    and duplications. Is there another way to preserve the original EXIF
    data when you edit a photo? Thanks for info.

    , Aug 19, 2007

  2. Trev Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
    > notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
    > cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
    > the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
    > disappear. I know a way to avoid this, which is to use "save as"
    > feature and rename the files. However, this will end up extra space
    > and duplications. Is there another way to preserve the original EXIF
    > data when you edit a photo? Thanks for info.

    It all depends on the software your using. Older PSP for instance (psp8) did
    not save all the exif But current versions have no trouble Providing you ask
    it to save exif in the options. I would check that you are using similar
    options in your editor

    Trev, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Dave Guest

    >I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
    > notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
    > cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
    > the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
    > disappear. I know a way to avoid this, which is to use "save as"
    > feature and rename the files. However, this will end up extra space
    > and duplications. Is there another way to preserve the original EXIF
    > data when you edit a photo? Thanks for info.

    Just save the original and always work on the copy.

    DAVE
    Bristol Uk
    http://djmp.co.uk/slr/

    Dave, Aug 19, 2007
  4. On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, wrote:

    > I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
    > notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
    > cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
    > the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
    > disappear.

    Sounds like your editing software is seriously broken.

    What you can do to ameliorate this brokenness is take a copy, edit, then
    use jhead to copy the original exif data from the original to the new
    photo. Then you can delete the original if you feel so inclined.

    Jhead can be found at http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

    --
    Alan

    ( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
    However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
    through. )

    Alan Clifford, Aug 19, 2007
  5. Dave Cohen Guest

    Alan Clifford wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, wrote:
    >
    >> I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
    >> notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
    >> cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
    >> the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
    >> disappear.

    > Sounds like your editing software is seriously broken.
    >
    > What you can do to ameliorate this brokenness is take a copy, edit, then
    > use jhead to copy the original exif data from the original to the new
    > photo. Then you can delete the original if you feel so inclined.
    >
    > Jhead can be found at http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

    I use FastStone for 90% of my edits. I use save as and exif data is
    preserved. For the those that I edit in PhotoPlus, the file save is an
    export and exif data is lost.
    The free Exifer download will permit save and import of thumbnail and
    exif data. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have a batch mode.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 20, 2007
  6. <> wrote in message
    >I need help in preserving original EXIF data of the JPEG files. I
    > notice that when I edit the photos (red eye correction, contrast,
    > cropping, etc.), and update the original files, the orginal data of
    > the photo (when they were taken, camera info, exposure data, etc) will
    > disappear.

    "Exifer" does this. EXIF data can then be amended to a copied jpeg if the
    photo editing application hasn't done a proper job.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Aug 20, 2007