    Beowulf

    --
    "It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."
    Beowulf, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Beowulf

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:03:23 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Beowulf
    <> wrote:

    >How can I reduce noise from a digital photo, such as when it is
    >underexposed, etc.?

    Net Image, Noise Nija, etc. I personally have been happy using Neat
    Image processing images from my Nikon 990 and 5700.
    http://www.neatimage.com
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Beowulf

    mark_digital Guest

    "Beowulf" <> wrote in message news:p...
    How can I reduce noise from a digital photo, such as when it is
    underexposed, etc.?
    Beowulf

    -------------------------------------
    ========================
    -------------------------------------

    One obvious way is to not enlarge it too much. Other than that
    you could use a high end program and painstakingly treat each
    portion if you also were good at airbrushing.
    Quick fixes most of the time aren't good at all to better than average
    vision persons. Automatic red-eye correction is a good example.
    Although this is a lousy example, Clark Labs, at least the one a
    friend of mine sends his film to for prints, returns some of the worst
    noise ridden digitally printed pics I've seen yet he keeps sending
    more film to them. But as long as he's happy who cares what I think.
    mark_
    mark_digital, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Beowulf

    Matthias Guest

    Beowulf <> writes:

    > How can I reduce noise from a digital photo, such as when it is
    > underexposed, etc.?
    > Beowulf

    You will get much more useful answers if you give us a hint what you
    already tried and which results you got.

    The simplest way to deal with the color noise in digital cameras is to
    apply a slight (sigma \approx 1-2 pixel) Gaussian filter on the image.
    But you probably already tried that?
    Matthias, Aug 13, 2004
  5. Beowulf

    Ed E. Guest

    > Net Image, Noise Nija, etc. I personally have been happy using Neat
    > Image processing images from my Nikon 990 and 5700.
    > http://www.neatimage.com

    Amen to that. Shot some drag racing the other night at dark with only a few
    track lights on. Had to underexpose the scene to get the car frozen enough,
    but then the noise was high. NeatImage did an incredible job. The latest
    version is light-years ahead of the 3.x versions.
    Ed E., Aug 13, 2004