How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Silent Knight, Jun 5, 2014.

  1. Silent Knight

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:51:56 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <lnmqcu$46i$>, PAS <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> > If a phone is lost - left somewhere and picked up by someone else -
    >> > the possibility of that person viewing photographs and data has been
    >> > mentioned. My question is why all the fuss about this. I'd regret
    >> > losing the phone, but there's nothing accessible with my phone that
    >> > would cause me any grief.
    >> >
    >> > There are no photographs on my phone that would embarrass me. I don't
    >> > care if you know who my contacts are. I have nothing stored in any
    >> > remote site that I would be distressed if someone accessed.

    >> I'm pretty much in the same boat as you on this. I have nothing in my phone
    >> that would embarrass me, or anything anywhere else. I would be upset if I
    >> lost my phone simply because I really like the one I have (LG Optimus G Pro)
    >> and don't want to pay for another one.

    >do you not use it for anything?
    >
    >browser history, email, calendar and various other apps will have all
    >sorts of information you might not want leaking out.

    There are those of us - and this may not include you - who do not use
    our browser to go to porn sites. There are those of us - and this may
    not include you - who do not send or receive email that would
    embarrass us or reveal details about us that could be damaging. There
    are those of us - and this may not include you - who don't enter
    events on our calendar that we wouldn't want others to see.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 16, 2014
    1. Advertising

  2. Silent Knight

    The Real Bev Guest

    On 06/14/2014 11:40 PM, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2014-06-15 05:26:17 +0000, The Real Bev <> said:

    >>> During my time in the military, I came to the conclusion that assuming
    >>> the Soviet Union's troops were as good at marksmanship as ours, in case
    >>> of war the best place to be was on the front lines.

    >> Long ago we bought some 22 rifles and a 22 revolver and went up into
    >> the mountains to learn to shoot. I'm incredibly bad, possibly for the
    >> same reason my handwriting sucks and I can't play the violin.

    > I started shooting under the guidance of my father as an 8 year old
    > using an air rifle. By 11 I was getting into serious target shooting
    > with my father shooting .22 rifle and .22 & .38 Special pistol. Then I
    > transitioned to military and combat/defense weapons. Now at 65, I can
    > say shooting and marksmanship for me has been like riding a bicycle,
    > and very easy.
    > < https://db.tt/FszZBooz >

    Nice. I would probably be able to hit the paper with 100% accuracy at
    50 feet. I'm serious.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    "You won't like me when I'm angry because I always back up my rage
    The Real Bev, Jun 16, 2014
    1. Advertising

  3. Silent Knight

    The Real Bev Guest

    On 06/15/2014 05:53 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

    > In article <lnjapq$vm4$>, says...

    >> > During my time in the military, I came to the conclusion that assuming
    >> > the Soviet Union's troops were as good at marksmanship as ours, in case
    >> > of war the best place to be was on the front lines.

    >> Long ago we bought some 22 rifles and a 22 revolver and went up into the
    >> mountains to learn to shoot. I'm incredibly bad, possibly for the same
    >> reason my handwriting sucks and I can't play the violin.

    > Did you have an instructor with you who knew what he was doing? One
    > problem with marksmanship instruction is getting people who think
    > they're great shots to unlearn all the bad habits they've developed in
    > many years of hitting a tin can 20 feet away with 3 shots out of 5.
    > Without a competent coach you won't even be aware of what you're doing
    > wrong.

    I have really poor small-muscle control (large-muscle too, when I'm
    tired) and I'm simply unable to remain still. I doubt if an instructor
    could fix that.

    The Real Bev, Jun 16, 2014
  4. Silent Knight

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/16/2014 2:09 AM, nospam wrote:

    >>> i understand it far more than you ever will.

    >> You keep saying things like that, and then once again go off
    >> the deep end with non-sequiturs...

    > it's true.

    >>> nobody said it did, straw man.

    >> Oh, it's a straw man alright! Glad you acknowledged exactly
    >> what you are doing. *You* are the one who claimed all of that
    >> was needed. I just put a simple descriptive "title" on *your*
    >> straw man argument.

    > you are the one with the strawman. don't twist what i say.
    >
    >> Once again, the point was demonstrated very effectively that only
    >> 65 lines of C code is enough to recover my *image* files from a
    >> CF card. Nothing more is actually necessary, nor is all this
    >> crap you put out in your straw man argument to divert from useful
    >> discussion of the question at hand.

    > nothing more is needed assuming everything fits into your incredibly
    > narrow parameters.
    >
    > if you get a different camera or want to help someone else with a
    > different camera or if you have a fragmented card, then you're screwed.
    >
    > the fact that you pretend otherwise shows us how much in denial you are.

    If you really look at his code you will see that you can substitute any
    format for "NEF" unless your computer won't type caps.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 16, 2014
  5. Silent Knight

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/16/2014 10:48 AM, nospam wrote:

> [...]

    >> Having a recovery program that understands the internals
    >> of the filesystem is "wonderful", but it can result in a
    >> situation where the image data becomes unrecoverable.

    > complete nonsense.
    >
    > having a recovery program that understands the file system and deals
    > with fragmentation drastically *improves* the chances of recovery.
    >
    > under no circumstances can it result in a situation where it would be
    > unrecoverable.

    >>> nonsense. there is no reason to format the card each time and that
    >>> won't prevent fragmentation anyway. the user can still delete one or
    >>> more photos during a session.
    >>>
    >>> you're just too lazy to do a good job in writing a recovery tool. it's
    >>> a half-assed job.
    >>>
    >>> if you want to live within its limitations that's your doing, but to
    >>> claim that recovery apps need nothing more than 65 lines of c is
    >>> utterly ludicrous.

    >> Your willingness to rely on unnecessary complexity is
    >> inherently unreliable. I chose the safest route.

    > complete nonsense. it's not unnecessary and not inherently unreliable.
    > you have no idea what you're talking about.
    >
    > the safest and most reliable route for image recovery (or any recovery
    > actually) to use a commercial recovery tool that has been designed to
    > recover all types of files, fragmented or not, and which uses multiple
    > algorithms so that it almost always succeeds and is also well tested by
    > millions of users.
    >
    > not the case for your hack, which is inherently unreliable because it
    > only works in a very narrow set of conditions.

    >>> it does if it wants to be reusable, extensible and handle all possible
    >>> inputs, which it fails on all three counts.

    >> But that is unnecessary complexity that serves no
    >> purpose other than providing multiple failure routes by
    >> which images can be *permantently* lost.

    > nonsense. where do you come up with such crap?
    >
    > handling all possible inputs *avoids* multiple failure routes and there
    > is *no* possible way anything can be lost because at no point is
    > anything written to the file system.
    >
    > in the unlikely event it fails to find anything, nothing is lost or
    > altered on the card. simply use another recovery app or send it off to
    > a professional recovery service.
    >
    > you haven't any clue about this stuff, do you?
    >
    >> As noted, proper card management will totally avoid that
    >> circumstance.

    > nonsense. using a proper card recovery utility that handles any
    > situation thrown at it will avoid that circumstance, without forcing
    > the user to format every single time, which users do not normally do.
    > in other words, real world scenarios.

    >>> yet another ad hominem.

    >> It's not Ad Hominem, it's very valid commentary on what
    >> you write here in this newsgroup, in this thread.

    > not at all. you can't admit that your hack is inferior to commercial
    > offerings,
    >
    > whether you're satisfied with it is up to you, but to claim that it's

    Every photographer I know formats the card, every time images are copied
    to a more permanent storage location. I guess if you shot even 100
    images, you would delete them one by one. Either that, or you don''t
    really do any photography.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 16, 2014
  6. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > If you really look at his code you will see that you can substitute any
    > format for "NEF" unless your computer won't type caps.

    if you understood anything, you'd see that there's more to it than that.
    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  7. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > Every photographer I know formats the card, every time images are copied
    > to a more permanent storage location. I guess if you shot even 100
    > images, you would delete them one by one. Either that, or you don''t
    > really do any photography.

    who said anything about deleting them one by one?
    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  8. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > >> I'm pretty much in the same boat as you on this. I have nothing in my phone
    > >> that would embarrass me, or anything anywhere else. I would be upset if I
    > >> lost my phone simply because I really like the one I have (LG Optimus G
    > >> Pro)
    > >> and don't want to pay for another one.

    > >do you not use it for anything?
    > >
    > >browser history, email, calendar and various other apps will have all
    > >sorts of information you might not want leaking out.

    > There are those of us - and this may not include you - who do not use
    > our browser to go to porn sites. There are those of us - and this may
    > not include you - who do not send or receive email that would
    > embarrass us or reveal details about us that could be damaging. There
    > are those of us - and this may not include you - who don't enter
    > events on our calendar that we wouldn't want others to see.

    not many, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with porn sites. that's
    just more of your idiotic insults.

    like i said, you don't use it for much, which we know to be true since
    you refused to even consider downloading any apps when you got your
    ipad. is that still true??

    but since you have nothing to hide, post your address book, text
    message history, call history, browser bookmarks and history,
    reminders, calendar, notes and emails, including full names, street
    addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. let's see what you have
    on it.

    you say there's nothing embarrassing on it so you won't have a problem
    doing that. if you do not do that then you have proven yourself to be a
    liar (again).

    what you fail to understand is that unlike you, people use their mobile
    devices for actual work, which can include all sorts of proprietary and
    personal information that they don't want others to know or are legally
    obligated to keep it private.

    you also fail to understand that access to the device means someone
    could wreck havoc on your life depending on what apps are on it,
    including passwords to other systems, what's in your stock portfolio,
    making purchases under your name, modifying or erasing content in cloud
    storage which will ultimately affect your computer at home or work and
    possibly other coworkers, seeing your medical history and possibly
    obtaining medications in your name, unlock doors (and they know when
    you aren't at home), unlock and/or start vehicles and much more.

    it has nothing whatsoever to do with being embarrassed.

    losing a laptop is similar. there's all sorts of information on those
    too.
    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  9. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >Every photographer I know formats the card, every time images are copied
    > >to a more permanent storage location. I guess if you shot even 100
    > >images, you would delete them one by one. Either that, or you don''t
    > >really do any photography.

    > What a lot of people do is reformat the car while it is still in the
    > card reader and connected to the computer. The few Nikon manuals I
    > have read give a warning of some kind against the practice. The D300
    > manual says:
    >
    > "Memory cards that have been formatted in a computer or other device
    > must be reformatted in the camera before they can be used for
    > recording or playback."
    >
    > I understand that formatting out of the camera can be a source of
    > trouble. I always format in the camera.

    it doesn't make a difference.

    they say that because they have only tested formatting in their camera,
    not in every computer out there. although formatting elsewhere will
    work, they can't guarantee it because they haven't tested it.

    they also don't recommend using unapproved memory cards, third party
    batteries, third party flashes and third party lenses, however, with
    rare exception, they too will work.

    however, with batteries it's important to avoid offbrand batteries
    because of the risk of low quality batteries leaking, swelling and
    possibly exploding. a name brand third party battery is not a problem
    and could even be the same battery as nikon's own, but with a different
    label.

    for flashes you only need to make sure the trigger voltage is not
    unusually high, which isn't an issue unless you use really old flashes
    (and there are adapters to avoid this issue entirely anyway).

    but nikon won't tell you that.
    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  10. Silent Knight

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/16/2014 8:09 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you really look at his code you will see that you can substitute any
    >> format for "NEF" unless your computer won't type caps.

    > if you understood anything, you'd see that there's more to it than that.

    I take your literal word for that.

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 17, 2014
  11. Silent Knight

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/16/2014 8:09 PM, nospam wrote:
    > In article <>, Eric Stevens
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Every photographer I know formats the card, every time images are copied
    >>> to a more permanent storage location. I guess if you shot even 100
    >>> images, you would delete them one by one. Either that, or you don''t
    >>> really do any photography.

    >> What a lot of people do is reformat the car while it is still in the
    >> card reader and connected to the computer. The few Nikon manuals I
    >> have read give a warning of some kind against the practice. The D300
    >> manual says:
    >>
    >> "Memory cards that have been formatted in a computer or other device
    >> must be reformatted in the camera before they can be used for
    >> recording or playback."
    >>
    >> I understand that formatting out of the camera can be a source of
    >> trouble. I always format in the camera.

    > it doesn't make a difference.

    I'm sure Nikon and Canon would be interested in that. They might even
    revise their instructions. Next time I meet my friend from Canon, who
    happens to be a senior VP in their camera division, I'll give him your
    contact information. Tiger would be very interested. Oops! I forgot, he
    recently was transferred to London. Well, His successor may go the same
    place I do, too.

    > they say that because they have only tested formatting in their camera,
    > not in every computer out there. although formatting elsewhere will
    > work, they can't guarantee it because they haven't tested it.

    Another airplane survey.

    > they also don't recommend using unapproved memory cards, third party
    > batteries, third party flashes and third party lenses, however, with
    > rare exception, they too will work.

    Who said anything about flashes or batteries.

    > however, with batteries it's important to avoid offbrand batteries
    > because of the risk of low quality batteries leaking, swelling and
    > possibly exploding. a name brand third party battery is not a problem
    > and could even be the same battery as nikon's own, but with a different
    > label.

    Who said anything about batteries

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 17, 2014
  12. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    > >> I understand that formatting out of the camera can be a source of
    > >> trouble. I always format in the camera.

    > > it doesn't make a difference.

    > I'm sure Nikon and Canon would be interested in that.

    they're aware of it, as is every other camera maker.

    what matters is if the cart is fat, not how it got that way.

    either it is or it isn't.

    > They might even
    > revise their instructions.

    they won't.

    > Next time I meet my friend from Canon, who
    > happens to be a senior VP in their camera division, I'll give him your
    > contact information. Tiger would be very interested. Oops! I forgot, he
    > recently was transferred to London. Well, His successor may go the same
    > place I do, too.

    london is nice.

    > > they say that because they have only tested formatting in their camera,
    > > not in every computer out there. although formatting elsewhere will
    > > work, they can't guarantee it because they haven't tested it.

    > Another airplane survey.

    more idiocy.

    > > they also don't recommend using unapproved memory cards, third party
    > > batteries, third party flashes and third party lenses, however, with
    > > rare exception, they too will work.
    > >

    > Who said anything about flashes or batteries.

    just pointing out that they can *only* guarantee what they control.

    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  13. Silent Knight

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/16/2014 8:40 PM, nospam wrote:

    >>> it doesn't make a difference.

    >> I'm sure Nikon and Canon would be interested in that.

    > they're aware of it, as is every other camera maker.
    >
    > what matters is if the cart is fat, not how it got that way.
    >
    > either it is or it isn't.
    >
    >> They might even
    >> revise their instructions.

    > they won't.
    >
    >> Next time I meet my friend from Canon, who
    >> happens to be a senior VP in their camera division, I'll give him your
    >> contact information. Tiger would be very interested. Oops! I forgot, he
    >> recently was transferred to London. Well, His successor may go the same
    >> place I do, too.

    > london is nice.
    >
    >>> they say that because they have only tested formatting in their camera,
    >>> not in every computer out there. although formatting elsewhere will
    >>> work, they can't guarantee it because they haven't tested it.

    >> Another airplane survey.

    > more idiocy.

    Thanks for the explanation of your original statement.

    >>> they also don't recommend using unapproved memory cards, third party
    >>> batteries, third party flashes and third party lenses, however, with
    >>> rare exception, they too will work.
    >>>

    >> Who said anything about flashes or batteries.

    > just pointing out that they can *only* guarantee what they control.
    >
    >>> however, with batteries it's important to avoid offbrand batteries
    >>> because of the risk of low quality batteries leaking, swelling and
    >>> possibly exploding. a name brand third party battery is not a problem
    >>> and could even be the same battery as nikon's own, but with a different
    >>> label.
    >>>

    >> Who said anything about batteries

    > just pointing out that they can *only* guarantee what they control.
    >
    >>> for flashes you only need to make sure the trigger voltage is not
    >>> unusually high, which isn't an issue unless you use really old flashes
    >>> (and there are adapters to avoid this issue entirely anyway).

    >> Who said anything about flashes

    > just pointing out that they can *only* guarantee what they control.

    Oh!

    --
    PeterN
    PeterN, Jun 17, 2014
  14. Silent Knight

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <lnngbu$hgj$>, says...

    > On 06/15/2014 05:53 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

    > >> Long ago we bought some 22 rifles and a 22 revolver and went up into the
    > >> mountains to learn to shoot. I'm incredibly bad, possibly for the same
    > >> reason my handwriting sucks and I can't play the violin.

    > > Did you have an instructor with you who knew what he was doing? One
    > > problem with marksmanship instruction is getting people who think
    > > they're great shots to unlearn all the bad habits they've developed in
    > > many years of hitting a tin can 20 feet away with 3 shots out of 5.
    > > Without a competent coach you won't even be aware of what you're doing
    > > wrong.

    > I have really poor small-muscle control (large-muscle too, when I'm
    > tired) and I'm simply unable to remain still. I doubt if an instructor
    > could fix that.

    You don't "remain still". You apply pressure as you're moving toward
    the target and stop applying as you move away and suddenly "BANG"
    happens and surprises you.
    J. Clarke, Jun 17, 2014
  15. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > >> Who said anything about flashes or batteries.

    > >just pointing out that they can *only* guarantee what they control.

    > But this is not a question of guaranteeing anything. They are warning
    > against what, for some reason, they regard as an unsound practice.

    no, it's because they have no control over what something else will do
    and don't want to say it will work when there's even the slightest
    chance it won't. blame the lawyers.

    > Presumably the computers would format the cards to the FAT standard.

    it's possible the user might choose a different format that won't work,
    such as mac hfs or windows ntfs, or for older cameras, fat32 when the
    camera only knows fat16.

    > From the warning, the cameras must use something slightly different
    > which although it looks like FAT to the computer, looks like something
    > else to the camera. If the cameras only require the card to be
    > formatted to just the standard FAT the camera makers would have
    > nothing to worry about.

    the cameras use a standard fat file system and as long as your computer
    can do that (which it almost certainly can) then there won't be a
    problem.
    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  16. Silent Knight

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 18:07:43 -0400, PeterN
    <> wrote:

    >Every photographer I know formats the card, every time images are copied
    >to a more permanent storage location. I guess if you shot even 100
    >images, you would delete them one by one. Either that, or you don''t
    >really do any photography.

    When I shoot one of my grandson's baseball games, I shoot a couple of
    random shots first thing just to see the histogram. If it's a late
    game, I'll do the same as I bump up the ISO.

    I delete these shots immediately, but it's not really necessary to do
    so. After uploading the card, and checking to see if the upload
    uploaded, I format the card.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 17, 2014
  17. Silent Knight

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:09:44 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >> >do you not use it for anything?
    >> >
    >> >browser history, email, calendar and various other apps will have all
    >> >sorts of information you might not want leaking out.

    >> There are those of us - and this may not include you - who do not use
    >> our browser to go to porn sites. There are those of us - and this may
    >> not include you - who do not send or receive email that would
    >> embarrass us or reveal details about us that could be damaging. There
    >> are those of us - and this may not include you - who don't enter
    >> events on our calendar that we wouldn't want others to see.

    >not many, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with porn sites. that's
    >just more of your idiotic insults.
    >
    >like i said, you don't use it for much, which we know to be true since
    >you refused to even consider downloading any apps when you got your
    >ipad. is that still true??

    I haven't added any apps to my iPad, but what that has to do with the
    phone baffles me. I have a couple of apps on my iPhone, but not many.
    I put that owl sound app on, but haven't used it for a while.

    >but since you have nothing to hide, post your address book,

    All that's there is the first name and phone.

    >text message history,

    Texts are deleted after being read. Who needs to keep "Bring home
    milk"?

    >call history,

    About 90% of which is home, wife's mobile, son's mobile,
    daughter-in-law's mobile, and daughter's mobile.

    >browser bookmarks

    None on my phone.

    > and history,

    Mostly stores to check hours or directions.

    >reminders,

    None.

    >calendar

    Don't use it on my iPhone.

    >notes

    A few that no one could figure out. Some I can't figure out. Why did
    I add "Bracket. 8 plus plus 4 plus 5. It must have meant something
    when I entered it in April.

    >and emails,

    Don't do that from my phone.

    >including full names, street addresses,

    Don't have that on my phone.

    >phone numbers

    Just 5 numbers, all family.

    >and email addresses.

    None on my phone.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 17, 2014
  18. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    > I haven't added any apps to my iPad, but what that has to do with the
    > phone baffles me.

    they're both ios devices that run ios apps.

    the major difference is the display size.

    also, the ipad doesn't have native phone capabilities (but it can
    make/receive calls with a voip app).

    > I have a couple of apps on my iPhone, but not many.
    > I put that owl sound app on, but haven't used it for a while.

    like i said, you don't use it for much.

    the average number of apps per device is over 40.
    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  19. Silent Knight

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Eric Stevens
    <> wrote:

    > Computer formatting will not create the essential DCIM

    trivial to do and some cameras might create that folder if it's not
    there since formatting in a computer is something users might do and
    handling that situation is easy and makes for a happier customer.

    writing a script to automatically create the folder is also possible.
    nospam, Jun 17, 2014
  20. Silent Knight

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 23:05:39 -0400, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Tony Cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't added any apps to my iPad, but what that has to do with the
    >> phone baffles me.

    >they're both ios devices that run ios apps.

    Even I know that. But, so what?

    >the major difference is the display size.
    >
    >also, the ipad doesn't have native phone capabilities (but it can
    >make/receive calls with a voip app).
    >
    >> I have a couple of apps on my iPhone, but not many.
    >> I put that owl sound app on, but haven't used it for a while.

    >like i said, you don't use it for much.

    I do make and receive phone calls on it, you know. That's why I got
    it.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
    Tony Cooper, Jun 17, 2014