How to place camera in bag, lens down or lens to side

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RW, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. RW

    RW Guest

    I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.
     
    RW, Nov 28, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RW

    Mark² Guest

    RW wrote:
    > I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    > placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    > the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    > bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    > weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.


    The salesman was talking out of his back-side, as the importance of this
    varies according to camera/lens design.
    The lens is, by far, the most pressure-sensitive in terms of banging (save
    for the LCD, which might be scratched or cracked).

    Are you talking about a DSLR...or a small point-and-shoot?
     
    Mark², Nov 28, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RW

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:26:02 -0500, RW wrote:

    > I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    > placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    > the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    > bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    > weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.


    I'd agree with the salesman if the bag was able to support the
    camera, so that the weight wouldn't be on the lens. The design of
    the lens probably also is a factor, and I wouldn't want to stand my
    Fuji P&S with its 10x zoom on its lens, as it's probably more
    fragile than most. Many modern lenses have abandoned rugged metal
    construction and gearing for nylon or other plastic materials, which
    are more easily damaged. For a camera with a large lens mounted,
    I'd rather have it supported horizontally, with moderately dense
    foam supporting the extended lens. If the lens is so large as to
    dwarf the camera, then the prime consideration should be to provide
    good support and protection for the lens, with the camera not being
    an afterthought, but of less concern than usual. In this case it
    might be better to store the camera in the bag without it being
    attached to the lens. A little less convenient, but safer. Or
    maybe store the camera with a small lens attached.
     
    ASAAR, Nov 28, 2005
    #3
  4. In article <>, RW
    <> wrote:

    > I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    > placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    > the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    > bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    > weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.


    People still use camera bags?
     
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 28, 2005
    #4
  5. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    news:271120051819493242%...
    > In article <>, RW
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    >> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    >> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    >> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    >> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

    >
    > People still use camera bags?


    Yes, camera bags. You remember them, don't you?
     
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 28, 2005
    #5
  6. RW

    irwell Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:19:49 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, RW
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    >> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    >> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    >> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    >> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

    >
    >People still use camera bags?


    Only us dorks.
     
    irwell, Nov 28, 2005
    #6
  7. On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:26:02 -0500, RW wrote:
    > I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    > placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    > the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    > bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    > weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.


    If it's a P&S -- where the lens retracts and/or is otherwise covered up, I'd
    place it in the bag in such a way that the LCD received the most protection.

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    Pueblo, Colorado | @ config.com | Jonesy | OS/2
    *** I killfile X-Trace: posting.google.com followups in this ng
     
    Allodoxaphobia, Nov 28, 2005
    #7
  8. RW

    Mark² Guest

    irwell wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:19:49 -0800, Randall Ainsworth
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, RW
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    >>> placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    >>> the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    >>> bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    >>> weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.

    >>
    >> People still use camera bags?

    >
    > Only us dorks.


    Then I'm a quintuple dork, since I have 5 camera bags, adn us them all.
     
    Mark², Nov 28, 2005
    #8
  9. RW

    cjcampbell Guest

    The salesman may have been thinking (if he WAS thinking) of the fact
    that heavy DSLR lenses have their own tripod mount. This is partly to
    help the camera balance better on the tripod, but it is also to keep
    the camera from supporting the full weight of a heavy lens. It is
    possible for the lens to wear the lens mount enough that it will always
    wiggle a little on the camera body. This was more common in the old
    days before modern SLR lens mounts, but it is still possible. There
    were some older cameras where it was possible for the lens to pull the
    mount right off.

    The thing is, if a lens is that heavy, it is also going to be big
    enough that it will rest on the floor of the camera bag along with the
    body, so there should not be any special strain there.

    I can think of one good reason NOT to rest the camera on the lens face
    down -- a severe bump could crack some quick-mount lens hoods or break
    the threads off of them, although it usually takes dropping the lens
    onto concrete to do that. But it seems that a holster type camera bag
    gives enough protection that it should not be a problem.

    Personally, I like LowePro's Street & Field series waistbelt, shoulder
    harness and lens cases with an AW holster in back. I find it convenient
    and easy on the old bod, but it looks geeky for sure. For travel
    storage I use a LowePro rolling camera case and pack the Street & Field
    gear. It looks enough like ordinary carry-on luggage that it does not
    attract undue attention. I scuffed it up some before using it the first
    time, too. The empty lens cases in my luggage are great for stowing
    socks and underwear.
     
    cjcampbell, Nov 28, 2005
    #9
  10. In article <HYtif.29753$>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    <> wrote:

    > Yes, camera bags. You remember them, don't you?


    Oh yeah...those things where all of your expensive camera stuff bangs
    around into each other. And they're so convenient when you're out in
    the field. You have to find a place to set the bag down, then rummage
    around inside to find the gizmo you're looking for.

    Sorry, haven't used 'em in years.
     
    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 28, 2005
    #10
  11. RW

    Mark² Guest

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <HYtif.29753$>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, camera bags. You remember them, don't you?

    >
    > Oh yeah...those things where all of your expensive camera stuff bangs
    > around into each other. And they're so convenient when you're out in
    > the field. You have to find a place to set the bag down, then rummage
    > around inside to find the gizmo you're looking for.
    >
    > Sorry, haven't used 'em in years.


    Then you are VERY out of touch with what is available, Randall.

    Check out the LowePro Orion AW.

    --Nothing bangs together because the padded separators are completely
    customizable and extremely high-quality as padded protection.

    --You don't have to set it down, because it's a belt/hip pack that opens
    easily from the top...meaning you can use both hands to access all gear
    while standing/wearing it.

    --Full rain protection is available with the built-in rain cover that zips
    out of the bottom (still no need to set it down or take it off).

    My Orion (amazingly) holds the following in my always-with-me kit:

    10D with battery-grip and strap.
    550 EX flash
    24-105 f4 IS L -or-24-70 2.8 IS mounted (with lens hood)
    70-200 2.8 IS L (fits upright)
    1.4x tele-extender
    16-35 2.8 L
    Lumiquest pocket bouncer kit with three different inserts
    (gold/silver/white)
    8 extra AA batteries
    2-4 extra 10D batteries
    Timer remote shutter release
    Bubble level
    Small (but sturdy) Bogen/Manfrotto table pod with ball head
    Epson P-2000 portable storage device
    CF card case (holds 4 cards)
    Blower brush
    My trusty cheapie shower cap (for body in rain)
    Other misc. odds adn ends.

    Other configurations go into it when my intentions dictate (macro, low
    light, etc.).

    Oh...and it comes with a small back-pack shoulder attachment...which is
    great for other stuff (like food, jacket, etc.)...though I rarely need to
    use it.

    Check it out here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ap2ze
    -And then re-join the happy world of those who safely, effectively and
    conveniently carry what they need in a fantastically designed/built camera
    bag.
    -Mark
     
    Mark², Nov 28, 2005
    #11
  12. RW

    Sheldon Guest

    "RW" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I was in a camera store the other day trying out camera bags and
    > placed my digital camera in the bag the same way as always, lens to
    > the side, base down. The salesman said no no, always place it in the
    > bag lens down, LCD up, its better for the camera. Seems like all the
    > weight on the lens would be worse for the camera. Opinions? Thanks.


    Okay, I think what's going on here has to do with DSLR's and dust. My
    camera backpack supports the camera body lens down, without putting all the
    weight on the lens. This may be to allow gravity to keep dust from settling
    on the image sensor. If your camera does not have interchangeable lenses I
    doubt it makes any difference how you put the camera in there, but I think
    you are right about putting the weight of the camera body on the lens.
     
    Sheldon, Nov 28, 2005
    #12
  13. RW

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:28:27 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> paused to regain his breath, and then wrote:

    > My Orion (amazingly) holds the following in my always-with-me kit:
    >
    > 10D with battery-grip and strap.
    > 550 EX flash
    > 24-105 f4 IS L -or-24-70 2.8 IS mounted (with lens hood)
    > 70-200 2.8 IS L (fits upright)
    > 1.4x tele-extender
    > 16-35 2.8 L
    > Lumiquest pocket bouncer kit with three different inserts
    > (gold/silver/white)
    > 8 extra AA batteries
    > 2-4 extra 10D batteries
    > Timer remote shutter release
    > Bubble level
    > Small (but sturdy) Bogen/Manfrotto table pod with ball head
    > Epson P-2000 portable storage device
    > CF card case (holds 4 cards)
    > Blower brush
    > My trusty cheapie shower cap (for body in rain)
    > Other misc. odds adn ends.
    >
    > Other configurations go into it when my intentions dictate (macro, low
    > light, etc.).
    >
    > . . .
    >
    > -And then re-join the happy world of those who safely, effectively and
    > conveniently carry what they need in a fantastically designed/built
    > camera bag.


    RA again plays the fool,
    Sez he "bag carrying dorks don't look cool",
    Your Orion is neat,
    Packs your gear quite complete,
    But at least RA's not a pack mule.
     
    ASAAR, Nov 28, 2005
    #13
  14. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >
    > My Orion (amazingly) holds the following in my always-with-me kit:
    >
    > 10D with battery-grip and strap.
    > 550 EX flash
    > 24-105 f4 IS L -or-24-70 2.8 IS mounted (with lens hood)
    > 70-200 2.8 IS L (fits upright)
    > 1.4x tele-extender
    > 16-35 2.8 L
    > Lumiquest pocket bouncer kit with three different inserts
    > (gold/silver/white)
    > 8 extra AA batteries
    > 2-4 extra 10D batteries
    > Timer remote shutter release
    > Bubble level
    > Small (but sturdy) Bogen/Manfrotto table pod with ball head
    > Epson P-2000 portable storage device
    > CF card case (holds 4 cards)
    > Blower brush
    > My trusty cheapie shower cap (for body in rain)
    > Other misc. odds adn ends.


    Sheesh! By the time you get to where you're going, you'll be too tired to
    shoot.

    My bag holds

    Two cameras* or one camera + one extra lens.
    A few filters and close-up lenses.

    My other shoulder sometimes has a tripod, at which point, there'll also be a
    panorama head in the bag.

    *: (Mamiya 7 + digital) or (Mamiya 645 + Rolleiflex TLR).

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
     
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 28, 2005
    #14
  15. RW

    Mark² Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >>
    >> My Orion (amazingly) holds the following in my always-with-me kit:
    >>
    >> 10D with battery-grip and strap.
    >> 550 EX flash
    >> 24-105 f4 IS L -or-24-70 2.8 IS mounted (with lens hood)
    >> 70-200 2.8 IS L (fits upright)
    >> 1.4x tele-extender
    >> 16-35 2.8 L
    >> Lumiquest pocket bouncer kit with three different inserts
    >> (gold/silver/white)
    >> 8 extra AA batteries
    >> 2-4 extra 10D batteries
    >> Timer remote shutter release
    >> Bubble level
    >> Small (but sturdy) Bogen/Manfrotto table pod with ball head
    >> Epson P-2000 portable storage device
    >> CF card case (holds 4 cards)
    >> Blower brush
    >> My trusty cheapie shower cap (for body in rain)
    >> Other misc. odds adn ends.

    >
    > Sheesh! By the time you get to where you're going, you'll be too
    > tired to shoot.
    >
    > My bag holds
    >
    > Two cameras* or one camera + one extra lens.
    > A few filters and close-up lenses.
    >
    > My other shoulder sometimes has a tripod, at which point, there'll
    > also be a panorama head in the bag.
    >
    > *: (Mamiya 7 + digital) or (Mamiya 645 + Rolleiflex TLR).


    I'm 6 foot 3, 220 lbs.
    The Orion places it's full weight on your strongest and least
    fatigue-feeling body part (hips).
    It's actually extremely easy to carry.
    In fact, carrying the camera/flash/grip/lens over my shoulder actually gets
    me sore SOONER than the full hip bag. Try it. It's better than it sounds.

    Here's a picture I shot of it (just for YOU). :)
    Closed:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/52862274/original
    Open:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/52862308/original
    So you see... It's just not as bad as all that.
    :)

    It sounds like a lot, but it doesn't feel like a lot in this bag. Really!

    It's not like I have to carry it on my person all the time, though.
    It goes in the car/plane with me, and I pull out what I need.
    Even when I've got all of that...if I'm walking, the
    body/lens/sometimes-flash is OUT of the bag...leaving a VERY easy-to-carry,
    partially-filled bag.
     
    Mark², Nov 28, 2005
    #15
  16. RW

    Mark² Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    >> My other shoulder sometimes has a tripod, at which point, there'll
    >> also be a panorama head in the bag.
    >>
    >> *: (Mamiya 7 + digital) or (Mamiya 645 + Rolleiflex TLR).

    >
    > I'm 6 foot 3, 220 lbs.
    > The Orion places it's full weight on your strongest and least
    > fatigue-feeling body part (hips).
    > It's actually extremely easy to carry.
    > In fact, carrying the camera/flash/grip/lens over my shoulder
    > actually gets me sore SOONER than the full hip bag. Try it. It's
    > better than it sounds.
    > Here's a picture I shot of it (just for YOU). :)
    > Closed:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/52862274/original
    > Open:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/52862308/original
    > So you see... It's just not as bad as all that.
    > :)
    >
    > It sounds like a lot, but it doesn't feel like a lot in this bag. Really!
    > It's not like I have to carry it on my person all the time, though.
    > It goes in the car/plane with me, and I pull out what I need.
    > Even when I've got all of that...if I'm walking, the
    > body/lens/sometimes-flash is OUT of the bag...leaving a VERY
    > easy-to-carry, partially-filled bag.


    PS--
    Not obvious from picture:
    Zippered compartments hold all the items above except for the body, lenses,
    flash, cards.
    Two small side zips for batteries.
    Larger outer zip for small tripod.
    Top zip for bouncer.
    Inside/top zip for remote, brush, level, shower cap, etc.
     
    Mark², Nov 28, 2005
    #16
  17. RW

    RobG Guest

    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote
    >
    > Oh yeah...those things where all of your expensive camera stuff bangs
    > around into each other. And they're so convenient when you're out in
    > the field. You have to find a place to set the bag down, then rummage
    > around inside to find the gizmo you're looking for.
    >
    > Sorry, haven't used 'em in years.


    You shoot with a pocketsized digicam p'r'aps?

    RobG
     
    RobG, Nov 28, 2005
    #17
  18. RW

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >> In article <HYtif.29753$>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, camera bags. You remember them, don't you?

    >> Oh yeah...those things where all of your expensive camera stuff bangs
    >> around into each other. And they're so convenient when you're out in
    >> the field. You have to find a place to set the bag down, then rummage
    >> around inside to find the gizmo you're looking for.
    >>
    >> Sorry, haven't used 'em in years.

    >
    > Then you are VERY out of touch with what is available, Randall.
    >
    > Check out the LowePro Orion AW.
    >
    > --Nothing bangs together because the padded separators are completely
    > customizable and extremely high-quality as padded protection.
    >
    > --You don't have to set it down, because it's a belt/hip pack that opens
    > easily from the top...meaning you can use both hands to access all gear
    > while standing/wearing it.
    >
    > --Full rain protection is available with the built-in rain cover that zips
    > out of the bottom (still no need to set it down or take it off).
    >
    > My Orion (amazingly) holds the following in my always-with-me kit:
    >
    > 10D with battery-grip and strap.
    > 550 EX flash
    > 24-105 f4 IS L -or-24-70 2.8 IS mounted (with lens hood)
    > 70-200 2.8 IS L (fits upright)
    > 1.4x tele-extender
    > 16-35 2.8 L
    > Lumiquest pocket bouncer kit with three different inserts
    > (gold/silver/white)
    > 8 extra AA batteries
    > 2-4 extra 10D batteries
    > Timer remote shutter release
    > Bubble level
    > Small (but sturdy) Bogen/Manfrotto table pod with ball head
    > Epson P-2000 portable storage device
    > CF card case (holds 4 cards)
    > Blower brush
    > My trusty cheapie shower cap (for body in rain)
    > Other misc. odds adn ends.
    >
    > Other configurations go into it when my intentions dictate (macro, low
    > light, etc.).
    >
    > Oh...and it comes with a small back-pack shoulder attachment...which is
    > great for other stuff (like food, jacket, etc.)...though I rarely need to
    > use it.
    >
    > Check it out here:
    > http://tinyurl.com/ap2ze
    > -And then re-join the happy world of those who safely, effectively and
    > conveniently carry what they need in a fantastically designed/built camera
    > bag.
    > -Mark
    >
    >
    >

    My nephew carried his camera (10D with about $3000 in lenses) into the
    restaurant during a recent visit. He became a bit paranoid after
    returning to his car once to find a hold drilled in his trunklid.
    Later, after the meal, he excused himself to the restroom, asking me to
    watch the camera. After he returned, I pointed out that had someone
    snatched it, I couldn't have done anything, since a bad back allows me
    to walk at a moderate pace, but only for a couple of blocks, and running
    is about as likely as leaping tall buildings. Sigh.
    I am sure he values the camera bag highly.
     
    Ron Hunter, Nov 28, 2005
    #18
  19. RW

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:28:27 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    > number here)@cox..net> paused to regain his breath, and then wrote:
    >
    >> My Orion (amazingly) holds the following in my always-with-me kit:
    >>
    >> 10D with battery-grip and strap.
    >> 550 EX flash
    >> 24-105 f4 IS L -or-24-70 2.8 IS mounted (with lens hood)
    >> 70-200 2.8 IS L (fits upright)
    >> 1.4x tele-extender
    >> 16-35 2.8 L
    >> Lumiquest pocket bouncer kit with three different inserts
    >> (gold/silver/white)
    >> 8 extra AA batteries
    >> 2-4 extra 10D batteries
    >> Timer remote shutter release
    >> Bubble level
    >> Small (but sturdy) Bogen/Manfrotto table pod with ball head
    >> Epson P-2000 portable storage device
    >> CF card case (holds 4 cards)
    >> Blower brush
    >> My trusty cheapie shower cap (for body in rain)
    >> Other misc. odds adn ends.
    >>
    >> Other configurations go into it when my intentions dictate (macro, low
    >> light, etc.).
    >>
    >> . . .
    >>
    >> -And then re-join the happy world of those who safely, effectively and
    >> conveniently carry what they need in a fantastically designed/built
    >> camera bag.

    >
    > RA again plays the fool,
    > Sez he "bag carrying dorks don't look cool",
    > Your Orion is neat,
    > Packs your gear quite complete,
    > But at least RA's not a pack mule.
    >

    The idea of carrying all that 'kit' is about as interesting to me as
    dragging a ball and chain around. Give me my handy P&S and a pocket....
     
    Ron Hunter, Nov 28, 2005
    #19
  20. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote:
    >>

    > The idea of carrying all that 'kit' is about as interesting to me as
    > dragging a ball and chain around. Give me my handy P&S and a pocket....


    A 5D + Tamron 28-75/2.8 goes in a briefcase. A 350D + 35/2.0 goes in a
    pocket.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
     
    David J. Littleboy, Nov 28, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    660
    Walter Roberson
    Dec 15, 2004
  2. TRUE

    Help. Windows Explorer side-by-side window

    TRUE, May 10, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    782
    °Mike°
    May 10, 2004
  3. Eric
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    656
    Toolman Tim
    Jul 28, 2005
  4. R2D2

    G5 vs G3 Side-by-side Pics

    R2D2, Feb 10, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    442
    Guenter Fieblinger
    Feb 10, 2004
  5. Vlvetmorning98

    "east side, west side" (TV series)

    Vlvetmorning98, Jan 14, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    603
    jayembee
    Jan 14, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page