    ciwluke Guest

    can anybody tell me how to connect windows 2000pro to vista via wired
    LAN?

    ciwluke, Jun 11, 2007

  2. ciwluke

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:12:31 -0700, ciwluke wrote:

    >can anybody tell me how to connect windows 2000pro to vista via wired
    >LAN?

    It just works.

    Saying that you were specific about Win 2000 Pro but not which version
    of VIsta although it shouldn't make a difference.

    You also didn't specify what your LAN is, just the 2PCs on a crossover
    cable, via a repeater/switch or the switch ports of a router connected
    to your ISP.

    In the 1st 2 cases Windows should figure out the IP addresses if auto
    configuration is enabled and for the 3rd if DHCP is enabled the
    addresses should be from the router.

    You also didn't make it clear if by connected you also meant file /
    print sharing which involves some extra steps.

    Did you try searching 24HSHD for the many posts containing
    home networking links?

    Here they are again although it's only bee a few days.

    From author:why posts, remembering credits when I can.

    From a Plato post of 23 Aug 2006
    Networking - General
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
    http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04

    Networking - NT/XP Specific
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/
    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/defaul...

    | Looking at some of the previous posts in 24HSHD, the usual networking
    | tutorials are -
    |
    | http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    | http://www.wown.com/
    | http://smallnetbuilder.com/
    | http://www.homenethelp.com/
    | http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

    Lots of home networking links posted in the last couple of months in
    24HSHD.

    Toolman Tim post -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/default.mspx
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
    or search at Google for Home Networking for plenty more help...

    A Mike post -
    Step by Step: Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guide.htm

    DIY home networking guides and tutorials
    http://www.homenethelp.com/

    WLAN Wireless Networking
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wlan.htm

    Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/

    How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    From a why? post -
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=home network tutorial&as_ug...
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D1872344B

    or ripped from several previous posts -

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    See Index for ICS, check the step-by-step articles maybe?
    http://www.wown.com/

    maybe here as well
    http://www.firewall.cx/

    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/common/

    One of the sites mentioned in other posts,
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagram-multiport-router.html

    Starting to get duplicates from the many times these links appear.

    Me

    why?, Jun 11, 2007

  3. ciwluke

    ciwluke Guest

    On Jun 11, 4:34 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
> [...]

    > How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
    >
    > http://www.wown.com/http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    >
    > From a why? post -
    > ===========================================http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=home+network+tutorial&as_ug...
    > or shorterhttp://makeashorterlink.com/?D1872344B
    >
    > or ripped from several previous posts -
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    >
    > See Index for ICS, check the step-by-step articles maybe?http://www.wown.com/
    >
    > maybe here as wellhttp://www.firewall.cx/
    >
    > http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm
    >
    > http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/common/
    >
    > One of the sites mentioned in other posts,http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagram-multiport-router.html
    >
    > Starting to get duplicates from the many times these links appear.

    thanks for that - the vista version is home premium- but i need to
    connect them to a domain not the internet. and also enable file
    sharing......- any ideas.

    ciwluke, Jun 11, 2007
  4. ciwluke

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:43:45 -0700, ciwluke wrote:

    ....something away down at the bottom of the post a few lines and hardly
    a snip. <groan>

    >On Jun 11, 4:34 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:12:31 -0700, ciwluke wrote:
    >> >can anybody tell me how to connect windows 2000pro to vista via wired
    >> >LAN?

    >> It just works.
    >>
    >> Saying that you were specific about Win 2000 Pro but not which version
    >> of VIsta although it shouldn't make a difference.
    >>
    >> You also didn't specify what your LAN is, just the 2PCs on a crossover
    >> cable, via a repeater/switch or the switch ports of a router connected
    >> to your ISP.
    >>
    >> In the 1st 2 cases Windows should figure out the IP addresses if auto
    >> configuration is enabled and for the 3rd if DHCP is enabled the
    >> addresses should be from the router.
    >>
    >> You also didn't make it clear if by connected you also meant file /
    >> print sharing which involves some extra steps.
    >>
    >> Did you try searching 24HSHD for the many posts containinghttp://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    >> home networking links?
    >>
    >> Here they are again although it's only bee a few days.
    >>
    >> From author:why posts, remembering credits when I can.
    >>
    >> From a Plato post of 23 Aug 2006
    >> Networking - Generalhttp://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htmhttp://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asphttp://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htmhttp://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04
    >>
    >> Networking - NT/XP Specifichttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htmhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/getstarted/defaul...
    >>
    >> | Looking at some of the previous posts in 24HSHD, the usual networking
    >> | tutorials are -

    <snip lists of links>

    >> Me

    >thanks for that - the vista version is home premium- but i need to
    >connect them to a domain not the internet. and also enable file
    >sharing......- any ideas.

    Here is an idea, read some of the links.

    It would also be a nice idea not to bottom post 3 lines on the end of
    90.

    Windows 2000 Pro is very easy, Speak to the
    1) network administrator, do you need a static address or dhcp.
    2) domain administrator or an account holder with add computer to domain
    rights.
    3) server administrator to enable sharing and correct permissions for
    you to connect to shares.
    4) printer administrator, usually the same person as 1,2 or 3.

    Vista Home doesn't join domains, this has been repeated in losts of
    posts and many of the MS Vista newsgroups. It's one of those .. oh not
    not again and again and again questions.

    For Vista you will still need 1-4, only it can't join a domain. You may
    still have to create a user account anyway.

    3rd hit www.google.com

    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsVista/vista-which-version.html
    Vista home either version, join domain - No.

    You can IIRC still connect to domain resources, needing a
    account/password. Do some reading and speak to 1,2,3 or 4.

    Other than that, do some reading you were given lots of links including
    wown.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=vista home domain

    Me

    why?, Jun 11, 2007
  5. ciwluke

    ciwluke Guest

    On 11 Jun, 19:35, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:43:45 -0700, ciwluke wrote:
    >
    > ...something away down at the bottom of the post a few lines and hardly
    > a snip. <groan>

    > >> It just works.

    > >> Saying that you were specific about Win 2000 Pro but not which version
    > >> of VIsta although it shouldn't make a difference.

    > >> You also didn't specify what your LAN is, just the 2PCs on a crossover
    > >> cable, via a repeater/switch or the switch ports of a router connected
    > >> to your ISP.

    > >> In the 1st 2 cases Windows should figure out the IP addresses if auto
    > >> configuration is enabled and for the 3rd if DHCP is enabled the
    > >> addresses should be from the router.

    > >> You also didn't make it clear if by connected you also meant file /
    > >> print sharing which involves some extra steps.

    > >> Did you try searching 24HSHD for the many posts containinghttp://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    > >> home networking links?

    > >> Here they are again although it's only bee a few days.

    > >> From author:why posts, remembering credits when I can.

    > >> From a Plato post of 23 Aug 2006
    > >> Networking - Generalhttp://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htmhttp://www.homenethelp.c...

    > >> Networking - NT/XP Specifichttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/http://compnetworki......

    > <snip lists of links>
    >
    > >> Me

    > >thanks for that - the vista version is home premium- but i need to
    > >connect them to a domain not the internet. and also enable file
    > >sharing......- any ideas.

    > Here is an idea, read some of the links.
    >
    > It would also be a nice idea not to bottom post 3 lines on the end of
    > 90.
    >
    > Windows 2000 Pro is very easy, Speak to the
    > 1) network administrator, do you need a static address or dhcp.
    > 2) domain administrator or an account holder with add computer to domain
    > rights.
    > 3) server administrator to enable sharing and correct permissions for
    > you to connect to shares.
    > 4) printer administrator, usually the same person as 1,2 or 3.
    >
    > Vista Home doesn't join domains, this has been repeated in losts of
    > posts and many of the MS Vista newsgroups. It's one of those .. oh not
    > not again and again and again questions.
    >
    > For Vista you will still need 1-4, only it can't join a domain. You may
    > still have to create a user account anyway.
    >
    > 3rd hitwww.google.com
    >
    > http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsVista/vista-which-version.html
    > Vista home either version, join domain - No.
    >
    > You can IIRC still connect to domain resources, needing a
    > account/password. Do some reading and speak to 1,2,3 or 4.
    >
    > Other than that, do some reading you were given lots of links including
    > wown.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=vista home domain
    >
    > Me

    we are a small business- there are no IT experts to speak to.
    i just want to know a step by step procedure to connect them.

    ciwluke, Jun 11, 2007
  6. ciwluke

    PeeCee Guest

    "ciwluke" <> wrote in message
    > can anybody tell me how to connect windows 2000pro to vista via wired
    > LAN?

    ciwluke

    1 As far as I know Vista Home will 'not' connect to a Domain, you need Vista
    Business or Ultimate for that.
    Workgroup yes, Domain no.
    2 If you do not have an 'Domain' savy staff member then may I respectfully
    suggest you get someone in to do the job. In the end it is going to be
    quicker, easier and 'cheaper'.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 11, 2007
  7. ciwluke

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:48:14 -0700, ciwluke wrote:

    Again, no snipping and 2 lines posted away at the end.

    >On 11 Jun, 19:35, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:43:45 -0700, ciwluke wrote:
    >>
    >> ...something away down at the bottom of the post a few lines and hardly
    >> a snip. <groan>

    <snip>

    >> <snip lists of links>

    >> >thanks for that - the vista version is home premium- but i need to
    >> >connect them to a domain not the internet. and also enable file
    >> >sharing......- any ideas.

    >> Here is an idea, read some of the links.
    >>
    >> It would also be a nice idea not to bottom post 3 lines on the end of
    >> 90.
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 Pro is very easy, Speak to the
    >> 1) network administrator, do you need a static address or dhcp.
    >> 2) domain administrator or an account holder with add computer to domain
    >> rights.
    >> 3) server administrator to enable sharing and correct permissions for
    >> you to connect to shares.
    >> 4) printer administrator, usually the same person as 1,2 or 3.

    <snip>

    >> Other than that, do some reading you were given lots of links including
    >> wown.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=vista home domain
    >>
    >> Me

    >we are a small business- there are no IT experts to speak to.
    >i just want to know a step by step procedure to connect them.

    Read some notes of the sites for the networking links. Many of those
    have lists of steps and images from screenshots.

    Unless you are doing dozens or 100's I have always found little use for
    step by step notes.

    None of those sites will be any use if you don't get the basics sorted
    like addressing, joining a domain and setting shares.

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/
    Articles and Tutorials
    Windows 2000 , has sharing, user management / permissions , network
    install, network access.

    No doubt the general - for all OS and Vista sections have other stuff
    you need.

    You haven't tried all that much have you, in the VIsta section.

    File and Print Sharing in Windows Vista
    Date - Apr 25, 2006
    Author - Brien M. Posey
    In this article I will show you how users can set up some share
    points of their own in Windows Vista.

    Introducing Vista’s Network Center
    Date - Mar 07, 2006
    Author - Brien M. Posey
    If you have ever worked as a consultant or even just helped out a
    friend with a computer problem, then you have probably been in a
    situation in which you sat down at an unfamiliar workstation and had to
    get an idea of how the system was configured prior to working on the
    problem. Although Windows XP’s network configuration options are pretty
    straightforward, you usually can’t get all of the particulars of a
    machine’s network connectivity at a glance. In Windows Vista though,
    Microsoft has made it a lot easier to quickly gather information about
    how a workstation is connected to a network through a new component

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Networking-Basics-Part8.html
    see the sections
    Networking Basics: Part 1 - Networking Hardware
    Networking Basics: Part 2 - Routers
    Networking Basics: Part 3 - DNS Servers
    Networking Basics: Part 4 - Workstations and Servers
    Networking Basics: Part 5 - Domain Controllers
    Networking Basics: Part 6 - Windows Domain
    Networking Basics: Part 7 - Introduction to FSMO Roles

    Me

    why?, Jun 12, 2007
  8. ciwluke

    Plato Guest

  9. ciwluke

    ciwluke Guest

    On 12 Jun, 19:05, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
> [...]

    > get an idea of how the system was configured prior to working on the
    > problem. Although Windows XP's network configuration options are pretty
    > straightforward, you usually can't get all of the particulars of a
    > machine's network connectivity at a glance. In WindowsVistathough,
    > Microsoft has made it a lot easier to quickly gather information about
    > how a workstation is connected to a network through a new component
    >
    > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Networking-Basics...
    > see the sections
    > NetworkingBasics: Part 1 -NetworkingHardware
    > NetworkingBasics: Part 2 - Routers
    > NetworkingBasics: Part 3 - DNS Servers
    > NetworkingBasics: Part 4 - Workstations and Servers
    > NetworkingBasics: Part 5 - Domain Controllers
    > NetworkingBasics: Part 6 - Windows Domain
    > NetworkingBasics: Part 7 - Introduction to FSMO Roles

    this is all very well.- but still doesnt give me a simple step by step
    guide to connecting my 3 windows 2000pro pc to my vista via wired LAN
    and hub.....

    ciwluke, Jun 14, 2007
  10. ciwluke

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 02:01:03 -0700, ciwluke wrote:

    Learn how to snip and stop bottom posting a few lines away at the end of
    the post.

    >On 12 Jun, 19:05, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:48:14 -0700, ciwluke wrote:
    >>
    >> Again, no snipping and 2 lines posted away at the end.

    <big snip>

    >> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Networking-Basics...
    >> see the sections
    >> NetworkingBasics: Part 1 -NetworkingHardware
    >> NetworkingBasics: Part 2 - Routers
    >> NetworkingBasics: Part 3 - DNS Servers
    >> NetworkingBasics: Part 4 - Workstations and Servers
    >> NetworkingBasics: Part 5 - Domain Controllers
    >> NetworkingBasics: Part 6 - Windows Domain
    >> NetworkingBasics: Part 7 - Introduction to FSMO Roles
    >>
    >> Me

    >this is all very well.- but still doesnt give me a simple step by step
    >guide to connecting my 3 windows 2000pro pc to my vista via wired LAN
    >and hub.....

    1-8 seems to be steps, it's a clue it was in some order.

    Well I am not reading the pages from every link for you.

    How hard is this?

    Install a Ethernet network card and drivers. Set driver to auto detect
    speed and duplex.

    Connect PC to hub (switch / repeater) using (usually UTP RJ45 Cat
    5/5e/6) patch cables.

    Any PC, using TCP/IP manually configure an IP address, subnet mask and
    gateway or set the option to use DHCP.

    If you have a standalone LAN with a repeater / switch, no internet
    connection or router - Windows 2000/Vista will auto self configure thier
    own IP addresses with DHCP selected.

    A LAN with a repeater / switch and internet connection with a router
    will auto self configure IP addresses sent by the router to the PC with
    DHCP selected.

    Me

    why?, Jun 14, 2007