    Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?

    Thanks,

    Herb

    Herb Barnes, Oct 30, 2006

  2. Herb Barnes wrote:
    > Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements
    > which will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
    >
    > In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a
    > dry mount press without any long term degradation.
    >
    > Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Herb

    I use double-sided carpet tape, but don't assume this is an easy option. I
    have developed my own technique and get beautiful results.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 30, 2006

  3. Herb Barnes

    tomm42 Guest

    On Oct 30, 10:00 am, "Herb Barnes" <> wrote:
    > Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
    > will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
    >
    > In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
    > mount press without any long term degradation.
    >
    > Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Herb

    There are several ways, some more archival than others.
    1) Most Archival: First you need a fairly stiff print, non of the thin
    papers, photopaper is OK. Cut a matte and backing from archival mount
    board, buffered OK. The print has to have a border, use archival linen
    tape to fasten the print to the backer board, of course centered on the
    matte. I have photoprints that the linen tape has lasted almost 20
    years. Some folks don't like this as the print is not perfectly flat,
    but it is the most archival way of mounting
    2) Use low temp dry mounting tissue, need a dry mounting press.
    3) Use excapsulated rubber cement sheets, adhere to the print, then to
    the board, a roller press is nice here.
    4) Use encapsulated rubber cement foamcore, very quick with a roller
    press, a little harder by hand. This method is mostly for borderless
    prints, though you can waste some paper and matte the print. Use with a
    wrapable metal edge frame for a quick passable display.
    Archival mounting board is just what it says, as I said it needs to be
    pH neutral, board made with acid buffers is almost as good as natural
    pH neutral board and much cheaper. Board that is not pH neutral will
    turn yellow, may take 10 years or so. Some foam cores are also pH
    neutral, thopugh I'm not sure if there are any pH neutral that also
    have adhesive.

    Tom

    tomm42, Oct 30, 2006
  4. Herb Barnes

    Guest Guest

    In article <uso1h.2117$VX5.555@trnddc05>, says...
    > Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
    > will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
    >
    > In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
    > mount press without any long term degradation.

    Dry mounting is still a good choice if you want the print to stay flat.

    Digital has an advantage that if you keep the file, you can make a new
    print. That can overcome the greatest down-side of dry mounting, taking
    the picture back off its mountain if the mount is damaged. (Or you can
    use dry mount adhesive that's designed to release if reheated.)

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

    Guest, Oct 31, 2006
  5. There is no one answer as there is no one type of digital print. Inkjet
    (and lots of subsets of those) laser, chemical, etc.

    Maybe if you tell us more about the actual print someone with experience
    with them could offer some specific advice that would apply. I fear much of
    the advice you will get will not apply to the prints YOU have.

    For example. Are you printing them yourself with an inkjet or laser
    printer? If so what paper, printer and toner-ink are you using? If they
    are being printed on a commercial machine, what one (Kodak, Fuji etc.)

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 31, 2006
  6. Herb Barnes wrote:
    > Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
    > will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
    >
    > In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
    > mount press without any long term degradation.
    >
    > Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Herb

    As long as the prints are done on coated paper, I find those spray cans
    of contact cement work fine. I have not had the cement bleed through
    the paper on any I have done, even if I put it on immediately so that I
    can reposition it. The longer you let it dry before putting the print
    on, the tougher it sticks. I have had some come loose, so there is a
    trade off. Wait a full minute and you get a tight bond, but you had
    better have it positioned perfectly on the mount board!

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Oct 31, 2006
  7. Herb Barnes

    Marvin Guest

    Herb Barnes wrote:
    > Have any experience with mounting digital photos? Are there cements which
    > will not 'bleed' through the photo paper?
    >
    > In the 'old' days, archival copies of photos could be mounted with a dry
    > mount press without any long term degradation.
    >
    > Is there a long term option for mounting digital prints?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Herb

    I've used a spray-on adhesive that I bought in an art supply
    shop.

    Marvin, Nov 2, 2006