    Chris J. Guest

    Any links where I can find out how to do this? What are the true benefits?
    TY

    Chris J., Nov 20, 2004

  2. Hi, Chris,

    The only way you can re-partition your hard drive without losing all your programs, is with a 3rd party partition manager, such as Partition Magic or Bootit NG.
    Otherwise you will have to start from scratch, and re-install XP on a clean hard drive.

    Jerry

    JerryM \(ID\), Nov 20, 2004

  3. Chris J.

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Chris J.

    Philip Guest

    I have two hard disks on my machine. The master drive is divided into
    several partitions. In theory, if you keep all your important data on a
    separate partition from the OS (usually C:) then if you ever have to
    reinstall the OS then your data is relatively safe. I use Norton Ghost to
    keep backups of the C: drive on the second hard disk.

    Philip, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Chris J.

    Sandman Guest

    I have never understood the thinking behind partitions, especially with
    XP...(because of the way XP accesses data on the drive) ...and If your HD
    craps, you lose everything anyway(..............

    Sandman, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Chris J.

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in

    > I have two hard disks on my machine. The master drive is divided into
    > several partitions. In theory, if you keep all your important data on
    > a separate partition from the OS (usually C:) then if you ever have to
    > reinstall the OS then your data is relatively safe. I use Norton Ghost
    > to keep backups of the C: drive on the second hard disk.

    There are a lot of perfectly valid reasons for multiple partitions on the
    same drive. The idea that having your OS on a different partition of the
    same physical drive makes your data safe is simply not one of them.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 21, 2004