how to on firewall

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RB, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. RB

    RB Guest

    I'm an old guy who doesn't know beans about the ins and outs of computers.
    I do like using mine, but am not yet as knowledgeable as I'd like to be.

    I need help on a pc firewall issue. I have Kerio. If I set the security
    level where it should be, several things happen which are not good, from a
    convenience aspect: (the firewall is doing its job):

    a. The firewall frequently alerts. It does this whenever I go to and from
    web sites, or change web pages at a site. It does it at other times, too.

    b. Certain web sites and/or web pages won't load because of blocking action
    by the firewall.

    Without a better state of knowledge, my action is to "deny" all alerts.

    What I need is some simple rule of thumb which tells me which alerts it's OK
    to let through, and which to deny----bearing in mind letting something in
    sets a rule for future occurences from that source.

    It's probably OK and even desireable to let certain apps in, and to let my
    computer communicate/respond outbound for certain apps. The trouble is that
    I don't know which is which just from the info the alert presents me.

    I have no idea what kind of alerts bad cookie or malware/spyware coming in
    presents. I do know that when I run Adaware and Spybot weekly, both usually
    catch several items.

    So, what kind of simple rule can I adopt that will let me permit "good"
    activity, and deny "bad" activity in a quick way?

    Thoughts/comments appreciated.

    RB, Aug 26, 2003

  2. RB

    RB Guest

    Thanks very much. Your response is is helpful to my getting more proficient
    in this matter.

    RB, Aug 26, 2003

  3. RB

    Robin T Cox Guest

    "RB" <> wrote in news:bierb3$t4u$:

    > I'm an old guy who doesn't know beans about the ins and outs of
    > computers. I do like using mine, but am not yet as knowledgeable as
    > I'd like to be.
    >
    > I need help on a pc firewall issue. I have Kerio. If I set the
    > security level where it should be, several things happen which are not
    > good, from a convenience aspect: (the firewall is doing its job):
    >
    > a. The firewall frequently alerts. It does this whenever I go to and
    > from web sites, or change web pages at a site. It does it at other
    > times, too.
    >
    > b. Certain web sites and/or web pages won't load because of blocking
    > action by the firewall.
    >
    > Without a better state of knowledge, my action is to "deny" all
    > alerts.
    >
    > <snipped>

    > So, what kind of simple rule can I adopt that will let me permit
    > "good" activity, and deny "bad" activity in a quick way?
    >
    > Thoughts/comments appreciated.

    (From another old guy):

    Why not deny all alerts - or at least suppress as many as possible, by just
    setting the slider on the Administration/Firewall tab to the top position -
    'Deny Unknown'? You'll get the odd time when, having done so, a page won't
    display for some mysterious reason, and then you'll have to rack those old
    grey cells to recall that you put this setting in place. But apart from
    that, you'll get a more peaceful life.

    Of course, before you do that, you really should ensure that you have the
    best set of filtering rules you can get, and I'd certainly endorse the
    recommendation that you visit Sponge's site:
    http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/

    BTW other sites worth a visit include:

    - the Kerio forum at: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio
    - the SpywareInfo Support Forum, where they have a section on Firewalls and
    Proxies: http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    - the Usenet group comp.security.firewalls

    Robin T Cox, Aug 27, 2003