    Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.

    So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    tasTDasd, Feb 20, 2008

  2. tasTDasd

    olfart Guest

    "tasTDasd" <> wrote in message
    news:fpgrqt$hl5$...
    > It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    > pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >
    > But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    > Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >
    > So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    > in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    us rednecks say "co"

    olfart, Feb 20, 2008

  3. tasTDasd

    Kenny Guest

    Rhymes with more, sore and whore.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Feb 20, 2008
  4. tasTDasd

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "tasTDasd" <> wrote in message
    >> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    >> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >>
    >> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    >> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >>
    >> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    >> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?
    >>

    > us rednecks say "co"

    Too good, olfart!...and if you drop it on the flo, it will probably
    break. So just pick it up, wipe it off, and take it along as you exit
    through the do. Ya' know, us rednecks sho do talk a bit strange, huh? ;)
    But to be serious, I think we pronounce it such that it rhymes with "whore",
    "bore", and "four". ja notice one of those words had more'n 4 letters? s

    sdlomi2, Feb 20, 2008
  5. tasTDasd

    olfart Guest

    "sdlomi2" <> wrote in message

    > "olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "tasTDasd" <> wrote in message
    >>> It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    >>> pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >>>
    >>> But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    >>> Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >>>
    >>> So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    >>> in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?
    >>>

    >> us rednecks say "co"

    > Too good, olfart!...and if you drop it on the flo, it will probably
    > break. So just pick it up, wipe it off, and take it along as you exit
    > through the do. Ya' know, us rednecks sho do talk a bit strange, huh? ;)
    > But to be serious, I think we pronounce it such that it rhymes with
    > "whore", "bore", and "four". ja notice one of those words had more'n 4
    > letters? s

    I'm not so sho I can go with mo than fo. Lost my thumb in a huntin aksident.
    Got it stuck in a can of Bud and my buddy tried to shoot it off

    olfart, Feb 20, 2008
  6. tasTDasd

    John Holmes Guest

    Kenny "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Rhymes with more, sore and whore.

    Door?

    --
    <znip>

    John Holmes, Feb 20, 2008
  7. "tasTDasd" <> wrote in message
    > It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    > pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >
    > But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    > Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >
    > So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    > in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    Yes, it's 'Kor'.

    So they never had adverts for them on TV in China?

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AFz--z5Meho

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Feb 20, 2008
  8. tasTDasd wrote:

    > It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    > pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >
    > But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    > Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >
    > So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    > in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    kor

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 20, 2008
  9. tasTDasd

    catchme Guest

    tasTDasd wrote:
    > It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    > pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >
    > But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    > Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >
    > So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    > in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    ni ho mah?
    the correct pronounciation of "core" is as you thought- "kor."

    catchme, Feb 21, 2008
  10. tasTDasd

    ProfGene Guest

    tasTDasd wrote:
    > It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    > pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >
    > But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    > Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >
    > So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    > in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    You were right the first time like kor just like you are coring an apple.

    ProfGene, Feb 21, 2008
  11. tasTDasd

    tasTDasd Guest

    Thanks, guys.

    And I think they sho do have TV commercials for Co 2 Duo in China.
    I ja don't watch that much TV. Spend mo time reading

    tasTDasd, Feb 21, 2008
  12. tasTDasd

    catchme Guest

    tasTDasd wrote:
    > Thanks, guys.
    >
    > And I think they sho do have TV commercials for Co 2 Duo in China.
    > I ja don't watch that much TV. Spend mo time reading

    if posting from China- i think you need pgp and the use of a proxy to
    get around those authorities watching the internet closely?
    my understanding is that chinese authorities are worse than americans' NSA

    catchme, Feb 21, 2008
  13. tasTDasd

    Guest

    tasTDasd wrote:
    > It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    > pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >
    > But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    > Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >
    > So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    > in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    In English, the word "Core" is pronounced as "kor."

    , Feb 21, 2008
  14. tasTDasd

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    olfart wrote:
    > "sdlomi2" <> wrote in message
    >> "olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>> "tasTDasd" <> wrote in message

    >>> us rednecks say "co"

    >> Too good, olfart!...and if you drop it on the flo, it will probably
    >> break. So just pick it up, wipe it off, and take it along as you exit
    >> through the do. Ya' know, us rednecks sho do talk a bit strange, huh? ;)
    >> But to be serious, I think we pronounce it such that it rhymes with
    >> "whore", "bore", and "four". ja notice one of those words had more'n 4
    >> letters? s
    >>

    > I'm not so sho I can go with mo than fo. Lost my thumb in a huntin aksident.
    > Got it stuck in a can of Bud and my buddy tried to shoot it off

    I hope it was the thumb yo buddy tried to shoot off, and not the can of Bud.

    (Shootin a can of Bud is a shootin offence, at least when it is full)

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Feb 21, 2008
  15. tasTDasd

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:27:54 +0800, "tasTDasd" <> wrote:

    >It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    >pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.
    >
    >But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    >Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.
    >
    >So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    >in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    Kor, mate.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Feb 21, 2008
  16. tasTDasd

    blackieK Guest

    On Feb 20, 11:34 am, "olfart" <> wrote:
    > "tasTDasd" <> wrote in message

    > > It should be natural for a foreign learner of English, like me, to
    > > pronounce the word 'core' as 'kor', as the dictionary instructs.

    > > But the official Chinese translation of the word "Core" in "Intel Core 2
    > > Duo" is pronounced very much like 'ku-rei' in Chinese.

    > > So, I am at a loss. What is the correct English pronunciation of 'Core'
    > > in "Core 2 Duo", anyway? The usual 'kor', ku-rei, ko-rei, or what?

    > us rednecks say "co"

    Those that said "more", "door" and "sore" are correct.

    The rule in English is that the "e" is silent, but makes the previous
    vowel say its own name.
    Some other examples of the "e" being silent but causing the previous
    vowel to say its own name are -
    hat hate
    mat mate
    bit bite