    same time so that the replies to the thread actually are posted on the
    forum.

    Is this possible?
    James, Feb 11, 2005

  2. James

    Vanguard Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How is it possible to set post to a forum and to post to a newsgroup a
    > the same time so that the replies to the thread actually are posted on
    > the forum.
    >
    > Is this possible?

    Contact the forum operator to see if they run a usenet gateway that
    copies posts in their forums into the newsgroups.

    Vanguard, Feb 11, 2005

  3. James

    James Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >> How is it possible to set post to a forum and to post to a newsgroup a
    >> the same time so that the replies to the thread actually are posted on
    >> the forum.
    >>
    >> Is this possible?

    > Contact the forum operator to see if they run a usenet gateway that copies
    > posts in their forums into the newsgroups.

    If that is the case, then does that mean that a post could them be here from
    say "my nice forum" and then anybody who replies to that post will
    automatically
    have it posted in that forum? Is that how it would work?

    James, Feb 11, 2005
  4. James

    Vanguard Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> "James" <> wrote in message
    >>> How is it possible to set post to a forum and to post to a newsgroup
    >>> a the same time so that the replies to the thread actually are
    >>> posted on the forum.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible?

    >> Contact the forum operator to see if they run a usenet gateway that
    >> copies posts in their forums into the newsgroups.

    > If that is the case, then does that mean that a post could them be
    > here from say "my nice forum" and then anybody who replies to that
    > post will automatically
    > have it posted in that forum? Is that how it would work?

    That is how the usenet gateway is supposed to work. So far, however,
    results have been mixed. The gateway is usually a hack, not something
    specifically designed and developed for the forum software. vBulletin
    is one that has a hack for a usenet gateway but it still doesn't post
    using valid NNTP headers and threading often gets screwed up (back in
    the forum where the usenet posts got copied). I am not familiar with
    using the usenet gateway because I don't post in forums where they want
    the Usenet to pollute the forum. However, it seems a one-way solution:
    the forum gets to post to Usenet and copies of posts get copied into the
    forum (for the newsgroups selected as appropriate for that forum). The
    Usenet doesn't give a damn about forums so it doesn't go yanking all the
    posts submitted in all the publicly open forums. The Usenet has enough
    traffic. The forums are trying to generate more traffic and widen their
    audience; otherwise, they end up with a limited audience and maybe a
    dead forum.

    Vanguard, Feb 11, 2005
  5. James

    James Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >>> "James" <> wrote in message

    I am not familiar with
    > using the usenet gateway because I don't post in forums where they want
    > the Usenet to pollute the forum.

    However, it seems a one-way solution:
    > the forum gets to post to Usenet and copies of posts get copied into the
    > forum (for the newsgroups selected as appropriate for that forum).

    Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get responded
    to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the example about "my
    super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my great post" then it
    automatically gets posted to usenet, but then would i be correct in assuming
    that only posts that reply to that post get posted back on the forum?
    James, Feb 11, 2005
  6. James

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: How to post to a forum and newsgroup simultaneously
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => James <= wrote:

    >Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get responded
    >to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the example about "my
    >super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my great post" then it
    >automatically gets posted to usenet, but then would i be correct in assuming
    >that only posts that reply to that post get posted back on the forum?

    What forum? What gateway?

    --

    -Graham

    Remove the snails to email
    G. Morgan, Feb 11, 2005
  7. James

    Vanguard Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> "James" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message

    > I am not familiar with
    >> using the usenet gateway because I don't post in forums where they
    >> want the Usenet to pollute the forum.

    > However, it seems a one-way solution:
    >> the forum gets to post to Usenet and copies of posts get copied into
    >> the forum (for the newsgroups selected as appropriate for that
    >> forum).

    > Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get
    > responded to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the
    > example about "my super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my
    > great post" then it automatically gets posted to usenet, but then
    > would i be correct in assuming that only posts that reply to that post
    > get posted back on the forum?

    It depends on the hack. From what I've been told, the forum user posts
    and it gets copied to the newsgroups. Any replies go back to the
    newsgroups. As to whether any newsgroups posts (that originated solely
    in Usenet) appear back in the forum, well, the depends if the hack was
    written to keep the selected newsgroup posts in sync with the forum or
    not. That's something you need to ask the forum moderators that use
    their hack for the usenet gateway.

    Vanguard, Feb 11, 2005
  8. James

    Vanguard Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > Subject: Re: How to post to a forum and newsgroup simultaneously
    > Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > => James <= wrote:
    >
    >>Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get
    >>responded
    >>to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the example about
    >>"my
    >>super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my great post" then it
    >>automatically gets posted to usenet, but then would i be correct in
    >>assuming
    >>that only posts that reply to that post get posted back on the forum?
    >>

    > What forum? What gateway?

    I ran across the usenet gateway in a post copied to Usenet from an
    Iamnotageek forum user. I noticed their NNTP headers were screwed up
    regarding the References header (their gateway wasn't making sure the
    originating post was getting submitted to their NNTP server before the
    reply post). I then checked what forum software they used which, as I
    recall, was vBulletin. I then went to vbulletin.org and did a search in
    their forums on "gateway" which came up with:

    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65152&highlight=gateway

    Later there was a post by a user from the forums at officekb.com which
    also uses a gateway to link their posts into Usenet. Both gateways add
    a signature onto the post to identify that it originated in a forum and
    was passed via the gateway. For the officekb.com forum user whose post
    got replicated into the microsoft.public.outlook.general newsgroup, the
    signature was:

    For the Iamnotageek forum user whose post got gateway'ed to Usenet,
    their signature was:

    --
    <username>
    ------------------------------------------------------------­------------

    So get ready for a whole other "flavor" of newbies invading Usenet.
    Forums aren't satisfied with the population size they draw so they want
    to make their community look larger by usurping the Usenet community.
    Their excuse is that it widens the audience for posts made in their
    forum so users stand a better chance of getting their questions
    answered.

    Forums users are about to get a rude awakening as to just how crude,
    irresponsible, and puerile can be Usenet folk. I certainly don't want
    Usenet invading the forums where I visit. Moderation which is continual
    has the effect of raising the level of professionalism by its
    participants. However, I also don't want the type of newbies intrinsic
    to forum users invading Usenet, either, because they don't have a
    concept of what is Usenet, and they probably won't have the thick
    skinned egos needed to weather the "wind" that blows often crudely in
    Usenet. These different type of communities might not really be a good
    match. Time will tell if each will be tolerant of the other.

    Vanguard, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Vanguard, <>, the dead set, rotten onion, and tub
    maker, guffed:

    > I ran across the usenet gateway

    Pity you didn't get run over and killed by a spurious 42-tonne Mack truck.
    Xinek the antagonist, Feb 11, 2005
  10. James

    James Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "James" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >>> "James" <> wrote in message

    >> I am not familiar with
    >>> using the usenet gateway because I don't post in forums where they want
    >>> the Usenet to pollute the forum.

    >> However, it seems a one-way solution:
    >>> the forum gets to post to Usenet and copies of posts get copied into the
    >>> forum (for the newsgroups selected as appropriate for that forum).

    >> Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get
    >> responded to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the example
    >> about "my super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my great post"
    >> then it automatically gets posted to usenet, but then would i be correct
    >> in assuming that only posts that reply to that post get posted back on
    >> the forum?
    >>

    > It depends on the hack. From what I've been told, the forum user posts
    > and it gets copied to the newsgroups. Any replies go back to the
    > newsgroups. As to whether any newsgroups posts (that originated solely in
    > Usenet) appear back in the forum, well, the depends if the hack was
    > written to keep the selected newsgroup posts in sync with the forum or
    > not. That's something you need to ask the forum moderators that use their
    > hack for the usenet gateway.

    Hi Vanguard
    That doesn't make sense. I understand what you were saying to begin with,
    that the motivation for the forums would be to have a "one way" operation so
    that their forum posts get posted into usenet, however, if those subsequent
    replies to those usenet posts don't get posted back into the forum then it
    defeats the object of what they are trying to achieve.

    I mean if only the forum posts ended up in usenet then it would not benefit
    the forum or the forum owners, therefore there must exist the mechanism so
    that usenet replies go back to that forum post. Like for example the message
    has the necessary email details in the headers to ensure that replies posted
    to it go to usenet and back to the forum. That is how I am thinking it must
    work, which would explain why you can see some usenet postings on some
    forums but not all. It would mean that only the replies that were given were
    posted on the forum and not all the other bits and pieces.

    I do agree with you that they might be in for a shock with all the different
    type of responses you can get via usenet.

    James, Feb 11, 2005
  11. James

    Vanguard Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> "James" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message

    >>> I am not familiar with
    >>>

    >>> However, it seems a one-way solution:
    >>>
    >>> Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get
    >>> responded to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the
    >>> example about "my super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my
    >>> great post" then it automatically gets posted to usenet, but then
    >>> would i be correct in assuming that only posts that reply to that
    >>> post get posted back on the forum?
    >>>

    >> It depends on the hack. From what I've been told, the forum user
    >> posts and it gets copied to the newsgroups. Any replies go back to
    >> the newsgroups. As to whether any newsgroups posts (that originated
    >> solely in Usenet) appear back in the forum, well, the depends if the
    >> hack was written to keep the selected newsgroup posts in sync with
    >> the forum or not. That's something you need to ask the forum
    >> moderators that use their hack for the usenet gateway.

    > Hi Vanguard
    > That doesn't make sense. I understand what you were saying to begin
    > with, that the motivation for the forums would be to have a "one way"
    > operation so that their forum posts get posted into usenet, however,
    > if those subsequent replies to those usenet posts don't get posted
    > back into the forum then it defeats the object of what they are trying
    > to achieve.
    >
    > I mean if only the forum posts ended up in usenet then it would not
    > benefit the forum or the forum owners, therefore there must exist the
    > mechanism so that usenet replies go back to that forum post. Like for
    > example the message has the necessary email details in the headers to
    > ensure that replies posted to it go to usenet and back to the forum.
    > That is how I am thinking it must work, which would explain why you
    > can see some usenet postings on some forums but not all. It would mean
    > that only the replies that were given were posted on the forum and not
    > all the other bits and pieces.
    >
    > I do agree with you that they might be in for a shock with all the
    > different type of responses you can get via usenet.

    Sorry, my bad. Hey, it was the middle of the night. The forum user
    posts. Their post goes to the forum and to the newsgroup(s). Replies
    in the forums may show up in the newsgroups; if they don't, newsgroup
    users won't understand the threads because messages are missing.
    Replies in the newsgroups DO go back to the forum. However, I haven't
    heard that all posts in the newsgroup(s) go back to the forum. So
    basically the forum post goes trawling for replies in the newsgroups to
    yank back any replies it snags from there.

    I'm not really interested in the usenet gateways from forums other than
    noticing some posts in the forums show up from them, so my research was
    very cursory and only consisted of a quick scan of the gateway hack
    mentioned in the link that I provided in my reply to Morgon in this
    thread and 2 forum users that had their posts showing up in newsgroups.
    You can go visit that link and ask those folks how their gateway works
    if you really want details on how it works.

    Vanguard, Feb 11, 2005
  12. James

    James Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry, my bad. Hey, it was the middle of the night. The forum user
    > posts. Their post goes to the forum and to the newsgroup(s). Replies in
    > the forums may show up in the newsgroups; if they don't, newsgroup users
    > won't understand the threads because messages are missing. Replies in the
    > newsgroups DO go back to the forum. However, I haven't heard that all
    > posts in the newsgroup(s) go back to the forum. So basically the forum
    > post goes trawling for replies in the newsgroups to yank back any replies
    > it snags from there.
    >
    > I'm not really interested in the usenet gateways from forums other than
    > noticing some posts in the forums show up from them, so my research was
    > very cursory and only consisted of a quick scan of the gateway hack
    > mentioned in the link that I provided in my reply to Morgon in this thread
    > and 2 forum users that had their posts showing up in newsgroups. You can
    > go visit that link and ask those folks how their gateway works if you
    > really want details on how it works.

    Thanks for your response Vanguard. I do tend to agree that they do not look
    good, and nobody realy would actually use a forum like that I don't think,
    unless it had only a few replies in it.

    James, Feb 12, 2005