    print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
    newbie to Cisco so I need details.

    Thanks
    Albie, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Albie wrote:
    > I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
    > file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
    > "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
    > print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
    > newbie to Cisco so I need details.
    >
    > Thanks

    I always just use a terminal emulator program (I use PuTTY for
    over-the-network sessions, and hyperterminal or minicom for serial),
    and turn on logging for printable output to a file, then do a 'show
    run'. There might be a fancy way, but this is very straightforward.

    Almost any terminal emulator will do this- hyperterminal will if you use
    Transfer....Capture text option.
    Chris Bartram, Nov 9, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    Albie <> wrote:
    :I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
    :file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
    :"configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
    :print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
    :newbie to Cisco so I need details.

    1) set up a tftp server
    2) [on most servers but not all] pre-create the destination file and
    make it writable by the tftp daemon (e.g., world writable)
    3) on the PIX, go into configuration mode and use the tftp-server
    command to point to the correct interface and host and filename. [*]
    4) on the PIX, go into configuration mode and command write net
    IMPORTANT: you MUST be in configuration mode, not in command mode!
    5) back on the tftp server, look at the newly-written file.

    [*] Advanced Use:

    You need the tftp-server command to indicate the proper interface, but
    it does not actually need to indicate the proper host or proper output
    file. You can specify the host and output file on the "write net"
    command-line.

    write net THEHOST:FILENAME

    The default interface for tftp-server is the inside interface.
    Walter Roberson, Nov 9, 2005
  4. "Albie" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
    > file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
    > "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
    > print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
    > newbie to Cisco so I need details.

    This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File
    |Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I can
    view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to enter a
    command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both worlds,
    IMO.
    you know who maybe, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Albie

    Albie Guest

    you know who maybe wrote:
    > "Albie" <> wrote in message
    > >I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
    > > file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
    > > "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
    > > print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
    > > newbie to Cisco so I need details.
    > >

    > This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File
    > |Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I can
    > view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to enter a
    > command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both worlds,
    > IMO.

    What is PDM and is it a tool for Cisco products? Where can I find this
    tool and how is it run? I've already asked for the file and received it
    after my colleague was able to copy and paste it to a notepad. It was
    tedious and impracticle to do it that way but if we used this "PDM" it
    might help us to better view the configuration. Thanks again!
    Albie, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Albie

    Albie Guest

    I'll try this out and see howfar I can get into it without screwing up
    anything. Thanks.
    Albie, Nov 10, 2005
  7. "Albie" <> wrote in message

    > you know who maybe wrote:
    >> "Albie" <> wrote in message
    >> >I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
    >> > file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
    >> > "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
    >> > print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
    >> > newbie to Cisco so I need details.
    >> >

    >> This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File
    >> |Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I
    >> can
    >> view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to
    >> enter a
    >> command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both
    >> worlds,
    >> IMO.

    > What is PDM and is it a tool for Cisco products? Where can I find this
    > tool and how is it run? I've already asked for the file and received it
    > after my colleague was able to copy and paste it to a notepad. It was
    > tedious and impracticle to do it that way but if we used this "PDM" it
    > might help us to better view the configuration. Thanks again!

    PDM is a graphical user interface (GUI) for PIX. It is downloaded from
    Cisco's website if you have a maintenance contract, etc.

    To see if you have PDM already installed type "show ver" at the config line.
    You are looking for something like this:

    Cisco PIX Firewall Version 6.3(5)
    Cisco PIX Device Manager Version 3.0(4)
    you know who maybe, Nov 10, 2005
  8. Albie

    Guest

    "Albie" <> wrote:

    >you know who maybe wrote:
    >> "Albie" <> wrote in message
    >> >I am looking for a way to print the configuration of the PIX 515 to a
    >> > file. How is this done? I am not sure how to do it using the "write",
    >> > "configure" or "show" commands. I can't figure out the proper syntax to
    >> > print it out to a file. Can any one tell me how to do this? I'm a
    >> > newbie to Cisco so I need details.
    >> >

    >> This is one place that PDM really works well. In PDM you can go to File
    >> |Show Running config in new window. I use PDM now all the time because I can
    >> view the config in a window and scroll up and down, and if I need to enter a
    >> command at the CLI., I do so from the Tools menu. The best of both worlds,
    >> IMO.

    >What is PDM and is it a tool for Cisco products? Where can I find this
    >tool and how is it run? I've already asked for the file and received it
    >after my colleague was able to copy and paste it to a notepad. It was
    >tedious and impracticle to do it that way but if we used this "PDM" it
    >might help us to better view the configuration. Thanks again!

    PDM (PIX Device Manager) is a monitoring and management tool that must be
    installed on your PIX and you must have a current valid maintenance contract
    with Cisco to dl it.

    When I was a Cisco new-newbie I refused to believe the 'experts' when I was told
    to learn from the CLI because it is too slow and limited to rely on PDM. Not
    that GUI editing is bad but Cisco's PDM just plain sucks for editing your
    configuration! Now that I am a old-newbie, I understand. The PDM is great for
    monitoring (mine runs all the time) but seriously learn to configure your PIX
    from the CLI; the free telnet prog. Putty is one of the best (much better than
    Microsoft's telnet).

    BTW, if you have an older PIX, be prepared to shell out a lot of extra money if
    you want the latest PDM because your PIX will require more memory.

    Anyhow, viewing and printing your configuration is really simple from within PDM
    like another contributor stated already. FILE / SHOW RUNNING CONF in another
    window.

    To access PDM, simply open your Internet Browser (doesn't work in Firefox), and
    enter: https://yourpixipaddress

    For an excellent resource about PDM see here:
    http://www.netcraftsmen.net/welcher/papers/pdm.html

    To print your configuration from PuTTY
    (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)
    Login to your PIX
    Type: #sh conf (for show configuration)
    Click the top/left screen icon (in Putty) and select, "COPY ALL TO CLIPBOARD"
    Open a text browser and paste.

    That is all.

    Shawn
    , Nov 11, 2005