    software on my PC and that software could sniff the audio packet and
    reconstruct the talking (recording) via the voip phone?

    Thanks for any advice!

    viop newbie, Nov 1, 2004

  2. viop newbie

    Dmitri Guest

    viop newbie wrote:

    > I ordered a voip service from a company (8x8). it provide me an
    > adapter, which has an etherned cable connects to a router (router
    > connects to cable modem) and a telephone line connect to a telephone.

    > I have PCs connect (wired and wireless) to the router too.

    > What I want to know is: is there anyway for me to install some
    > software on my PC and that software could sniff the audio packet and
    > reconstruct the talking (recording) via the voip phone?

    > Thanks for any advice!

    If connected behind the adapter, you don't have to worry about VoIP, just
    use anything you'd use to record a regular analog phone conversation.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums

    Dmitri, Nov 1, 2004

  3. viop newbie

    wkearney99 Guest

    > What I want to know is: is there anyway for me to install some
    > software on my PC and that software could sniff the audio packet and
    > reconstruct the talking (recording) via the voip phone?

    Be aware that most states have very strict laws regarding wiretapping. In
    many states you cannot record a call without the party's knowledge or a
    court order. Criminal penalties, not just fines, are a risk.

    wkearney99, Nov 1, 2004
  4. viop newbie

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (viop newbie) writes:

    >What I want to know is: is there anyway for me to install some
    >software on my PC and that software could sniff the audio packet and
    >reconstruct the talking (recording) via the voip phone?

    I'm expect that there is but I haven't used it. I'm no help there.

    >Thanks for any advice!

    O.k., here goes...cancel the service if you can. Get a service which
    doesn't lock you into their limited offerings. Then when you want to
    do something interesting like this you won't have to work so darned
    hard against your provider.

    (I use Asterisk at home and I'm looking forward to adding lots of
    recording features. I want records of business calls so that when
    I'm told "Oh, no sir. We would never say that." I can play back the
    earlier call.)

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Nov 1, 2004
  5. viop newbie

    Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:58:19 -0500, "wkearney99"
    <> wrote:

    >> What I want to know is: is there anyway for me to install some
    >> software on my PC and that software could sniff the audio packet and
    >> reconstruct the talking (recording) via the voip phone?

    >Be aware that most states have very strict laws regarding wiretapping. In
    >many states you cannot record a call without the party's knowledge or a
    >court order. Criminal penalties, not just fines, are a risk.

    Also watch on for inter-state calls. In many cases, the courts are
    upholding either the laws where the call originated, or the stricter
    of the two sets of state laws. (A recent high profile example was the
    Monica Lewinsky scandlal and MD wiretapping laws)

    , Nov 3, 2004
  6. viop newbie

    Majortom Guest

    The latest version of ethereal can sniff the rtp packets and convert the
    streams into a .au audio file. The only caveat is that the sniffer needs to
    be on the same "wire" as the rtp packets. With high end switches this isn't
    a problem because you can just span the ports. I don't think you can do this
    with a residential router. You would have to use an old fashioned hub which
    would drop you down to 10mbs/half duplex...not great for big file transfers
    if you have more than 1 pc on your home lan.

    Majortom, Nov 3, 2004