    Would this work? If it would, what directory(s) would I need to copy? Is
    there a better way to save the trouble of tracking down these old drivers?
    TIA -- WC

    WCH, Jan 8, 2004

  2. WCH

    anthonyberet Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I'm trying to help a friend to a fresh installation of Windows 98SE
    > (he wants to do it, I agreed to help). I'd like not to have to go
    > track down drivers for his cards once we've nuked his HD. I've
    > written down the details on all his cards (from Device Manager) but
    > want to know if I can copy some Windows directory which I could burn
    > onto a CD and then access once the fresh installation is running to
    > reacquire the needed drivers. Would this work? If it would, what
    > directory(s) would I need to copy? Is there a better way to save the
    > trouble of tracking down these old drivers? TIA -- WC

    I can't answer your question directly, but do make sure you get the drivers
    for the video card and modem before you erase the hard-drive!
    -At least then you can go hunting for the others.
    --
    You can't email me at the moment.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:

    anthonyberet, Jan 8, 2004

  3. WCH

    ICee Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I'm trying to help a friend to a fresh installation of Windows 98SE
    > (he wants to do it, I agreed to help). I'd like not to have to go
    > track down drivers for his cards once we've nuked his HD. I've
    > written down the details on all his cards (from Device Manager) but
    > want to know if I can copy some Windows directory which I could burn
    > onto a CD and then access once the fresh installation is running to
    > reacquire the needed drivers. Would this work? If it would, what
    > directory(s) would I need to copy? Is there a better way to save the
    > trouble of tracking down these old drivers? TIA -- WC

    No, you have to have the drivers available and install them. Before you
    "nuke" his system, run Aida32:
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
    It will identify the hardware and gives links to where you can download
    the drivers. Collect all of them, burn to CD and have them handy for
    the reinstall.
    It's best to format the drive, install OS, then chipset drivers for the
    motherboard, then video card drivers, then sound, modem, etc.

    Douglas Adams

    ICee, Jan 8, 2004
  4. WCH

    SgtMinor Guest

    You don't need to format ( = nuke? ) to reinstall the OS. What big
    problems is your friend experiencing?

    WCH wrote:

    > I'm trying to help a friend to a fresh installation of Windows 98SE (he
    > wants to do it, I agreed to help).

    You sound like Doctor Kevorkian,(whom I sympathized with, BTW).

    SgtMinor, Jan 8, 2004
  5. WinDriver Ghost provides you the easy and fast detection, backup and restore
    of the entire hardware device drivers currently on your system. With it, you
    can even find the latest drivers for your hardware and install them onto
    your computer. Just one or two mouse button clicks, you will have all your
    hardware devices extracted and backuped to any folder you want. When you
    reinstall or upgrade your system, you can restore them by clicking a button,
    after reboot once, all the drivers will be installed and will function well.
    Also you may choose to backup a certain driver or the entire drivers to an
    EXE automatic installer. If you have a hardware that is troublesome, just
    remove it with the software.

    handy program

    NorthernPirate, Jan 8, 2004
  6. WCH

    SgtMinor Guest

    NorthernPirate wrote:

    > WinDriver Ghost provides you the easy and fast detection, backup and restore
    > of the entire hardware device drivers currently on your system. With it, you
    > can even find the latest drivers for your hardware and install them onto
    > your computer. Just one or two mouse button clicks, you will have all your
    > hardware devices extracted and backuped to any folder you want. When you
    > reinstall or upgrade your system, you can restore them by clicking a button,
    > after reboot once, all the drivers will be installed and will function well.
    > Also you may choose to backup a certain driver or the entire drivers to an
    > EXE automatic installer. If you have a hardware that is troublesome, just
    > remove it with the software.
    >
    > handy program

    Well, dang, I'm convinced! But it was summoddaguy who had the
    problem...

    --
    "Can't get enough of them infomercials."

    SgtMinor, Jan 8, 2004
  7. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Great tip! Thanks. Did the full restore and it worked perfectly.
    Appreciate all the feedback.
    WC

    WCH, Jan 10, 2004