    Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Benito Kamela, May 27, 2004

  2. Benito Kamela

    Jerry G. Guest

    I have the answer, but the return address is screwing things up here. If you
    want answers, use a real address or something that there is a way to send
    you the information.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "Benito Kamela" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
    stuff?
    I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
    Jerry G., May 27, 2004

  3. Benito Kamela

    nolly Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > I have the answer, but the return address is screwing things up here. If

    you
    > want answers, use a real address or something that there is a way to send
    > you the information.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.
    > =====

    Why don't you post the answer to the group, then other people may benefit
    from the information (isn't that what newsgroups are all about?)

    cheers,
    nolly
    nolly, May 27, 2004
  4. nolly wrote:

    > "Jerry G." <> wrote in message

    >> I have the answer, but the return address is screwing things up here.
    >> If you want answers, use a real address or something that there is a
    >> way to send you the information.

    > Why don't you post the answer to the group, then other people may
    > benefit from the information (isn't that what newsgroups are all
    > about?)

    Sounds like he's selling something.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
    Blinky the Shark, May 27, 2004
  5. Benito Kamela

    one_red_eye Guest

    "Benito Kamela" <>
    wrote in message news:...
    > Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
    > stuff?
    > I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
    > Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks

    ZoneAlarm Pro seems to have that function. (blocks downloading)
    My mom has it on her computer and I've found it to particularily annoying.
    (can't download without the password)

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.
    one_red_eye, May 27, 2004
  6. Benito Kamela

    Plato Guest

    Benito Kamela wrote:

    > I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
    > Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.

    Tell them the rules are that they dont download anything. If they dont
    listen to you, employ sanctions ie dont let them on the Internet for a
    month.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 27, 2004
  7. Benito Kamela

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:57:16 +0100, in
    <c94ag0$6a6$>
    nolly scrawled:

    >> "Benito Kamela" <>
    >> wrote in message news:...
    >> Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
    >> stuff?
    >> I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
    >> Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> Thanks

    >"Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >> I have the answer, but the return address is screwing things up here. If

    >you
    >> want answers, use a real address or something that there is a way to send
    >> you the information.
    >>

    >Why don't you post the answer to the group, then other people may benefit
    >from the information (isn't that what newsgroups are all about?)
    >
    >cheers,
    >nolly

    Because Jerry G is a no brainer, who is scared of having
    his "advice" scrutinised.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 27, 2004
  8. Benito Kamela

    °Mike° Guest

    Don't talk rubbish; replies belong in the newsgroup.
    If you want personal correspondence, create your
    own mailing list -- oh, wait, is that what your are
    using newsgroups for... collecting email addresses?

    Beware this idiot, people.

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 04:28:48 -0400, in
    <c949f3$s4o$>
    Jerry G. scrawled:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, May 27, 2004
  9. Benito Kamela

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes, it's called supervision.

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 06:23:04 GMT, in
    <>
    Benito Kamela scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 27, 2004
  10. Benito Kamela

    Martik Guest

    > Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
    > stuff?
    > I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
    > Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.

    In IE: select Tools, Internet Options, Security, Internet, Custom Level,
    File download - Disable

    Remove Kazaa and any FTP programs from your system.

    If you are using XP, setup a limited account for the kids and an admin
    account with password for yourself.

    Do not let them use OE for mail

    There is more but this should block most of it.
    Martik, May 27, 2004
  11. Benito Kamela

    Patty Guest

    Use a PASSWORD!
    DUH!

    Patty, May 27, 2004
  12. Thanks for your advice and opinions, everybody, I used the "kids" as an
    example, I'm talking about a terminal, in a public place that can be
    used by anyone, for a fee, but I don't want them to download, for
    example, stupid games etc. that could damage the system or at least
    overload the HD. Using an Antivirus and a Firewall is a must but those
    won't stop downloads.
    Thanks!
    BTW, Jerry G, did you actuall sent an email to me at
    ???
    :)

    Benito Kamela

    Benito Kamela, May 29, 2004