I can recommend a new toy I just
    > started playing with not that long ago - provided you have another
    > computer nearby.
    >
    > An IDE/SATA to USB adapter. You plug the IDE connector into your hard
    > drive, you plug the USB end into a working computer with USB, voila!
    > There's your other drive to do with as you please. You can move the info,
    > reformat the drive, and so on.
    >
    > You can get one on-line for about $25 or so.

    James, you have something horribly wrong with your settings.
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 29, 2009

  3. computergal

    Baron Guest

    computergal wrote:

    > I have an very old AT&T Globalyst 375T PC from 1995. I held on to it
    > over the years because I wanted to take the hard drive out as it
    > contained
    > confidential information. Well, today I finally decided to do it.
    >
    > Got the case off, disconnected the cable and the power cord from the
    > hard drive and looked for the screws that connected the hard drive to
    > the box
    > containing it that was affixed to the case. And I looked and I
    > looked. Although the hard drive had screws in it, they weren't the
    > screws connecting
    > the hard drive to the box. Although the drive and the box were
    > firmly affixed to the frame, no screws were doing the job.
    >
    > Then I saw what looked like metal clips, more like wings that might be
    > holding the box in place. So I tried to manipulate this clips/wings,
    > pushing and pulling gently but it was firm. Then I though that the
    > box
    > containing the hard drive would slip out. No that didn't work.
    >
    > I never seen a hard drive affixed this way before. The computer does
    > not
    > have ethernet, usb capability or direct cable capability. The only
    > way I am going to be able to get the info off the hard drive is to
    > either burn some CD's or take another computer and hook its cables up
    > to the old computer to
    > read the hard drive. All a pain in the butt.
    >
    > So anybody remember anything about this kind of construction and tell
    > me how
    > to unfasten the hard drive. I thought there was a chance somebody
    > would know..

    I would guess that the drive is supported by "slides" at each side. The
    spring clips probably have to be depressed before it will move. I have
    seen these, both plastic and metal, seize in place, requiring
    considerable effort to get them out.

    I suspect a machine of that age probably has an MFM drive ! In which
    case you wont be able to simply plug it into another machine and
    connect it up in order to get the data off it.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Oct 29, 2009
  4. computergal

    sandy58 Guest

    On Oct 29, 5:03 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >

    > > computergal wrote:
    > >> I have an very old AT&T Globalyst 375T PC from 1995.  I held on to it
    > >> over the years because I wanted to take the hard drive out as it
    > >> contained confidential information.  Well, today I finally decided to do
    > >> it.

    > >> Got the case off, disconnected the cable and the power cord from the hard
    > >> drive and looked for the screws that connected the hard drive to the box
    > >> containing it that was affixed to the case.  And I looked and I looked.
    > >> Although the hard drive had screws in it, they weren't the screws
    > >> connecting the hard drive to the box.   Although the drive and the box
    > >> were firmly affixed to the frame, no screws were doing the job.

    > >> Then I saw what looked like metal clips, more like wings that might be
    > >> holding the box in place.  So I tried to manipulate this clips/wings,
    > >> pushing and pulling gently but it was firm.  Then I though that the box
    > >> containing the hard drive would slip out.  No that didn't work.

    > >> I never seen a hard drive affixed this way before.  The computer does not
    > >> have ethernet, usb capability or direct cable capability.  The only way I
    > >> am going to be able to get the info off the hard drive is to either burn
    > >> some CD's or take another computer and hook its cables up to the old
    > >> computer to read the hard drive.  All a pain in the butt.

    > >> So anybody remember anything about this kind of construction and tell me
    > >> how to unfasten the hard drive.  I thought there was a chance somebody
    > >> would know..

    > > Can't figure out your hard drive installation problem, but to copy or move
    > > that information from your hard drive, I can recommend a new toy I just
    > > started playing with not that long ago - provided you have another
    > > computer nearby.

    > > An IDE/SATA to USB adapter.  You plug the IDE connector into your hard
    > > drive, you plug the USB end into a working computer with USB, voila!
    > > There's your other drive to do with as you please.  You can move the info,
    > > reformat the drive, and so on.

    > > You can get one on-line for about $25 or so.

    > James, you have something horribly wrong with your settings.

    The narrow sentences are his sig. :) He's not the only one around
    doing the same. :)
    sandy58, Oct 30, 2009
  5. "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 29, 5:03 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in
    > messagenews:...
    >

    > > computergal wrote:
    > >> I have an very old AT&T Globalyst 375T PC from 1995. I held on to it
    > >> over the years because I wanted to take the hard drive out as it
    > >> contained confidential information. Well, today I finally decided to do
    > >> it.

    > >> Got the case off, disconnected the cable and the power cord from the
    > >> hard
    > >> drive and looked for the screws that connected the hard drive to the
    > >> box
    > >> containing it that was affixed to the case. And I looked and I looked.
    > >> Although the hard drive had screws in it, they weren't the screws
    > >> connecting the hard drive to the box. Although the drive and the box
    > >> were firmly affixed to the frame, no screws were doing the job.

    > >> Then I saw what looked like metal clips, more like wings that might be
    > >> holding the box in place. So I tried to manipulate this clips/wings,
    > >> pushing and pulling gently but it was firm. Then I though that the box
    > >> containing the hard drive would slip out. No that didn't work.

    > >> I never seen a hard drive affixed this way before. The computer does
    > >> not
    > >> have ethernet, usb capability or direct cable capability. The only way
    > >> am going to be able to get the info off the hard drive is to either
    > >> burn
    > >> some CD's or take another computer and hook its cables up to the old
    > >> computer to read the hard drive. All a pain in the butt.

    > >> So anybody remember anything about this kind of construction and tell
    > >> me
    > >> how to unfasten the hard drive. I thought there was a chance somebody
    > >> would know..

    > > Can't figure out your hard drive installation problem, but to copy or
    > > move
    > > that information from your hard drive, I can recommend a new toy I just
    > > started playing with not that long ago - provided you have another
    > > computer nearby.

    > > An IDE/SATA to USB adapter. You plug the IDE connector into your hard
    > > drive, you plug the USB end into a working computer with USB, voila!
    > > There's your other drive to do with as you please. You can move the
    > > info,
    > > reformat the drive, and so on.

    > > You can get one on-line for about $25 or so.

    > James, you have something horribly wrong with your settings.

    The narrow sentences are his sig. :) He's not the only one around
    doing the same. :)

    <JS>
    That's the horrible setting, for sure.

    Now, if I could fix my settings so that I didn't have to mark my Reply to
    GoogleGroups postings with <JS> and </JS>, another horrible setting in the
    universe could be wiped out.

    </JS>
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 30, 2009