    do that on Cisco routers and switches?

    Thanks in advance.

    zher
    zher, Sep 23, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    zher <> wrote:
    >On unix platform, I can generate an alarm manually, is there a way to
    >do that on Cisco routers and switches?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >zher

    There is ESM which allows you to do all sorts of things on the
    router, search www.cisco.com for more info. Two primary drawbacks,
    it's a subset of Tcl (no math, for example), and only supported on
    800 and 1700 platforms (and then only on 12.3T). You need a syslog event
    to start the first process, but then you can have your process kick off
    other process (sort of like Unix init).

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com
    Vincent C Jones, Sep 24, 2004

  3. zher

    zher Guest

    Thanks for your answer.

    ESM seems like a logging filter, didn't see how to manually generate
    alarms. BTW, my platforms are GSRs and 6509s.

    Thanks.

    zher

    zher, Sep 24, 2004
  4. (zher) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Thanks for your answer.
    >
    > ESM seems like a logging filter, didn't see how to manually generate
    > alarms. BTW, my platforms are GSRs and 6509s.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > zher
    >
    > (Vincent C Jones) wrote in message news:<civvoj$jis$>...
    > > In article <>,
    > > zher <> wrote:
    > > >On unix platform, I can generate an alarm manually, is there a way to
    > > >do that on Cisco routers and switches?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks in advance.
    > > >
    > > >zher

    > > There is ESM which allows you to do all sorts of things on the
    > > router, search www.cisco.com for more info. Two primary drawbacks,
    > > it's a subset of Tcl (no math, for example), and only supported on
    > > 800 and 1700 platforms (and then only on 12.3T). You need a syslog event
    > > to start the first process, but then you can have your process kick off
    > > other process (sort of like Unix init).
    > >
    > > Good luck and have fun!

    If you just want to test that traps/syslogs are reaching the correct
    destination, you could set the logging level to debugging and enable
    traps for configuration changes, do a conf t and then ctrl-C out. That
    generates a trap and a syslog message.

    Pete
    Pete Mainwaring, Sep 27, 2004