How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Silent Knight, Jun 5, 2014.

  1. Silent Knight

    The Real Bev Guest

    On 06/16/2014 06:08 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

    > In article <lnngbu$hgj$>, says...
    >> On 06/15/2014 05:53 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
    >> > In article <lnjapq$vm4$>, says...

    >> > Did you have an instructor with you who knew what he was doing? One
    >> > problem with marksmanship instruction is getting people who think
    >> > they're great shots to unlearn all the bad habits they've developed in
    >> > many years of hitting a tin can 20 feet away with 3 shots out of 5.
    >> > Without a competent coach you won't even be aware of what you're doing
    >> > wrong.

    >> I have really poor small-muscle control (large-muscle too, when I'm
    >> tired) and I'm simply unable to remain still. I doubt if an instructor
    >> could fix that.

    > You don't "remain still". You apply pressure as you're moving toward
    > the target and stop applying as you move away and suddenly "BANG"
    > happens and surprises you.

    I have no idea what you're talking about.

    I don't have a hand tremor, just an inability to hold a gun on the
    target. Scope was no help.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    "I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people

    The Real Bev, Jun 17, 2014
    1. Advertising

  2. Silent Knight

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 23:11:29 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2014-06-17 05:44:39 +0000, The Real Bev <> said:
    >
    >> On 06/16/2014 06:08 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <lnngbu$hgj$>, says...

    >>> You don't "remain still". You apply pressure as you're moving toward
    >>> the target and stop applying as you move away and suddenly "BANG"
    >>> happens and surprises you.

    >> I have no idea what you're talking about.
    >>
    >> I don't have a hand tremor, just an inability to hold a gun on the
    >> target. Scope was no help.

    >Hold your strong hand out at arms length. Make the kiddies gun gesture,
    >pointing with your index finger, your other three fingers clenched, and
    >you thumb up and out of the way.
    >Aim down your index finger at a spot on the wall, or something which
    >will make a good aim point.
    >You might or might not be able to hold your finger tip steady on the
    >aim point, but you will find there is a consistent movement, usually a
    >slight left to right oscillating movement through an arc. This movement
    >is quite predictable, and ultimately controllable.
    >Now focus on your finger tip, this will represent the front sight of a
    >pistol. The aim point on the wall should be out of focus and blurry.
    >The clearly focused finger tip should be moving in a smaller arc and
    >the blurred aim point will seem to envelope the finger tip. Now if you
    >replaced the simulated pistol with a real one, that would be the front
    >sight in clear focus. If it is your intent to shoot at and hit that
    >blurry aim point slowly apply pressure to the trigger and when the gun
    >fires it should surprise you.
    >Don't anticipate the gun firing, or try to precipitate the shot when
    >you think every thing is aligned by snatching at the trigger. If you do
    >that you will typically pull the shot to one side or the other.
    >
    >If you follow the guidelines of maintaining a good clear sight picture
    >of the front sight, concetrate on aiming in the general direction of
    >your aim point, and maintain a steady pressure on the trigger without
    >anticipating the shot. The fired shot will usually end up very close to
    >your intended aim point.

    Damn, Duck. If she'd do that in public in Florida she'd be riddled
    like Bonnie Parker.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL

    Tony Cooper, Jun 17, 2014
    1. Advertising

  3. Silent Knight

    The Real Bev Guest

    On 06/16/2014 11:11 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2014-06-17 05:44:39 +0000, The Real Bev <> said:
    >
    >> On 06/16/2014 06:08 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <lnngbu$hgj$>, says...

    >>> You don't "remain still". You apply pressure as you're moving toward
    >>> the target and stop applying as you move away and suddenly "BANG"
    >>> happens and surprises you.

    >> I have no idea what you're talking about.
    >>
    >> I don't have a hand tremor, just an inability to hold a gun on the
    >> target. Scope was no help.

    > Hold your strong hand out at arms length. Make the kiddies gun gesture,
    > pointing with your index finger, your other three fingers clenched, and
    > you thumb up and out of the way.
    > Aim down your index finger at a spot on the wall, or something which
    > will make a good aim point.
    > You might or might not be able to hold your finger tip steady on the
    > aim point, but you will find there is a consistent movement, usually a
    > slight left to right oscillating movement through an arc. This movement
    > is quite predictable, and ultimately controllable.

    Random directions. 3" circle at 15 feet. No difference between right
    and left hand. Smaller circle if I jam my hand right up against my
    face. Some people are not destined to be markspersons :-(

    > Now focus on your finger tip, this will represent the front sight of a
    > pistol. The aim point on the wall should be out of focus and blurry.
    > The clearly focused finger tip should be moving in a smaller arc and
    > the blurred aim point will seem to envelope the finger tip. Now if you
    > replaced the simulated pistol with a real one, that would be the front
    > sight in clear focus. If it is your intent to shoot at and hit that
    > blurry aim point slowly apply pressure to the trigger and when the gun
    > fires it should surprise you.

    I was careful to squeeze, not jerk. Honest. Is this a sort of
    left-brain-right-brain thing? "Inner Tennis"? That seems to work for
    tennis and skiing, but I never played golf. If you didn't read the
    book(s) the idea is that after a while your body knows what it needs to
    do and brain-thinking just disrupts the process. Reciting poetry,
    counting backwards, or whatever else keeps your mind from attempting to
    screw with your body is a good thing.

    > Don't anticipate the gun firing, or try to precipitate the shot when
    > you think every thing is aligned by snatching at the trigger. If you do
    > that you will typically pull the shot to one side or the other.
    >
    > If you follow the guidelines of maintaining a good clear sight picture
    > of the front sight, concetrate on aiming in the general direction of
    > your aim point, and maintain a steady pressure on the trigger without
    > anticipating the shot. The fired shot will usually end up very close to
    > your intended aim point.

    OK, I'll settle for "very close". Or get a shotgun :-(

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    Guns kill people like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.

    The Real Bev, Jun 17, 2014
  4. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> Computer formatting will not create the essential DCIM

    > >trivial to do and some cameras might create that folder if it's not
    > >there since formatting in a computer is something users might do and
    > >handling that situation is easy and makes for a happier customer.
    > >
    > >writing a script to automatically create the folder is also possible.

    > I wondered how you would handle this.
    >
    > You are flat out wrong, you have deleted the reason why, and now you
    > are fudging and flanneling to beat all.

    i'm not wrong, what i snipped was superfluous and i'm not fudging
    anything at all.

    > Here is what you deleted (I have updated the quote levels):

    snipped, while retaining the key part:
    > >Computer formatting will not create the essential DCIM

    it doesn't need to because the camera will do that automatically.

    > You are saying that *some* cameras *might* detect the improperly
    > formatted card and without asking or telling the user they will go
    > ahead and reformat the card correctly. Please tell me which cameras do
    > this. Other people are anxiously waiting for this vital information.

    why not try it yourself?

    the dcim folder gets created automatically if it's not there. i've yet
    to use a camera that doesn't do that, including nikon, which i just
    tested just to be sure (and found out my card reader is a bit flaky).

    there could be a camera that doesn't, but i'm not going to test all of
    the cameras in the world to find out which ones. you can do that if you
    want.

    real world software handles what users actually do, rather than force
    them into some specific procedure that they will invariably fail to do
    at some point or another.

    <http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/30941/what-is-the-right-way-to-
    format-a-sd-card-for-use-in-camera>
    As answers to that question note, camera makers usually recommend
    formatting in-camera rather than with a computer. There are several
    reasons for this:

    1. A user could format the card with an incompatible filesystem,
    like NTFS or HFS. This would cause confused users and expensive
    tech-support calls. Better to just say "do it in the camera".

    2. Very unlikely, but a bug in some OS's FAT implementation or in
    the camera's own firmware could conflict. Keeping it all in-camera
    is safer here (but I've never heard of this really happening ‹ the
    filesystem format is simple and well understood).

    3. Formatting in-camera causes the DCIM folder structure to be
    created ‹ but as this happens when you write a photo if it's not
    there already, this is unimportant.

    If you understand all this, there's absolutely no harm in formatting
    the card on your computer, with the special SD Card Association
    firmware or with the OS's own tools. If you don't, use the camera's
    own formatting to be safe.

    <https://forums.adobe.com/message/4913641>
    "DCIM" is the name of the folder your camera automatically creates on
    your card. If you were to delete the folder, your camera will just
    create a new folder on the card with the same name.
    As Keith_Reeder has explained, "DCIM" is the name of the folder your
    camera automatically creates on your card.

    <http://www.4cornerit.com/tech/what-is-this-dcim-folder-on-my-digital-ca
    mera/>
    Conveniently, your digital camera will look for a DCIM folder when
    you insert a memory card and if it doesn¹t see one, it will create a
    shiny new one automatically ­ no muss, no fuss.

    <http://www.techhive.com/article/217111/dcim_folder.html>
    When you put a memory card into a camera, the camera immediately
    looks for a ŒDCIM' folder. If it doesn't find such a folder, it
    creates one.

    > Alternatively are you really suggesting that people will find it
    > easier to write a script to correct an incorrectly formatted card than
    > to format it correctly in the first place?

    they could if the camera doesn't do it, but it most likely will.

    nospam, Jun 17, 2014