How to recover a Windows XP system that does not start because of corruption in the registry

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by gilgil, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. gilgil

    gilgil Guest

    IBM ThinkPad R40e
    Windows XP Professional

    When I try to start or restart My Windows XP-based computer, I receive the
    following error messages:
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    I found the article 307545
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    My problem is the following warning at the beginning of this article:

    "Warning: Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your
    computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM
    installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist
    previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you
    may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the
    original registry hives."

    My notebook has an OEM-installed operating system!

    What can I do?
    --
    gilgil259

    Antispam: replace 259 with 159

    gilgil, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Hi,

    Maybe you can use the ibm rescue and recovery software.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4YLR6R#restore

    Ken
    -------------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Dec 3, 2005

  3. gilgil

    gilgil Guest

    Thanks Ken,
    I've been through all kinds of misfortune.
    I receive the following error messages:

    IBM Rapid Restore PC is not installed. Press Enter to reboot to Windows and
    install IBM Rapid Restore PC

    What can I do?

    gilgil, Dec 3, 2005
  4. Hi,

    Maybe this will help

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306038

    Ken
    ---------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Dec 3, 2005
  5. gilgil

    gilgil Guest

    gilgil, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Hi,

    The registry is stored in several files. The xp registry
    recovery article has you replacing all the registry files with there
    backups. The error you are getting is about the system file. All I am
    suggesting to do is replace the system file only. Passwords are stored in
    the sam file and replacing that file could cause problems in an oem computer
    like yours.

    Ken
    ---------------------

    Ken Tucker [MVP], Dec 4, 2005
  7. gilgil

    John Barnes Guest

    You are in the wrong group. For WindowsXP you should go to

    Microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    you should find a larger audience there since this product doesn't run on a
    tablet

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005
  8. gilgil

    Rick Guest

    Re: How to recover a Windows XP system that does not start becauseof corruption in the registry

    The go to the appropriate News Group, one for Windows XP 32-bit, and ask
    your questions there.

    This is a Windows XP & Server 2003 x64 News Group, one for 64-bit Windows.

    Rick, Dec 4, 2005