    1-2 years experience using C# which i dont have will this be a problem? also
    how long do u think it will take me to learn C# and pass the exam?
    thanks

    vivacasvegas, Mar 1, 2006

  2. vivacasvegas

    Cerebrus Guest

    Hi,

    3 points to make :

    1. Firstly, you can take the same exam with VB.NET as your chosen language,
    if you're more comfortable with it. You did mention that you have worked
    with VB. (Not sure if you meant VB.NET or VB 6.0, but it should be easier to
    learn .NET if you chose VB.NET) The exam would then be 70-305.

    2. If you want to go ahead with 70-315, the 1-2 years mentioned experience
    on the site is the *recommended*. If you don't have it, you can still go
    ahead with the exam, you might just have to work a little harder to gain
    those skills that people gain on-hand while working. So, in my opinion, it
    won't be a problem.

    3. How long it will take, depends totally on you. The .NET Framework is
    vast, and learning C# can be a little tough, if you're not from a Java or
    C/C++ background.

    Regards,

    Cerebrus.

    "vivacasvegas" <> wrote in message
    > I just got 2 books the microsoft c# one and the one by Amit Kalani,
    > I choose to do this as i finished my foundation degree 2 years ago and

    found
    > it hard to get a job in IT at the moment im working as IT support in a
    > college but its mainly simple stuff, I enjoyed programing at uni and

    worked
    > with Director(lingo) and VB, Not used C# but thought this would be a good
    > oppertunity to learn it. I know that on the official site it says you

    need

    Cerebrus, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Feb. 29, 2006

    Like Cerebrus said, experience is recommended but it is a type that it is
    required... it definitely is not required.

    Also, although I had a very tiny beginner's amount of learning on VB 4.0, I
    started on VB.Net Step By Step by MSPress and then with other books I passed
    my first exam about 4 months later. :) -- But then, I had a lot of time to
    study... I think probably within 6 months is definitely realistic. Hope this
    helps!

    --

    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Blog/Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Mar 1, 2006
  4. vivacasvegas

    vivacasvegas Guest

    Thanks for the replys
    To be honest i know very little VB hardly say i was compitent at it, so i
    thought id takt this chance to learn a new language.
    Im in a job that doesnt require me to program and i cant find any begginer
    programing jobs where i can learn as i work with out more qualifications.

    If i study for a hour a night how long roughly would be realistic for that
    amount of time?
    Also would i have to know more than whats in the learn c# book and the one
    by Amit Kalani that is based on the exam.
    see i really want to be a programmer and get a better job
    thanks again

    vivacasvegas, Mar 1, 2006
  5. vivacasvegas

    Cerebrus Guest

    Hi,

    I think it's a good idea, both professionally and otherwise to learn a
    new language. You never know when an opportunity asking for skills with
    that language might come up in your future. The best option is always
    to keep adding skills while working on any job.

    As Joseph said, I think 6 months should see you through.

    >> Also would i have to know more than whats in the learn c# book and the one
    >> by Amit Kalani that is based on the exam.
    >> see i really want to be a programmer and get a better job

    Yes, in my opinion, you need more knowledge than would be available
    through just a couple of books. As most of the "Get certified" books
    constantly remind you, studying from them might help you pass the exam,
    but later on, it's up to you. When I studied for these exams, my main
    goal was to gain a comprehensive (as far as possible) conceptual
    knowledge of as many topics as possible. That's why it took me longer
    than normal.

    So, to summarize, read as many books as you can, but more importantly,
    work on the examples & concepts practically. Try them out. You need to
    have a high comfort level working on the language. Try to make some
    programs which illustrate the concepts you learn. Experiment...

    In other words, the certification is probably not your final goal, it's
    more likely a ticket to realise your future goals. So prepare with that
    target in mind.

    Hope this helps

    Regards,

    Cerebrus.

    Cerebrus, Mar 2, 2006
  6. vivacasvegas

    Jamie Fraser Guest

    Hi,

    I would recommend that you aim to do 70-305 as you have experience of VB.net
    already. If you are desperate to do 315, then go for it; C# is a very easy
    language to learn, assuming you have experience using .net previously. If
    not, Id suggest learning .net before attempting either exam. The exam itself
    isn't difficult if you have experience, as I sat it yesterday and got a 981.

    Jamie Fraser, Mar 9, 2006
  7. vivacasvegas

    vivacasvegas Guest

    nice one on passing,
    im confused now i thought .net was part of like C# and VB so is it posible
    to learn .net with out the c# language first, can some one explane this to me
    im been a bit thick

    vivacasvegas, Mar 9, 2006