    will not change in the immediate future. Various webmail (such as
    Horde) often can not delete the messages.

    Thanks?
    mhagen, Apr 21, 2007

  2. mhagen

    Guest

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:42:32 -0700, mhagen <>
    wrote:

    >Is there any way to do this in T-Bird. I'm constantly getting mails
    >that are far too slow to load and would like to be able to delete them
    >before wasting hours on them to arrive. The world seems to think
    >everybody has high speed... This is slow dial up country here and that
    >will not change in the immediate future. Various webmail (such as
    >Horde) often can not delete the messages.
    >
    >Thanks?

    I use Mailwasher Pro. I think they have a freeware version also. No
    sure if they still do.

    http://www.mailwasher.com/
    --
    Buster V. Davenport
    Toledo, OH

  3. mhagen

    Guest

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:20:37 GMT, am wrote:

    >I use Mailwasher Pro. I think they have a freeware version also. No
    >sure if they still do.
    >
    >http://www.mailwasher.com/

    Thay have a free trial.
    --
    Buster V. Davenport
    Toledo, OH
  4. mhagen

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    am says...
    > On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:20:37 GMT, am wrote:

    > >I use Mailwasher Pro. I think they have a freeware version also. No
    > >sure if they still do.
    > >
    > >http://www.mailwasher.com/

    > Thay have a free trial.

    Magic Mail Monitor allows you to preview/delete/reply to/send mail
    directly via the server, and it's free. I've been using it for several
    years in combination with T-bird, and have been very satisfied with it.
    I review the subject lines/senders of all emails in MMM before
    downloading them to T-bird, and delete a ton of spam directly off the
    server before it ever sees my local inbox. MMM also consumes very little
    in terms of system resources.

    http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

    Dave
    Dave Garrett, Apr 21, 2007
  5. mhagen

    bassbag Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Is there any way to do this in T-Bird. I'm constantly getting mails
    > that are far too slow to load and would like to be able to delete them
    > before wasting hours on them to arrive. The world seems to think
    > everybody has high speed... This is slow dial up country here and that
    > will not change in the immediate future. Various webmail (such as
    > Horde) often can not delete the messages.
    >
    > Thanks?

    I dont belive thunderbird can do this however,poptray ,or MMM( as
    suggested )can do this
    me
    bassbag, Apr 21, 2007
  6. mhagen

    wrote:

    >Is there any way to do this in T-Bird. I'm constantly getting mails
    >that are far too slow to load and would like to be able to delete them
    >before wasting hours on them to arrive. The world seems to think
    >everybody has high speed... This is slow dial up country here and that
    >will not change in the immediate future. Various webmail (such as
    >Horde) often can not delete the messages.
    >
    >Thanks?

    I use something called MailCall. This is freeware published by PC
    Magazine in 1999. I'm running v1.1- there is a version 2 out there
    but I prefer 1.

    MailCall sits in the tray and checks your mail at whatever interval
    you set. When new mail is present, it can either highlight the tray
    icon or change the icon to the number of new messages.

    In addition, you can read- "preview" the message before downloading,
    and delete the ones you don't want.

    A quick Google makes me think that MC 1.1 might be hard to find. If
    so, I could email a copy if necessary.

    , Apr 21, 2007
  7. mhagen

    dillinger Guest

    mhagen wrote:
    > Is there any way to do this in T-Bird. I'm constantly getting mails
    > that are far too slow to load and would like to be able to delete them
    > before wasting hours on them to arrive. The world seems to think
    > everybody has high speed... This is slow dial up country here and that
    > will not change in the immediate future. Various webmail (such as
    > Horde) often can not delete the messages.
    >
    > Thanks?

    Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings > Fetch headers only.

    Michel.
    dillinger, Apr 21, 2007
  8. mhagen

    mhagen Guest

    Dave Garrett wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > am says...
    >> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:20:37 GMT, am wrote:

    >>> I use Mailwasher Pro. I think they have a freeware version also. No
    >>> sure if they still do.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.mailwasher.com/

    >> Thay have a free trial.

    > Magic Mail Monitor allows you to preview/delete/reply to/send mail
    > directly via the server, and it's free. I've been using it for several
    > years in combination with T-bird, and have been very satisfied with it.
    > I review the subject lines/senders of all emails in MMM before
    > downloading them to T-bird, and delete a ton of spam directly off the
    > server before it ever sees my local inbox. MMM also consumes very little
    > in terms of system resources.
    >
    > http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Dave

    Thanks all!!
    mhagen, Apr 23, 2007
  9. mhagen

    mhagen Guest

    dillinger wrote:
    > mhagen wrote:
    >> Is there any way to do this in T-Bird. I'm constantly getting mails
    >> that are far too slow to load and would like to be able to delete them
    >> before wasting hours on them to arrive. The world seems to think
    >> everybody has high speed... This is slow dial up country here and that
    >> will not change in the immediate future. Various webmail (such as
    >> Horde) often can not delete the messages.
    >>
    >> Thanks?

    > Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings > Fetch headers only.
    >
    > Michel.

    This works but requires that you connect twice and you are still stuck
    with the occasional big one. In my situation, it slows down everything
    till it finally downloads and that can take hours. As an improvement -
    how about a two stage operation? A button in the toolbar- Download
    headers first - then full messages. It would be great if somebody could
    write an extension to to what the above programs do!
    mhagen, Apr 23, 2007