How to print photos

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello

    I just need some advice on how to print photos. I just got this Epson
    printer but I've never done photos before.

    In order to print what software should I open the photos in, and how
    do I get the photos to print on photo paper that is 6x4"/10x15cms, if
    the photo size is bigger or smaller than that? Is there an option you
    can select to make it fit? I wouldn't want it to leave white gaps or
    go over the edge of the paper and make an inky mess. Also, how do you
    know which way to put the paper in? landscape or portrait? And will
    the printer automatically sense where the paper is when its feeding
    through? Or do I have to make sure it's right at the side of the
    printer tray at the back?

    I am just repairing a photo for my sister that had a crack along it.
    I am copying/cloning bits of her face above or below the crack and
    putting on top so you can't tell it was ever there in the first place.
    I should have it finish tomorrow night then I'll be ready to test the
    photo in the printer.

    Thanks for your help

    John (newbie photo printer)
    John, Oct 11, 2004

  2. John

    Thor Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I just need some advice on how to print photos. I just got this Epson
    > printer but I've never done photos before.
    >
    > In order to print what software should I open the photos in,

    that depends on what is installed on your computer. I use "Microsoft Picture
    it! 9 premium" software. Allows you to retouch, print, put in effects, etc.
    Chances are that whatever you use to edit and touch up the photos you have,
    is what you can print from as well. Check your help files for your
    particular program.

    > do I get the photos to print on photo paper that is 6x4"/10x15cms, if
    > the photo size is bigger or smaller than that?

    Many photo editing/printing programs have a "fit to paper size" option. Just
    make sure you have it set to retain the aspect ratio (the original
    proportions), or you could end up with a stretched or squished photo.

    > I wouldn't want it to leave white gaps or
    > go over the edge of the paper and make an inky mess.

    First of all, your printer must be capable of "edge to edge" printing in
    order to easily avoid having the white border, unless you want to risk
    printing past the edges by accident, leaving a mess inside the printer.
    Check your printer manual for this feature. Many printers lack this ability.
    You can usually do it manually with an older non "edge-to-edge" printer by
    selecting a paper size that is larger than the actual paper being used. This
    is risky though, as it is easy to cause a mess as I said. Easier to just use
    a paper cutter to trim off the white border after the fact, if it bothers
    you. What you need to do is purchase some paper, and then when you print,
    make sure you go into the printer settings first and select the nearest
    matching paper type and size from the options given. For example, if you buy
    some glossy photo paper, and you select "print" from your photo
    editing/printing program, the printer dialog box usually appears, with a few
    buttons like "printer settings" etc. Check those for paper type options.
    Also if you want the best looking prints, always use the maximum quality
    settings in the printer settings. Most use a "medium" quality setting by
    default, and if you want good looking photo prints, you really want to
    change this to "best" quality/highest DPI, etc. Also when using glossy photo
    paper, make sure you are aware of how your printer feeds in it's paper. You
    may need to put the glossy side down, or glossy side up in the paper feed
    tray, depending on how your printer loads it's paper. If you put it in the
    wrong way, you may end up with an inky mess, since the ink will not adhere
    to the backside of many types of glossy paper.

    > Also, how do you
    > know which way to put the paper in? landscape or portrait? And will
    > the printer automatically sense where the paper is when its feeding
    > through? Or do I have to make sure it's right at the side of the
    > printer tray at the back?

    typically you have the paper stack pushed to the right side of the tray, and
    move the paper guide over to the stack's edge to keep the stack straight.
    This should be fairly obvious when you put the paper in the printer.
    Landscape and portait modes are handled in the software, not in the manner
    by which you load the paper. Pretty much all conventional printers load the
    paper portait-style. It can print it either way according to how the
    software is set by the user.

    > I am just repairing a photo for my sister that had a crack along it.
    > I am copying/cloning bits of her face above or below the crack and
    > putting on top so you can't tell it was ever there in the first place.
    > I should have it finish tomorrow night then I'll be ready to test the
    > photo in the printer.

    Good luck.
    Thor, Oct 11, 2004

  3. In article
    <>,
    kadbitcha <> wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >
    >> I am copying/cloning bits of her face above or below the crack and
    >> putting on top so you can't tell it was ever there in the first place.
    >> I should have it finish tomorrow night then I'll be ready to test the

    >You're not Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon by any chance, are you?

    If you went to a plastic surgeon and asked him for a makeover, I bet
    he would give you a lobotomy.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "That is a bot or someone playing as a bot. I dumped it in my KF the
    first day. Is it following the group or me?" -- 'Ratz
    Lady Chatterly, Oct 11, 2004
    :

    Lady Chatterly's Fucker, Oct 11, 2004
  5. John

    A Wheeler Guest

    Lady Chatterly <> scribbled in using a crayon

    > In article
    > <>,
    > kadbitcha <> wrote:
    >>
    >>John wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am copying/cloning bits of her face above or below the crack and
    >>> putting on top so you can't tell it was ever there in the first

    place.
    >>> I should have it finish tomorrow night then I'll be ready to test

    the

    >>You're not Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon by any chance, are you?

    > If you went to a plastic surgeon and asked him for a makeover, I bet
    > he would give you a lobotomy.

    If I were you, I wouldn't speak badly of anyone, considering the fact,
    you ARE you.

    --
    Hideous Haiku:
    amputees ascend