    We know about the router log in the router set up page (from all ports, all
    mixed), showing what URL is contacted and time stamped.

    Thank you.
    Adams H, Feb 24, 2008

  2. Adams H

    Kerry Brown Guest

    "Adams H" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > We are using Netgear Router in most offices in Northern California
    > offices.
    >
    > Most are Net gear router modele MR814 & WGR614, 4 wired ports and 1
    > wireless port; and WG311 wireless adapters.
    >
    > Is there anyway to monitor the router activity? Anyway to see which port
    > (wired and wireless) is active and network traffic. Also, want to make
    > sure nobody outside our approved users is using the wireless ports?
    >
    > We know about the router log in the router set up page (from all ports,
    > all mixed), showing what URL is contacted and time stamped.
    >
    > Thank you.

    You could try Wallwatcher

    http://sonic.net/wallwatcher/

    I don't see your routers on the supported list but if the will write an
    external log they will probably work.

    --
    Kerry Brown
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Kerry Brown, Feb 24, 2008

  3. Adams H

    Barb Bowman Guest

    These Netgear routers are usually used in residential (as opposed to
    business) environments. Don't know how much logging is available
    other than what you state below.

    However, with respect to the wireless, you ARE using WPA2 or at
    least WPA, aren't you? That would limit usage to those to whom you
    have given the passphrase.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Feb 24, 2008
  4. Adams H

    Adams H Guest

    "Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    > These Netgear routers are usually used in residential (as opposed to
    > business) environments. Don't know how much logging is available
    > other than what you state below.
    >
    > However, with respect to the wireless, you ARE using WPA2 or at
    > least WPA, aren't you? That would limit usage to those to whom you
    > have given the passphrase.

    We used different WPA and WPA2, set up depending on each department manager
    or department tech.
    Adams H, Feb 24, 2008
  5. Hi
    Entry level Router do not maintain logs rich enough to do what you would
    like to do.
    Wireless (especially business) must be encrypted, and as posted above No one
    would log unless you give them the Key.
    However if people "share" the key with others it Not secure either.
    The usual way businesses control the Wireless is either by using Wireless
    Hardware that has much more elaborate log on controls. Or if you already
    have a server in your office you can add to it RADIUS Server (Windows 2003
    IAS) and it would provide the control needed.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 24, 2008
  6. Adams H

    Adams H Guest

    "Kerry Brown" <*a*m> wrote in message
    > "Adams H" <> wrote in message
    >
    > You could try Wallwatcher
    >
    > http://sonic.net/wallwatcher/
    >
    > I don't see your routers on the supported list but if the will write an
    > external log they will probably work.
    >
    > --
    > Kerry Brown
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    > http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    Thanks Kerry. Found WallWatcher, in their hardware list, it does not include
    the entire Netgear MR series of popular routers.
    Adams H, Feb 24, 2008
  7. Hi
    For business purposes you can not mange securely Wireless with Entry Level
    Wireless Hardware.
    To employ the control that you want you either need Wireless hardware that
    is specifically designed for Controlling/Monitoring the log ons.
    Or if you have a real server installed, you can add to it RADUIS Server
    (Windows 2003 IAS).
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3287481
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e8-fc41-4eb1-9374-44612e64f0fb&displaylang=en
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 24, 2008
  8. Adams H

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Feb 25, 2008
  9. I downloaded Wallwatcher last night but can't get it to install, it just
    keeps telling me a .dll file is missing (can't remember which one, off hand)
    It does actually cover the netgear router I am using.

    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    Windows Desktop Experience

    Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
    Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

    mail/post..

    John Barnett MVP, Feb 25, 2008
  10. Adams H

    Kerry Brown Guest

    "John Barnett MVP" <> wrote in message
    >I downloaded Wallwatcher last night but can't get it to install, it just
    >keeps telling me a .dll file is missing (can't remember which one, off
    >hand) It does actually cover the netgear router I am using.

    You need to download the library as well. It's right under the download link
    on the main page. If you are installing it in Vista there is also a section
    in the FAQ that may be appropriate.

    Kerry Brown, Feb 25, 2008
  11. Hi Jack,
    On this RADIUS thing,..Does that prompt the users for authentication prior
    to them actually connecting to the WAP? What happens if there is no cached
    user profile on the machine before hand? I use the Windows ZCU instead of
    the Vendor's nic utility to make sure a profile gets created if it isn't
    already there, but how (or does?) RADIUS effect that? Can it be integrated
    into the Windows logon so that there is only a single sign on (SSO)?

    What I am worried about is the user who has never logged onto that
    particular machine with their credentials before and so there is no user
    profile. In the one particular case we use wireless it is not really
    possible to always expect the user to connect the machine with a cable and
    log in the first time so the profile gets created,... and the business runs
    24/7,...the IT guy (me) does not.

    We might use wireless more than we do, but some of these usuablility issues
    have prevented that.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Feb 25, 2008
  12. Thanks Kerry I'll give it another try. It's not something I'm particularly
    bothered about, but I like to keep up with other MVP software
    recommendations.

    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    John Barnett MVP, Feb 25, 2008