How to Print from microfiche.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mike, Sep 25, 2006.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    I have some TEK instrument manuals on Microfiche.
    Images are less than half an inch across.
    I'd like to print pages of fiche.

    I have a Quantor 308 microfiche reader.
    I've tried setting up a digital camera to take pix
    off the reader. This works, sorta, but the reader
    doesn't zoom and can't display the whole page at once.
    Have to take 4 pictures and stitch them together.
    Takes a long time and quality is poor.

    I bought a Tamron Fotovix TF60WU. The concept is
    right, the zoom is adequate, but the video output
    resolution is woefully insufficient.

    What's a cheap, like zero is cheap, method to get
    digital images of tiny stuff? I have a 2MP camera,
    Kodak DC280,
    I could dedicate to the project, but the darn lens
    moves in and out. Can't figure out how I can hook anything
    to it. I'm gonna need at least one more lens to get
    close enough focus.

    I have a stereo inspection microscope that could do the
    job, but again, can't figure out how to get the
    camera attached to it with the moving lens assembly.

    Experimented with a flatbed scanner with extremely poor results.

    I have a large amount of fiche, so it's impractical to
    convert it before I need it. Whatever I do won't be used
    much, if ever, so needs to be cheap.

    Suggestions?
    Thanks, mike

    mike, Sep 25, 2006

  2. mike

    Paul Rubin Guest

    mike <> writes:
    > What's a cheap, like zero is cheap, method to get digital images of
    > tiny stuff? I have a 2MP camera, Kodak DC280, I could dedicate to
    > the project, but the darn lens moves in and out. Can't figure out
    > how I can hook anything to it. I'm gonna need at least one more
    > lens to get close enough focus.

    Try something like a Raynox close-up lens. As a first approximation,
    shoot through a cheap loupe.

    > I have a large amount of fiche, so it's impractical to convert it
    > before I need it. Whatever I do won't be used much, if ever, so
    > needs to be cheap.

    If it's not worth considering not-so-cheap solutions, maybe it's not
    worth doing at all.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 25, 2006

  3. mike

    Stewy Guest

    In article <PVERg.1480$Wi1.1276@trnddc06>, mike <> wrote:

    > I have some TEK instrument manuals on Microfiche.
    > Images are less than half an inch across.
    > I'd like to print pages of fiche.
    >
    > I have a Quantor 308 microfiche reader.
    > I've tried setting up a digital camera to take pix
    > off the reader. This works, sorta, but the reader
    > doesn't zoom and can't display the whole page at once.
    > Have to take 4 pictures and stitch them together.
    > Takes a long time and quality is poor.
    >
    > I bought a Tamron Fotovix TF60WU. The concept is
    > right, the zoom is adequate, but the video output
    > resolution is woefully insufficient.
    >
    > What's a cheap, like zero is cheap, method to get
    > digital images of tiny stuff? I have a 2MP camera,
    > Kodak DC280,
    > I could dedicate to the project, but the darn lens
    > moves in and out. Can't figure out how I can hook anything
    > to it. I'm gonna need at least one more lens to get
    > close enough focus.
    >
    > I have a stereo inspection microscope that could do the
    > job, but again, can't figure out how to get the
    > camera attached to it with the moving lens assembly.
    >
    > Experimented with a flatbed scanner with extremely poor results.
    >
    > I have a large amount of fiche, so it's impractical to
    > convert it before I need it. Whatever I do won't be used
    > much, if ever, so needs to be cheap.

    The film is narrower than 35mm. half an inch would be even less than
    16mm so theoretically you could run two fiches side by side through a
    continuous slide scanner like the PrimeFilm 1800
    <http://www.scanace.com/en/product/product.php>
    Setting the scan to monochrome should speed things up a bit.
    I have scanned 16mm and 110 film with the PrimeFilm and although it
    needed work with cropping and rotation, it did do a pretty good job.
    Sharpening would probably be necessary too.

    Most of the fiches are text and diagrams, I guess?

    Stewy, Sep 25, 2006
  4. mike

    Paul Rubin Guest

    mike <> writes:
    > I have a large amount of fiche, so it's impractical to
    > convert it before I need it. Whatever I do won't be used
    > much, if ever, so needs to be cheap.

    Try reversing a junky old 35mm SLR camera lens (10-20 bucks or so on
    ebay depending) in front of your DC280 lens, to use as a close-up
    magnifier. You may need some kind of adapter to mount accessories
    (filters) on the camera. Check if one is available. You'll also need
    a reversing ring, around 5 bucks at camera-filters.com. Use a
    mid-wideangle lens like a 28mm, make sure you have some way to keep
    the aperture wide open, maybe by putting a blob of glue on it (since
    you're not going to mount it on an SLR anyway).

    I will guess that the DC280's zoom is around 7-15mm (they do the thing
    of stating it as "30-60" as if it were a 35mm film camera, instead of
    giving the actual focal length). You want to zoom it out to full
    telephoto which I'll assume is 15mm. Putting a 28mm lens in front of
    it should put the infinity focus at 28mm and thus give you around 1:2
    magnification at the sensor, if I got that right. The sensor should
    be about 5x7 mm, so that means 14mm of microfiche will fill the frame.
    If that's not enough magnification, you might look for a digicam with
    a longer zoom.

    If you have a cheap 10x magnifying loupe you could try shooting
    through that to see what the effect is like, but the quality will be
    lousy compared with using a camera lens.

    Paul Rubin, Sep 28, 2006