    this?

    Thanks for any help.

    Art Snyder
    Art Snyder, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Art Snyder <> writes:

    > Sorry if this has been covered extensively before, but I can't find
    > much via Google on the web or the rec.photo archives. Perhaps many
    > people don't mount their prints themselves, but I would like to start
    > taking some of my prints (from mpix.com, not inkjet), and mounting
    > them. 11 x 14's and larger.
    >
    > How do you guys do it, if you do it yourselves? Is it difficult to
    > do? Can you mount your prints on foamcore board? Are there books on
    > this?

    There are all sorts of styles. I tend towards what I think of as
    "museum mounting" -- avoiding anything irreversible, single white
    overmat, archival materials throughout. This is quite simple. The
    print usually gets attached with linen tape, often by making a hinge.

    Foamcore is a fine backing board. It's stiff and light. Also thick,
    so it might be a problem in certain frames, but for most frames it's
    one of the standard things they expected people to use.

    On the other hand, multi-layer colored mats with extra decorative cuts
    is *hard* -- nearly unfeasible with simple hand tools.

    I'm afraid I don't know of a book, but there's gotta be one, maybe
    somebody else will know it.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Art Snyder

    Conrad Guest

    Hi Art,

    This is a bit of a problem - depending on how deep your pockets are.

    It can get costly to mat and frame some of your larger works. I know
    the chorus is saying, "You can do it yourself", but that not only takes
    time but an artistic flair.

    A suggestion from a friend. "Take one of your winners and get it
    professionally matted and framed." This may become your showcase piece
    or artwork.

    Another piece of advice -- "don't start with your picture and look
    around for what frame(s) you have lying around home or in the garage.
    Start with your winner and have it correctly matted and framed."

    I have particular problems correctly matting and framing 12x18's and
    20x30's myself. This may just be lack of experience on my part.

    A recent 20x30 winner of mine is being matted and framed professionally
    right now at a cost of $287.

    It will be interesting to see and compare result with my earlier
    efforts.

    Good luck,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon
    Conrad, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Art Snyder

    Marvin Guest

    Art Snyder wrote:
    > Sorry if this has been covered extensively before, but I can't find
    > much via Google on the web or the rec.photo archives. Perhaps many
    > people don't mount their prints themselves, but I would like to start
    > taking some of my prints (from mpix.com, not inkjet), and mounting
    > them. 11 x 14's and larger.
    >
    > How do you guys do it, if you do it yourselves? Is it difficult to
    > do? Can you mount your prints on foamcore board? Are there books on
    > this?

    I did that once. I got spray-on adhesive from an art supply store to put on the back of
    the prints.

    Marvin, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Art Snyder

    C Wright Guest

    >> Sorry if this has been covered extensively before, but I can't find
    >> much via Google on the web or the rec.photo archives. Perhaps many
    >> people don't mount their prints themselves, but I would like to start
    >> taking some of my prints (from mpix.com, not inkjet), and mounting
    >> them. 11 x 14's and larger.
    >>
    >> How do you guys do it, if you do it yourselves? Is it difficult to
    >> do? Can you mount your prints on foamcore board? Are there books on
    >> this?
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Art Snyder

    Here is a how-to link:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/matting.shtml
    If you intend to do a lot of matting one of the custom table top mat cutting
    tools makes the job a lot easier. It can however be done with a sharp
    X-acto tool and a good straight edge. For archival matting purchase the
    acid free mat board.
    Chuck
    C Wright, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Art Snyder

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Art Snyder <> wrote:

    > Sorry if this has been covered extensively before, but I can't find
    > much via Google on the web or the rec.photo archives. Perhaps many
    > people don't mount their prints themselves, but I would like to start
    > taking some of my prints (from mpix.com, not inkjet), and mounting
    > them. 11 x 14's and larger.
    >
    > How do you guys do it, if you do it yourselves? Is it difficult to
    > do? Can you mount your prints on foamcore board? Are there books on
    > this?

    Is there a good art school in your area? If so, check out some of the
    art supply stores near that school. You'll find all the supplies and
    materials you need there for matting your photos, including books on the
    subject. I have done it and I get good results, but it takes practice,
    money, and patients. Any good photo that is to be framed has to be
    matted first, and matting requires a very steady hand.
    Shawn Hirn, Nov 19, 2005