    screen? Use ESC ? {{{

    Sounds to me like the A/V is telling him he has a virus. If that's the case
    what's the next step?
    RB, Nov 17, 2004

  2. RB

    code_wrong Guest

    "RB" <> wrote in message
    news:KQImd.33911$...
    > Trying to help a friend whose 80 yr old Dad (not computer literate) has
    > the
    > following problem. My friend is computer literate, but lives a long way
    > from his Dad. Here's the symptom and problem:
    >
    > }}} My father has AVG anti-virus on his computer. He said he has a red
    > wall
    > come up on his screen when he boots up and has a hard time getting out of
    > it. Is this a normal AVG screen and what do you do to get it off your
    > screen? Use ESC ? {{{
    >
    > Sounds to me like the A/V is telling him he has a virus. If that's the
    > case
    > what's the next step?

    I regularly get a message from AVG on a windows95 machine .. its a red
    rectangle .. and itsays somethin like ..no viruses detected .. it then
    goeson to boot with no interation from me..
    First thing .. get your user to read the message!
    code_wrong, Nov 17, 2004

  3. RB

    donnie Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:48:29 -0000, "code_wrong" <>
    wrote:

    >"RB" <> wrote in message
    >> Trying to help a friend whose 80 yr old Dad (not computer literate) has
    >> the
    >> following problem. My friend is computer literate, but lives a long way
    >> from his Dad. Here's the symptom and problem:
    >>
    >> }}} My father has AVG anti-virus on his computer. He said he has a red
    >> wall
    >> come up on his screen when he boots up and has a hard time getting out of
    >> it. Is this a normal AVG screen and what do you do to get it off your
    >> screen? Use ESC ? {{{
    >>
    >> Sounds to me like the A/V is telling him he has a virus. If that's the
    >> case
    >> what's the next step?

    >I regularly get a message from AVG on a windows95 machine .. its a red
    >rectangle .. and itsays somethin like ..no viruses detected .. it then
    >goeson to boot with no interation from me..
    >First thing .. get your user to read the message!

    My father is also in his 80s and sometimes I can walk him through
    those things over the phone. Making a note of the error message is
    the first thing as code_wrong stated. If it's just a screen saying no
    viruses detected, then I would have him run msconfig and stop the AV
    from loading on startup. He can run it at a later time. I also teach
    the average user to search the error msg on google. Many times the
    answer is right there.
    donnie.
    donnie, Nov 18, 2004