    a DVD disk but in VCD format and play back with DVD
    player. The DVD player recognizes it as VCD format and
    play it 4 hours no-stopping.

    Jian, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Jian

    luminos Guest

    No.

    luminos, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Jian

    Starz_Kid Guest

    Hello Jian, Actually a number of DVD authoring programs
    such as Movie Factory and DVDiT let you use mpeg-1 files
    as the source. That way you can fit your vcd movies to 1 DVD!

    An alternate way would be to use a program like TMPGenc to
    transcode your vcd files to DVD standards, then use those to
    make a DVD!!

    Either way would work!!!

    Starz_Kid...

    Starz_Kid, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Jian

    luminos Guest

    Then, they are not VCD files anymore. They have been transcoded (at huge
    time expense). Therefore, the answer to the original question remains no.

    luminos, Oct 6, 2003
  5. CAndersen (Kimba), Oct 6, 2003
  6. CAndersen (Kimba) wrote:

    > See if this page helps you out:
    > http://ness888.users.btopenworld.com/fromvcd2dvd.htm

    I am not the original poster, but thanks for the link anyway. It will
    certainly make converting some Pearl Jam concert VCD's to DVD much
    similar when I find the time.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Jian

    Jian Guest

    It doesn't have to be VCD format on DVD disk.

    VCD is a low resolution, small zise format while
    real DVD is high resolution, large size format.
    The question really is: is there such thing as
    'a DVD movie at VCD resolution' (from VCD source, actually
    it has no point to make it real DVD resolution)
    and make a DVD movie of 6 hours on a single layer
    but VCD resolution playable with a DVD player.

    The answer would be 'YES' or 'NO'.

    Is it techniquely possible?

    Thanks.

    Jian

    Jian, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Jian

    luminos Guest

    Yes.

    luminos, Oct 7, 2003
  9. Jian

    Jian Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message news:<blvcn4$epu$>...
    > Yes.

    So, you know how to make it? Thanks in advance.

    Jian, Oct 8, 2003
  10. Jian wrote:
    > "luminos" <> wrote in message news:<blvcn4$epu$>...
    >
    >>Yes.

    > So, you know how to make it? Thanks in advance.

    Just input to VCD mpg files into TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will take them
    and turn it into DVD format, without changing the video. It will,
    however, re-encode the audio to 48KHz from the original 44.1KHz.

    BCA

    Brian C. Allen, Oct 8, 2003
  11. Jian

    Steve Guest

    > Just input to VCD mpg files into TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will take them
    > and turn it into DVD format, without changing the video. It will,
    > however, re-encode the audio to 48KHz from the original 44.1KHz.
    >
    > BCA

    Brian -

    You hit the nail on the head. What you end up with is a VCD-DVD. The
    video remains an MPEG-1 VCD standard. Most DVD players already can
    handle this format. The only difference is that the audio is changed
    from 41KHz to 48KHz. I've done this plenty of times. I would suggest
    that you do not re-encode the VCD video to DVD compliant MPEG-2. You
    will actually suffer resolution loss in this type of transfer. I've
    used both TMPGenc and Ulead's DVD Movie Factory for this process. For
    more information about this - I would suggest that you head over to
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com - Best of luck to you.

    Steve

    Steve, Oct 8, 2003
  12. Jian

    Jian Guest

    (Steve) wrote in message news:<>...

    > > Just input to VCD mpg files into TMPGEnc DVD Author. It will take them
    > > and turn it into DVD format, without changing the video. It will,
    > > however, re-encode the audio to 48KHz from the original 44.1KHz.
    > >
    > > BCA

    > Brian -
    >
    > You hit the nail on the head. What you end up with is a VCD-DVD. The
    > video remains an MPEG-1 VCD standard. Most DVD players already can
    > handle this format. The only difference is that the audio is changed
    > from 41KHz to 48KHz.....

    > Steve

    Steve:

    To keep it VCD resolution 'VCD-DVD' is the point. The question of this post
    was to keep the file size roughly the same level. That is to play the VCD
    movie in DVD format on a DVD player.

    What's the point of doing this? Well, a 4hr movie contained in 6 or so
    VCDs. Whatching it, one has to change the disk 6 times. By combining it
    into 1 DVD disk, you can have 1 disk and whatch it once non-stopping.

    Also I have old 8mm video of kids. It's low resolution and it has no point
    to make it high resolution and show 2 hours on a DVD. It's better to keep
    whatever resolution as it was and put 6 hours or so of such things in one DVD.
    Of course, it has to be playable by ordinary DVD player.

    Jian

    Jian, Oct 9, 2003