How to remove 1.5 and go back to 1.07?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by default, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. default

    default Guest

    I wasn't happy with the loss of extensions in the new version and
    could not get the nightly tester tools to load. Tried a clean install
    only to get the same problems so I thought I'd roll back to 1.07.

    Not happening. Worked but the same extensions were lost forever plus
    some of the ones that were working in 1.5. Worked up until I tried to
    up and I couldn't switch the themes back (can't even see the menus -
    screen white with some menu items in black low res lettering on the
    top)

    What do I need to completely and utterly wipe out all instances of FF
    so I can install 1.0.7 from scratch? Will the profiles saved in 1.5
    work in 1.0.7?

    Running windows ME and FF 1.5 is up and running minus the extensions
    I use.

    default, Dec 5, 2005

  2. default schreef:
    > I wasn't happy with the loss of extensions in the new version and
    > could not get the nightly tester tools to load. Tried a clean install
    > only to get the same problems so I thought I'd roll back to 1.07.
    >
    > Not happening. Worked but the same extensions were lost forever plus
    > some of the ones that were working in 1.5. Worked up until I tried to
    > up and I couldn't switch the themes back (can't even see the menus -
    > screen white with some menu items in black low res lettering on the
    > top)
    >
    > What do I need to completely and utterly wipe out all instances of FF
    > so I can install 1.0.7 from scratch? Will the profiles saved in 1.5
    > work in 1.0.7?
    >
    > Running windows ME and FF 1.5 is up and running minus the extensions
    > I use.

    I don´t know what went wrong with your installation, but I just
    installed 1.5 and 13 of my 16 extensions got updated and work as before.
    Among them Nightly Tester Tools! It helped by going to the
    extensions window and clicking Search for updates.

    H.
    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Dec 5, 2005

  3. default

    gwtc Guest

    default wrote:

    > I wasn't happy with the loss of extensions in the new version and
    > could not get the nightly tester tools to load. Tried a clean install
    > only to get the same problems so I thought I'd roll back to 1.07.
    >
    > Not happening. Worked but the same extensions were lost forever plus
    > some of the ones that were working in 1.5. Worked up until I tried to
    > up and I couldn't switch the themes back (can't even see the menus -
    > screen white with some menu items in black low res lettering on the
    > top)
    >
    > What do I need to completely and utterly wipe out all instances of FF
    > so I can install 1.0.7 from scratch? Will the profiles saved in 1.5
    > work in 1.0.7?
    >
    > Running windows ME and FF 1.5 is up and running minus the extensions
    > I use.

    When you updated to 1.5, did you use the same profile as 1.0.7? If
    so, then that is your problem. 1.5 is now in your 1.0.7 profile and
    when you reverted back to 1.0.7, all it saw was 1.5 stuff. That is
    what's causing the problems.

    I hope I made sense there.

    If you want to go back to 1.0.7, then you would have to create another
    profile JUST for 1.0.7.

    Click on Start, Run and enter exactly:

    firefox.exe -p

    This will bring up the profile manager, and you can start a new
    profile just for 1.0.7. Only one problem with this, you will have to
    reinstall all the extensions. Thats why I got into the habit of
    saving my extensions to my hard-drive, just for problems like this.

    gwtc, Dec 5, 2005
  4. default

    default Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:27:01 -0800, gwtc
    <> wrote:

    >When you updated to 1.5, did you use the same profile as 1.0.7? If
    >so, then that is your problem. 1.5 is now in your 1.0.7 profile and
    >when you reverted back to 1.0.7, all it saw was 1.5 stuff. That is
    >what's causing the problems.
    >
    >I hope I made sense there.
    >
    >If you want to go back to 1.0.7, then you would have to create another
    >profile JUST for 1.0.7.

    Well that's something to try. I can delete the profiles and try a
    reload. Wasn't my first choice at damage control . . .

    Problem seems to be with the 1.5 profile in place, reverting back to
    1.0.7 and it doesn't know how to assimilate the old profile and hangs.

    Seems to be the programmers assumed that no one would want to switch
    back. 1.5 is not ready for release in my opinion. Takes forever to
    load too.

    I understand the programmers work for the satisfaction of it and I am
    grateful to have a better browser than (way better) IE or Opera. But
    it would be nice if they covered all the bases before a new release.
    Along those lines I see no improvement in 1.5 versus 1.0.7 - takes
    longer to load, two extensions I rely on don't work.

    Sounds like city hall's definition of "progress."

    default, Dec 5, 2005
  5. default

    <> wrote:

    >This will bring up the profile manager, and you can start a new
    >profile just for 1.0.7. Only one problem with this, you will have to
    >reinstall all the extensions. Thats why I got into the habit of
    >saving my extensions to my hard-drive, just for problems like this.

    The extensions don't bother me, I usually download and save versus
    just let it update. Password folder does bother me. Bookmarks are an
    annoyance if they are gone.

    One other thing the uninstall for FF 1.5 won't work now (from the
    folder) It hangs and has to be offed with C/A/D and there is no
    Mozilla FF in the Windows install/uninstall control panel.

    default, Dec 5, 2005
  6. default

    default Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:04:46 +0100, Hendrik Maryns
    <> wrote:

    >I don´t know what went wrong with your installation, but I just
    >installed 1.5 and 13 of my 16 extensions got updated and work as before.
    > Among them Nightly Tester Tools! It helped by going to the
    >extensions window and clicking Search for updates.
    >
    >H.

    I didn't have Nightly Tester Tools installed when I up(down) graded.
    It just won't install NTT after 1.5. Without the extensions - FF is
    almost useless to me so I really would like to get back to the earlier
    version.

    Three of my extensions didn't update. They said they were updated,
    and would start when I restarted the browser - but they said that
    AFTER I restarted the browser. They did update - when I told them to
    uninstall those extensions . . . And every thing turned to feces when
    I tried to use the updated microFF theme.

    I've been using Mozilla for years with no problems. I like MOZ.

    Using Opera and Netscape 4.7 now.

    default, Dec 5, 2005
  7. default

    Hawkeye Guest

    > Bookmarks are an annoyance if they are gone.

    No need to lose your bookmarks, just keep a copy of your bookmark.html
    somewhere other than your profile directory. Copy it into new
    profiles as you create them, making sure you copy when FF is NOT
    running as it will copy over the bookmark file when you close if it is
    running.

    You might try the Mr. Tech's Local Install extension. Among a myriad
    of other things, this extension will allow you to force FF to ignore
    the maxversion flag when installing an extension, permitting 1.0.x
    extensions to load into 1.5.
    http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/

    Sorry your experience with 1.5 was disappointing. I find that it does
    load much faster than 1.0, renders pages faster, and has numerous
    interesting features. Certainly a major improvement over 1.0.

    Hawkeye, Dec 5, 2005
  8. default

    default Guest

    On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 17:12:27 -0500, Hawkeye <aaa1339atyahoodotcom>
    wrote:

    >Sorry your experience with 1.5 was disappointing. I find that it does
    >load much faster than 1.0, renders pages faster, and has numerous
    >interesting features. Certainly a major improvement over 1.0.

    I'll try Mr. Tech's Local Install extension. that was sort of what I
    was after with Nightly Tester Tools . . .

    Seems there's a file in the individual extensions that tell them which
    versions they are compatible with it is called "install.rdf" I can
    "tweak" the version number but that doesn't fix anything.

    I'm no programmer - good early BASIC and some PASCAL, but it isn't my
    first love; just something that I had to do to achieve other (work
    related) goals.

    default, Dec 5, 2005
  9. default wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:04:46 +0100, Hendrik Maryns
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I don´t know what went wrong with your installation, but I just
    >>installed 1.5 and 13 of my 16 extensions got updated and work as before.
    >> Among them Nightly Tester Tools! It helped by going to the
    >>extensions window and clicking Search for updates.
    >>
    >>H.

    > I didn't have Nightly Tester Tools installed when I up(down) graded.
    > It just won't install NTT after 1.5. Without the extensions - FF is
    > almost useless to me so I really would like to get back to the earlier
    > version.
    >
    > Three of my extensions didn't update. They said they were updated,
    > and would start when I restarted the browser - but they said that
    > AFTER I restarted the browser. They did update - when I told them to
    > uninstall those extensions . . . And every thing turned to feces when
    > I tried to use the updated microFF theme.
    >
    > I've been using Mozilla for years with no problems. I like MOZ.
    >
    > Using Opera and Netscape 4.7 now.

    You are almost certainly trying to install an outdated version of NTT,
    which, regrettably, is what is available at the addons site. Try
    getting the newest version from the author's site:

    http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html

    If this version does not install for you, something is wrong with your
    setup.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 6, 2005
  10. default

    Hawkeye Guest

    >Seems there's a file in the individual extensions that tell them which
    >versions they are compatible with it is called "install.rdf"

    Right, that's where the maxversion flag is. Open the XPI file with
    WinZip or similar and edit install.rdf. Maybe 3 or 4 of the
    extensions I use were "pushed" from 1.0 to 1.5 in such a fashion and
    functioned without a problem. The Local Install extension probably
    tells the extension installer to ignore this flag.

    Hawkeye, Dec 6, 2005
  11. default

    default Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:55:14 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >You are almost certainly trying to install an outdated version of NTT,
    >which, regrettably, is what is available at the addons site. Try
    >getting the newest version from the author's site:
    >
    >http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
    >
    >If this version does not install for you, something is wrong with your
    >setup.
    >
    >Lee

    Hi Lee

    Yeah, my guess is something in the botched original load of
    extensions/themes changed a registry setting or install.dat file
    somewhere causing the hassle. I may try ditching a working extension
    and reloading it to see what happens.

    I AM getting the extension from the author's site, and the install.rdf
    data says it is for 1.0 to 1.6a Min/Max versions.

    I also changed the min/max settings in install.rdf from the Moz site
    to no avail.

    My hypothesis is that no extension will load now even one that is
    loaded and working won't reload - that's today's project. Remember
    the java script errors? I get the same four errors when I clear them
    restart windows and try to load an extension.

    Plan B is to just go in and manually remove every vestige of MOZ I can
    find in the registry, program files, windows dat files, etc. Then
    reloading 1.0.7 or 1.5 from scratch. That should keep me busy for an
    hour or two - but beats trying to decipher the java scripting errors .
    .. . No doubt all those error messages point to the problem - but I
    have no way of pulling the corrupted file(s) from the installation
    exe.

    MOZ uninstall hangs and has to be stopped with C/A/D now, and there is
    no uninstall in windows control panel for it. My efforts to fix it
    seem to be making it worse . . . Yet MOZ is still in the programs
    file and still works.

    bob

    default, Dec 6, 2005
  12. default wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:55:14 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You are almost certainly trying to install an outdated version of NTT,
    >> which, regrettably, is what is available at the addons site. Try
    >> getting the newest version from the author's site:
    >>
    >> http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html
    >>
    >> If this version does not install for you, something is wrong with your
    >> setup.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Hi Lee
    >
    > Yeah, my guess is something in the botched original load of
    > extensions/themes changed a registry setting or install.dat file
    > somewhere causing the hassle. I may try ditching a working extension
    > and reloading it to see what happens.
    >
    > I AM getting the extension from the author's site, and the install.rdf
    > data says it is for 1.0 to 1.6a Min/Max versions.
    >
    > I also changed the min/max settings in install.rdf from the Moz site
    > to no avail.
    >
    > My hypothesis is that no extension will load now even one that is
    > loaded and working won't reload - that's today's project. Remember
    > the java script errors? I get the same four errors when I clear them
    > restart windows and try to load an extension.
    >
    > Plan B is to just go in and manually remove every vestige of MOZ I can
    > find in the registry, program files, windows dat files, etc. Then
    > reloading 1.0.7 or 1.5 from scratch. That should keep me busy for an
    > hour or two - but beats trying to decipher the java scripting errors .
    > . . No doubt all those error messages point to the problem - but I
    > have no way of pulling the corrupted file(s) from the installation
    > exe.
    >
    > MOZ uninstall hangs and has to be stopped with C/A/D now, and there is
    > no uninstall in windows control panel for it. My efforts to fix it
    > seem to be making it worse . . . Yet MOZ is still in the programs
    > file and still works.
    >
    > bob

    I came in late on this, is it that you cannot install any extension?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 6, 2005
  13. default

    default Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:40:33 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >I came in late on this, is it that you cannot install any extension?
    >
    >Lee

    That seems to be where I left that at . . .

    Anyhow the problem is more of less solved. I deleted firefox in
    windows explorer, checked the registry and didn't see any entries for
    it, deleted the windows applications dat folder for MOZ FF.

    That got me to square one. I reloaded FF from my downloads folder and
    loaded version 1.0.7 (not willing to fight extensions in version 1.5 -
    I'll just wait until the extensions I use are brought up to version).

    I was able to import my bookmarks from the backup of my profile.
    Passwords are another matter. I made a paper copy of all the
    passwords before losing my profile.

    From what I understand, my password text file and decryption key is
    still intact but can't be read with the current decryption key. Right
    now I've been messing with it for about four hours and want to get
    outside and do something more physical.

    I didn't want to reinstall the whole profile folder - because the
    problem I was having with extensions could be in there somewhere.

    bob

    default, Dec 6, 2005