    well as Roxio) "stretches" the video to full screen. The resolution of the
    video can't handle this so the image quality is very poor. Anyway to put it
    on a DVD and leave the image "unstretched"?
    Stuff, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Stuff

    erratic Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:23:33 GMT, "Stuff" <> wrote:

    >When I try to put a 320X240 movie on DVD, the authoring software (TMPGEnc as
    >well as Roxio) "stretches" the video to full screen. The resolution of the
    >video can't handle this so the image quality is very poor. Anyway to put it
    >on a DVD and leave the image "unstretched"?

    You can make a low resolution DVD with TMPGEnc's Project Wizard. The
    video will still be resized to 352x240 but this won't be as bad as
    resizing it to 720x480.

    If you choose Center as the video arrange method on the Advanced tab,
    TMPGEnc will not resize the video, but add black bars instead. However,
    this will result in an incorrect aspect ratio on your TV.
    erratic, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Stuff

    Frank Guest

    "Stuff" <> wrote in message
    > When I try to put a 320X240 movie on DVD, the authoring software (TMPGEnc

    as
    > well as Roxio) "stretches" the video to full screen. The resolution of the
    > video can't handle this so the image quality is very poor. Anyway to put

    it
    > on a DVD and leave the image "unstretched"?

    encode it with TMPenc but make sure under the advanced setting you set the
    video arrange method to "full screen keep aspect ratio"
    Frank, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Stuff

    Stuff Guest

    Tried that in TMPGEnc Plus to create the mpg, but when actually burned the
    DVD with TMPGEnc Author, it stretched it to 720X480.

    Stuff, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Stuff

    erratic Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:56:44 GMT, "Stuff" <> wrote:

    >Tried that in TMPGEnc Plus to create the mpg, but when actually burned the
    >DVD with TMPGEnc Author, it stretched it to 720X480.

    I haven't used TMPGEnc DVD Author, but AFAIK it doesn't re-encode the
    video, and stretching it would make re-encoding necessary. So if the
    video is not re-encoded, it's not stretched or changed in any way.
    erratic, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Stuff

    Stuff Guest

    Thanks for you help. From the wizard, selected DVD, NTSC, on 3/5 screen
    select Other Settings, Advanced, set Video Arrange Method to Center (custom)
    and set size to actual size of video (ie 320X240) and it did exactly what I
    wanted.

    Stuff, Feb 27, 2004
  7. IDK if you've played it back yet or not, doing that is probably not what you
    wanted to do.

    When you playback 352x240 video with a aspect ratio of 4:3 set in it, since
    the actual aspect is 22:15 (its wider than 4:3), what it does is
    horizontally compresses it to a 4:3 aspect, which is obtained at 320x240.

    So, really, what you've done is taken 320x240 video letterboxed it to
    352x240 then compressed it to 320x240, which would be a video playback space
    of 290.

    Basically, now you're video is 290x240 during playback, which is 1.2:1
    roughly. It should appear that people are strangely skinny and tall, yet
    not too much, but noticeably so.

    BTW, I don't know what the bitrate TMPGEnc sets the bitrate to, but the
    combined audio & video bitrates cannot exceed 1.98MBps for MPEG-1 video on
    DVD. The audio bitrate to be used is the stream with the highest bitrate.
    That is to say, you can have seven 192kbps AC3 tracks to go with the video,
    and one 224kbps MPEG-2 track, which would be in DVD spec (8 audio tracks,
    AC3/MP2). But, your video has to be 1750kbps, so that when they are
    combined you are at or under 1.98Mbps (this is actually 1980kbps, not
    2028kbps). If it weren't for the MP2 track, you could have 1785kbps. Not
    too much of a difference, but enough to cause skips during playback on
    atleast some players.

    You can use CBR or VBR. It only makes sense to use VBR if you plan on
    having a bunch of content. I'm talking like 400+ minutes. Otherwise, use
    CBR, and set it to the max you can and still remain in DVD spec.

    Anonymous Joe, Feb 29, 2004