How to read RAW files from Panasonic DMC-FZ8 in Irfanview and Elements 2 ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Davy, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. Davy

    Davy Guest

    Just bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and am very pleased with it. It outputs jpg
    images in two compression levels but doesn't state what level the best is
    (7M pixels translate into a 3Mb file).
    So I thought I would experiment with RAW files. But cannot view them using
    Irfanview 3.98 or edit them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.
    Irfanview does not give an error but displays an image that looks like just
    noise.

    Adobe now have a program/plugin that will read DMC-FZ8 raw files but cannot
    be used with anything less than Elements 5.

    Can anyone advise on how to overcome this problem? I gather there might be
    a DNG based process but don't understand it.

    thanks

    Davy

    Davy, Sep 21, 2007

  2. Davy

    TrevM Guest

    "Davy" <> wrote in message
    > Just bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and am very pleased with it. It outputs
    > jpg
    > images in two compression levels but doesn't state what level the best is
    > (7M pixels translate into a 3Mb file).
    > So I thought I would experiment with RAW files. But cannot view them
    > using
    > Irfanview 3.98 or edit them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.
    > Irfanview does not give an error but displays an image that looks like
    > just
    > noise.
    >
    > Adobe now have a program/plugin that will read DMC-FZ8 raw files but
    > cannot
    > be used with anything less than Elements 5.
    >
    > Can anyone advise on how to overcome this problem? I gather there might
    > be
    > a DNG based process but don't understand it.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Davy

    Irfanview 3.91 reads RAW files OK from my old Canon G2, giving a quick
    640x480 pixel preview. You could try contacting Irfanview to see if there
    is an update for your camera.

    For extracting the maximum quality from RAW files, and saving them as TIFFs,
    BMPs or jpegs, I have found RawTherapee really excellent -
    http://www.rawtherapee.com/?page=download - free, and if you like it you can
    donate via PayPal.

    TrevM

    TrevM, Sep 21, 2007

  3. Davy

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    "Davy" <> wrote:

    > Just bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and am very pleased with it. It outputs jpg
    > images in two compression levels but doesn't state what level the best is
    > (7M pixels translate into a 3Mb file).
    > So I thought I would experiment with RAW files. But cannot view them using
    > Irfanview 3.98 or edit them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.
    > Irfanview does not give an error but displays an image that looks like just
    > noise.

    Why not use the software that came with your camera?

    Shawn Hirn, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Davy

    Wim J Guest

    Re: How to read RAW files from Panasonic DMC-FZ8 in Irfanview andElements 2 ?

    Davy wrote:
    > Just bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and am very pleased with it. It outputs jpg
    > images in two compression levels but doesn't state what level the best is
    > (7M pixels translate into a 3Mb file).
    > So I thought I would experiment with RAW files. But cannot view them using
    > Irfanview 3.98 or edit them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.
    > Irfanview does not give an error but displays an image that looks like just
    > noise.
    >
    > Adobe now have a program/plugin that will read DMC-FZ8 raw files but cannot
    > be used with anything less than Elements 5.
    >
    > Can anyone advise on how to overcome this problem? I gather there might be
    > a DNG based process but don't understand it.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Davy

    Maybe you can use adobe raw converter ?
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3730

    Your camera is supported as far as I can see.

    Wim

    Wim J, Sep 22, 2007
  5. Davy

    Davy Guest

    "TrevM" <> wrote in message

    > For extracting the maximum quality from RAW files, and saving them as

    TIFFs,
    > BMPs or jpegs, I have found RawTherapee really excellent -
    > http://www.rawtherapee.com/?page=download - free, and if you like it you

    can
    > donate via PayPal.

    Thanks TrevM, I downloaded and installed Rawtherapee and it works a treat.
    Crashed once and does not seem to allow me to reduce an image to web size -
    but otherwise excellent.

    Davy

    Davy, Sep 22, 2007
  6. Davy

    Davy Guest

    "Shawn Hirn" <> wrote in message
    > Why not use the software that came with your camera?

    Silkypix came with the camera but I don't want to install it cos I
    understand (maybe incorrectly) that it is a full blown picture editor and I
    don't want to install a large amount of software. Also it will be an older
    version and with probably no chance of updates?

    So I went for Rawtherapee - it is a raw converter and nothing else and
    updates freely available.

    Davy

    Davy, Sep 22, 2007
  7. Davy

    Davy Guest

    Davy, Sep 22, 2007
  8. Davy

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:11:28 +0100, "Davy"
    <> wrote:

    >"Shawn Hirn" <> wrote in message
    >> Why not use the software that came with your camera?

    >Silkypix came with the camera but I don't want to install it cos I
    >understand (maybe incorrectly) that it is a full blown picture editor and I
    >don't want to install a large amount of software. Also it will be an older
    >version and with probably no chance of updates?

    It's a raw converter, not a picture editor. The version
    supplied is specifically for your camera, it's the
    well-proven and stable version 2 and needs no updates.

    >So I went for Rawtherapee - it is a raw converter and nothing else and
    >updates freely available.

    And it's not as good a raw converter as Silkypix, nor is it
    "finished" software. That's why it needs frequent bug-fixes.

    I find your reasoning a bit odd, but it's your choice of
    course.

    --
    John Bean

    John Bean, Sep 22, 2007
  9. Davy

    Davy Guest

    "John Bean" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:11:28 +0100, "Davy"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Shawn Hirn" <> wrote in message
    > >> Why not use the software that came with your camera?

    > >Silkypix .........>

    > It's a raw converter, not a picture editor. The version
    > supplied is specifically for your camera, it's the
    > well-proven and stable version 2 and needs no updates.
    >
    > >So I went for Rawtherapee -

    > And it's not as good a raw converter as Silkypix, nor is it
    > "finished" software. That's why it needs frequent bug-fixes.
    >
    > I find your reasoning a bit odd, but it's your choice of
    > course.
    >
    > --
    > John Bean

    John,

    my reasoning is not odd, just ignorant. Thanks for your advice. I will
    install Silkypix; after a raw converter is unlikely to be excellent for all
    subjects so I will have a choice of using Silkypix or Rawtherapee depending
    upon image and results.

    thanks, Davy

    Davy, Sep 22, 2007
  10. On Sep 22, 11:12 am, "Davy" <> wrote:
    > "Wim J" <> wrote in message

    [snip]
    > > Maybe you can use adobe raw converter ?
    > >http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3730

    > > Your camera is supported as far as I can see.

    > Don't I need the latest version of Photoshop Elements 5 to use this?

    You can use the DNG route. Convert to DNG with the latest DNG
    Converter, then process the DNGs with older versions of ACR in older
    Adobe products.
    http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/dng/ps_cs.htm

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/

    Barry Pearson, Sep 23, 2007
  11. Davy

    Davy Guest

    "Barry Pearson" <> wrote in message >
    > You can use the DNG route. Convert to DNG with the latest DNG
    > Converter, then process the DNGs with older versions of ACR in older
    > Adobe products.
    > http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/dng/ps_cs.htm

    Barry, your reply is timely. I have just installed Silkypix that came with
    the camera and it doesn't seem to work on my system - varying the sharpness
    had no effect on the preview (even with preview refresh checked) or the
    saved (developed) image.
    I was beginning to wonder what was the point of Silkypix and Rawtherapee
    when I could do exactly the same, or better, with my existing Photoshop
    Elements 2 package without needing to learn a new package - if only I could
    get the raw image into my Elements 2.
    Your DNG route sounds interesting but I think that Elements 3 was the first
    version that could read DNG files (??).

    So if I need to upgrade to version 3 then I might as well go all the way to
    version 5 which will read the raw file from my Panasonic DMC-FZ8

    But part of me says that I would be foolish to leave my raw files in a
    camera proprietary format which one day may be unusable - better to convert
    to DNG?

    Davy

    Davy, Sep 23, 2007
  12. Davy

    Davy Guest

    "Davy" <> wrote in message

    > So if I need to upgrade to version 3 then I might as well go all the way

    > version 5 which will read the raw file from my Panasonic DMC-FZ8

    whoops, just found out that the highest version of Photoshop Element that my
    Windows 2000 will run is V3. So looks like the DNG route it is.
    Davy

    Davy, Sep 23, 2007
  13. Davy

    Trent G2 Guest

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:08:37 +0100, "Davy" <>
    wrote:

    >"TrevM" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> For extracting the maximum quality from RAW files, and saving them as

    >TIFFs,
    >> BMPs or jpegs, I have found RawTherapee really excellent -
    >> http://www.rawtherapee.com/?page=download - free, and if you like it you

    >can
    >> donate via PayPal.
    >>

    >Thanks TrevM, I downloaded and installed Rawtherapee and it works a treat.
    >Crashed once and does not seem to allow me to reduce an image to web size -
    >but otherwise excellent.
    >
    >Davy

    If you want an editor with more features than PhotoShop, is a full 32-bit
    platform as opposed to 16-bit only Photoshop, can also read nearly every RAW
    file on earth, even some unknown experimental RAW formats, then get PhotoLine 32
    from www.pl32.com

    Though for freeware/donationware RAW Therapee can't be beat. I like it much
    better than Adobe's Lightroom. Much more processing control on the RAW data.

    Trent G2, Sep 24, 2007
  14. Davy

    John Navas Guest

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:35:25 +0100, "Davy"
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Just bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and am very pleased with it. It outputs jpg
    >images in two compression levels but doesn't state what level the best is
    >(7M pixels translate into a 3Mb file).
    >So I thought I would experiment with RAW files. But cannot view them using
    >Irfanview 3.98 or edit them with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.
    >Irfanview does not give an error but displays an image that looks like just
    >noise.
    >
    >Adobe now have a program/plugin that will read DMC-FZ8 raw files but cannot
    >be used with anything less than Elements 5.
    >
    >Can anyone advise on how to overcome this problem? I gather there might be
    >a DNG based process but don't understand it.

    Use the Adobe DNG Converter (free download) to convert to DNG, and then
    open the DNG in Irfanview.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http:/navasgroup.com>