    vacation?

    --
    Best -- Donna Richoux

    Donna Richoux, Mar 12, 2007

  2. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:10:12 -0500, Frosty wrote:
    >>How do I keep the uTorrent alive even when the WinXP screensaver goes on
    >>vacation?

    > Why do you run a screensaver?

    To save my screen.

    But why would a screensaver turn off the torrent download?

    Doesn't a screensaver JUST turn off the video display?

    --
    Best -- Donna Richoux

    Donna Richoux, Mar 12, 2007

  3. Donna Richoux

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:17:22 GMT, Donna Richoux <>
    wrote:

    >To save my screen.
    >
    >But why would a screensaver turn off the torrent download?
    >
    >Doesn't a screensaver JUST turn off the video display?

    Likely it's not the screensaver turning off the utorrent but the
    utorrent turning off because of the screensaver.

    Did you look in like Options or preference for something to do with
    screensavers or idle usage?

    Evan Platt, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Donna Richoux

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 10:20:35 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Donna
    Richoux <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

    >Every time my Windows XP goes on screensaver mode - my uTorrent downloads
    >halt even though the disks and the cpu were told to stay alive.
    >
    >If I turn off the screensaver, the uTorrent bittorrent downloads proceed.
    >
    >How do I keep the uTorrent alive even when the WinXP screensaver goes on
    >vacation?

    Why do you run a screensaver?

    Frosty, Mar 12, 2007
  5. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:57:24 -0500, Frosty wrote:
    >>> Why do you run a screensaver?

    >>To save my screen.

    > But what exactly are you trying to save your screen from?

    I guess it's "burn in" but the screensaver also acts as a login preventer
    to keep others from logging in while I am away.

    Isn't that the whole point of a screensaver?

    I still want to prevent burn in and unauthorized use when I'm away longer
    than I expected - yet I still want the uTorrent downloads to proceed
    normally (hence I kept the disks and cpu running in the power-save
    options).

    Does YOUR screensaver cause uTorrent to stop downloading & uploading?
    Or is it just mine?

    --
    Best -- Donna Richoux

    Donna Richoux, Mar 12, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    says...

    > Every time my Windows XP goes on screensaver mode - my uTorrent downloads
    > halt even though the disks and the cpu were told to stay alive.
    >
    > If I turn off the screensaver, the uTorrent bittorrent downloads proceed.
    >
    > How do I keep the uTorrent alive even when the WinXP screensaver goes on
    > vacation?

    Maybe setting the option 'Prevent stand-by if there are active
    torrents' on Preferences -> Downloads will help.

    Gert van der Kooij, Mar 12, 2007
  7. On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:31:57 +0100, Gert van der Kooij wrote:
    >> How do I keep the uTorrent alive even when the WinXP screensaver goes on
    >> vacation?

    > Maybe setting the option 'Prevent stand-by if there are active
    > torrents' on Preferences -> Downloads will help.

    I should have mentioned that this option was already set.

    I suspect what I "think" is a WinXP screensaver is doing MORE than just
    saving the screen. Either that or the quiescent activity might be turning
    off my ISP connection at the NAT router.

    Do you think that's a possibility?

    --
    Best -- Donna Richoux

    Donna Richoux, Mar 12, 2007
  8. Donna Richoux

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:17:22 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Donna
    but instead wrote :

    >On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:10:12 -0500, Frosty wrote:
    >>>How do I keep the uTorrent alive even when the WinXP screensaver goes on
    >>>vacation?

    >> Why do you run a screensaver?

    >To save my screen.

    Yeah, hence the name. But what exactly are you trying to save your
    screen from?

    Frosty, Mar 12, 2007
  9. Donna Richoux

    John Holmes Guest

    Donna Richoux "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I suspect what I "think"

    Get a functional brain first, you fucking mad cow.

    --
    Your mother was a pitiful broccoli who worshipped cheese spread in the
    boiler of a disused steam locomotive.

    John Holmes, Mar 12, 2007
  10. Donna Richoux

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:31:11 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Donna
    > Richoux <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    > but instead wrote :

    >>> But what exactly are you trying to save your screen from?

    >>I guess it's "burn in" but the screensaver also acts as a login preventer
    >>to keep others from logging in while I am away.

    > Yeah, that's what they were originally used for, but they are no
    > longer needed.
    > (Some smart computer person will maybe chime in and tell us both
    > exactly why that is?)

    Not entirely true. Color CRTs are still subject to damage, but it's much
    less than the old monochrome models.

    See the section under "Problems":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display

    WhzzKdd, Mar 13, 2007
  11. Donna Richoux

    Frosty Guest

    but instead wrote :

    >>>To save my screen.

    >> But what exactly are you trying to save your screen from?

    >I guess it's "burn in" but the screensaver also acts as a login preventer
    >to keep others from logging in while I am away.

    Yeah, that's what they were originally used for, but they are no
    longer needed.
    (Some smart computer person will maybe chime in and tell us both
    exactly why that is?)

    >Isn't that the whole point of a screensaver?
    >
    >I still want to prevent burn in and unauthorized use when I'm away longer
    >than I expected - yet I still want the uTorrent downloads to proceed
    >normally (hence I kept the disks and cpu running in the power-save
    >options).
    >
    >Does YOUR screensaver cause uTorrent to stop downloading & uploading?
    >Or is it just mine?

    I don't use a screen saver and never have.
    Oh & I also don't use uTorrent.
    But if I did I'd not have to worry about it because screensavers are
    unecessary and if I didn't want folks messin' with my PC while I was
    away, I'd hang with better folks.

    Frosty, Mar 13, 2007
  12. Donna Richoux

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:13:06 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    > intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >
    >>"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:31:11 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Donna
    >>> Richoux <>, intended to write something intelligible,

    >>> Yeah, that's what they were originally used for, but they are no
    >>> longer needed.
    >>> (Some smart computer person will maybe chime in and tell us both
    >>> exactly why that is?)

    >>Not entirely true. Color CRTs are still subject to damage, but it's much
    >>less than the old monochrome models.
    >>
    >>See the section under "Problems":
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display

    > Well shet ma mouf, Charlotte!
    > So since I've got one o' then thar LCD screens, where can I get a
    > program(?) that flashes like they describe? Maybe I should do a HTML
    > thing? Somebody gimme the code how 'bout?

    Dunno. I always figured prevention is the best medicine. Kinda like a
    condom. For the 19" LCD. Boy, is THAT a big prophylactic <g>. I have my LCD
    monitor set to go asleep after 5 minutes. Plus I power it off completely
    when I'm not home. The PC stays on, since I have a PVR setup running.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 13, 2007
  13. Donna Richoux

    Frosty Guest

    Frosty, Mar 13, 2007
  14. Donna Richoux

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:06:08 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:13:06 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    >> intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >>
    >>>"Frosty" <> wrote in message

    >>>Not entirely true. Color CRTs are still subject to damage, but it's much
    >>>less than the old monochrome models.
    >>>
    >>>See the section under "Problems":
    >>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display

    >> Well shet ma mouf, Charlotte!
    >> So since I've got one o' then thar LCD screens, where can I get a
    >> program(?) that flashes like they describe? Maybe I should do a HTML
    >> thing? Somebody gimme the code how 'bout?
    >>>

    >Dunno. I always figured prevention is the best medicine. Kinda like a
    >condom. For the 19" LCD. Boy, is THAT a big prophylactic <g>. I have my LCD
    >monitor set to go asleep after 5 minutes. Plus I power it off completely
    >when I'm not home. The PC stays on, since I have a PVR setup running.

    I do the same, (turn it off) when I'm not using it but have no screen
    saving nuthin's.
    I've not a clue what PVR is. Is that some kinda cheese making program?

    Frosty, Mar 13, 2007
  15. Donna Richoux

    Peter Gordon Guest

    Donna Richoux <> wrote in

    > Does YOUR screensaver cause uTorrent to stop downloading & uploading?
    > Or is it just mine?

    I use uTorrent & a screensaver on Win XP and don't have any problems.

    --
    Peter Gordon

    Peter Gordon, Mar 13, 2007
  16. Donna Richoux

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:06:08 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid>, intended to write something
    > intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >

    >>"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:13:06 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >>> Well shet ma mouf, Charlotte!
    >>> So since I've got one o' then thar LCD screens, where can I get a
    >>> program(?) that flashes like they describe? Maybe I should do a HTML
    >>> thing? Somebody gimme the code how 'bout?
    >>>>

    >>Dunno. I always figured prevention is the best medicine. Kinda like a
    >>condom. For the 19" LCD. Boy, is THAT a big prophylactic <g>. I have my
    >>LCD
    >>monitor set to go asleep after 5 minutes. Plus I power it off completely
    >>when I'm not home. The PC stays on, since I have a PVR setup running.

    > I do the same, (turn it off) when I'm not using it but have no screen
    > saving nuthin's.
    > I've not a clue what PVR is. Is that some kinda cheese making program?

    Ummm...cheese! Yummy!

    No, actually, it's a "personal video recorder". Like a DVR, but being in a
    PC, it gets it's own 'nym <g>

    WhzzKdd, Mar 13, 2007
  17. "Peter Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Donna Richoux <> wrote in
    >

    >> Does YOUR screensaver cause uTorrent to stop downloading & uploading?
    >> Or is it just mine?
    >>

    > I use uTorrent & a screensaver on Win XP and don't have any problems.

    Does your screen saver lock your console (for security)?
    If not, then the screen saver is not needed. Just turn it off.

    Immure Obfuscation, Mar 14, 2007
  18. Donna Richoux

    Craig Guest

    Immure Obfuscation wrote:
    > "Peter Gordon" <> wrote:
    >> Donna Richoux <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does YOUR screensaver cause uTorrent to stop downloading & uploading?
    >>> Or is it just mine?
    >>>

    >> I use uTorrent & a screensaver on Win XP and don't have any problems.

    > Does your screen saver lock your console (for security)?
    > If not, then the screen saver is not needed. Just turn it off.

    I haven't followed this thread all the way through but, Donna, have you
    checked your computer's Power Options, found in the Control Panel? We
    have some Win2k's and XP's that have their drives set to power down
    after x minutes of keyboard/mouse idle.

    hth,
    -Craig

    Craig, Mar 14, 2007