How To Prevent Size Of Fonts In E-Mail From Being Affected By Browser

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Mar 11, 2009.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I use OE 6 SP2 on XP Pro SP2. My browser is IE 7.

    When composing Mail (and News), my font is Arial 12. I find that anything
    smaller is somewhat difficult to read *on my monitor*.

    When I print my e-mails, I choose "Size - Smallest" on my browser to keep
    the print as small as possible *on paper*.

    On occasion, my browser is inadvertently at "Size - Largest", thus causing
    the font in my e-mail to become relatively huge when printed.

    My concern is that, when a recipient of my e-mail prints it, if his/her
    browser is set at "Size - Largest", the printed font will be so large as to
    look unprofessional.

    Is there any way that I can enable my e-mail client so that I can continue
    to use Arial 12 when composing, but the font, when printed by a recipient,
    will not be larger than "Size - Medium at most?

    Thank you.

    Martin
    Martin, Mar 11, 2009

  2. In OE - Tools/Options/Read/Fonts : set to Windows ISO, click 'set as
    default'.

    Centre Parting, Mar 11, 2009

  3. Martin

    PeeCee Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I use OE 6 SP2 on XP Pro SP2. My browser is IE 7.
    >
    > When composing Mail (and News), my font is Arial 12. I find that anything
    > smaller is somewhat difficult to read *on my monitor*.
    >
    > When I print my e-mails, I choose "Size - Smallest" on my browser to keep
    > the print as small as possible *on paper*.
    >
    > On occasion, my browser is inadvertently at "Size - Largest", thus causing
    > the font in my e-mail to become relatively huge when printed.
    >
    > My concern is that, when a recipient of my e-mail prints it, if his/her
    > browser is set at "Size - Largest", the printed font will be so large as
    > look unprofessional.
    >
    > Is there any way that I can enable my e-mail client so that I can continue
    > to use Arial 12 when composing, but the font, when printed by a recipient,
    > will not be larger than "Size - Medium at most?
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Martin

    Martin

    1
    Having problems seeing the connection between your Browser (IE7) settings
    and printing emails from "OE"
    AFAIK the two are completely independent of one another.

    2
    Gotta ask, why print the emails.
    Read them on screen and save a forest.

    3
    The settings in your email client will not affect the font size of your
    recipients email client unless you send emails in rich text or HTML format.
    Even then the size it prints out is under 'their' control not yours.

    4
    If you emails need to have a 'profesional' appearance then compose them in a
    word processor and save them as a pdf and attach them to an email.
    That way you have total control over how they appear to the recipient.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Mar 11, 2009
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Good morning to you in the U.K.!

    I don't have "Windows ISO" as an option.

    This is what I currently have:
    Font Setting: Western European
    Fixed-Width Font: Courier New
    Font Size: Larger
    Encoding: [I have a choice of Latin 9 (ISO), US - ASCII, Western European
    (ISO), and Western European (Windows)].

    Which of the above, if any, is the equivalent of Windows ISO?

    Further, will the new setting prevent those, who receive my e-mailed
    replies, from printing them with relatively large fonts, even if their
    browser is at Size - Largest?
    (I want them to print my replies with small or smallest font.)

    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I look forward to your reply to this
    post.

    Martin

    "Centre Parting" <> wrote in message
    : In OE - Tools/Options/Read/Fonts : set to Windows ISO, click 'set as
    : default'.
    :
    : Martin wrote:
    : > Hello,
    : >
    Martin, Mar 11, 2009
  5. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Martin wrote:
    > I use OE 6 SP2 on XP Pro SP2. My browser is IE 7.
    >
    > When composing Mail (and News), my font is Arial 12. I find that
    > anything smaller is somewhat difficult to read *on my monitor*.

    That should be a lesson to you that everyone is very very different from
    each other -- it should also be a lesson that you should not assume that
    your behaviors or choices are going to be very very different, from say,
    mine.

    > When I print my e-mails, I choose "Size - Smallest" on my browser to
    > keep the print as small as possible *on paper*.

    Good for you (except for the 'browser' part). What does that have to do
    with some other recipient? I virtually never ever ever ever print an
    email as an email. Even if I were to print something which I received in
    an email, I would want to completely reformat it to my own taste, not the
    tastes of the person who happened to have sent it to me.

    > My concern is that, when a recipient of my e-mail prints it, if his/her
    > browser is set at "Size - Largest", the printed font will be so large
    > as to look unprofessional.

    Don't concern yourself about such thoughts. I am highly doubtful that any
    recipient is going to be asking you what to do about printing your emails.

    > Is there any way that I can enable my e-mail client so that I can
    > continue to use Arial 12 when composing, but the font, when printed by
    > a recipient, will not be larger than "Size - Medium at most?

    There are ways to send things to recipients so that you have control of
    the result of how it would be printed; but in the context of what you are
    talking about, your personal font choices for reading things on your
    screen and your personal choices about printing email; you don't really
    want to do that to/for someone else. The result is that you are asking a
    misguided question that doesn't deserve a real answer as asked.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 11, 2009
  6. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Martin wrote:
    >> I use OE 6 SP2 on XP Pro SP2. My browser is IE 7.
    >>
    >> When composing Mail (and News), my font is Arial 12. I find that
    >> anything smaller is somewhat difficult to read *on my monitor*.

    > That should be a lesson to you that everyone is very very different from
    > each other

    > -- it should also be a lesson that you should not assume that
    > your behaviors or choices are going to be very very different, from say,
    > mine.

    Oops. That part just above got bent. It should say that 'you should not
    assume that your behaviors or choices are going to be the same as
    others,' -- ie that your behaviors or choices are going to be very very
    different from others; mine, for example.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 11, 2009
  7. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I want to thank everyone who took the time to offer constructive replies to
    my post.

    Martin
    Martin, Mar 16, 2009