    I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
    'normal' under similar situation ?

    Tks!
    ComeMon!, Sep 26, 2003

  2. ComeMon!

    Paul - xxx Guest

    ComeMon! tried to scribble ...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
    > ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
    > directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
    > slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
    > songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
    > opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
    > were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
    > stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
    > 'normal' under similar situation ?
    >
    > Tks!

    Add more memory, run less 'background' applications, generally clean-up the
    computer hard drive and files .. ;)

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Paul - xxx, Sep 26, 2003

  3. ComeMon!

    °Mike° Guest

    Start here:
    Basic computer maintenance

    Uninstall WinAmp 3 and install WinAmp 2.9 (less bloated)
    http://classic.winamp.com/download/index.jhtml

    Most importantly, install more memory - 64MB is not enough
    for Windows 98SE to run smoothly.

    On 26 Sep 2003 09:56:53 -0700, in
    <>
    ComeMon! scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003
  4. ComeMon!

    HamMan Guest

    "ComeMon!" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
    > ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
    > directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
    > slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
    > songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
    > opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
    > were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
    > stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
    > 'normal' under similar situation ?
    >
    > Tks!

    You could try using the latest release of winamp2, i've found it to be much
    faster (i use it mainly because of the 3rd party plugin i use for
    projections)

    But really, what do you expect from a 166?
    HamMan, Sep 26, 2003
  5. ComeMon!

    John Wood Guest

    Umm, Pentium 166?
    I think you answered your own question!

    John Wood, Sep 26, 2003
  6. ComeMon!

    ComeMon! Guest

    "John Wood" <> wrote in message news:<zY0db.338$>...
    > Umm, Pentium 166?
    > I think you answered your own question!

    Can't agree with your answer. It's MMX! even though it's just Pentium.
    There should be some way to boost up its performance

    ComeMon!, Sep 27, 2003
  7. ComeMon!

    ComeMon! Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message news:<bl1rgn$7c9uu$-berlin.de>...
    > ComeMon! tried to scribble ...
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
    > > ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
    > > directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
    > > slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
    > > songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
    > > opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
    > > were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
    > > stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
    > >
    > > I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
    > > 'normal' under similar situation ?
    > >
    > > Tks!

    > Add more memory, run less 'background' applications, generally clean-up the
    > computer hard drive and files .. ;)

    1. The notebook is of an old model, may be hard to find compatibile
    memory.

    2. Pressed Ctrl-Alt-Esc, found below list of processes listed : 2
    explorer windows instances, explorer, internat, winampa,
    btstackserver, irmon, 2xrundll32, systray processes (total 10
    entries). Would yuou say it's too much 'background' applications ?

    3. Cleaned up HD (temporary internet directory, windows temp
    directory) to increase free disk space from below 60MB to 105MB. Found
    performance slightly improved although still unsatisfactory.
    ComeMon!, Sep 27, 2003
  8. ComeMon!

    ComeMon! Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Start here:
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Need time to study it's content.

    > Uninstall WinAmp 3 and install WinAmp 2.9 (less bloated)
    > http://classic.winamp.com/download/index.jhtml

    Won't consider this suggestion yet until other suggestions proved not
    working.

    > Most importantly, install more memory - 64MB is not enough
    > for Windows 98SE to run smoothly.

    Why? 98SE is a very 'old' OS! Windows is that poor ? Although
    subjectively speaking I will say yes!

    ComeMon!, Sep 27, 2003
  9. ComeMon!

    ComeMon! Guest

    "HamMan" <> wrote in message news:<bl21nt$4uk$>...
    > "ComeMon!" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've one notebook with Pentium MMX 166 CPU, 64MB RAM w/ windows 98 2nd
    > > ed. installed. The speed of file opening (e.g. open pdf files),
    > > directory browsing & switching among application windows are not too
    > > slow until I play mp3 files with Winamp3. While I was listening to
    > > songs via Winamp3, the speed of file browsing using windows explorer,
    > > opening document files & switching among different explorer windows
    > > were extremely slow even if all the played mp3 files were actually
    > > stored at HD i.e. Winamp3 need not to access them from CD-ROM drive.
    > >
    > > I would like to know how can I tune my windows to make it perform
    > > 'normal' under similar situation ?
    > >
    > > Tks!

    > You could try using the latest release of winamp2, i've found it to be much
    > faster (i use it mainly because of the 3rd party plugin i use for
    > projections)
    >
    > But really, what do you expect from a 166?

    I just don't want my computer to run as a 'snail' :). It's just
    playing audio files!!!
    ComeMon!, Sep 27, 2003
  10. ComeMon!

    Paul - xxx Guest

    ComeMon! tried to scribble ...

    > "Paul - xxx" <> wrote

    >> Add more memory, run less 'background' applications, generally
    >> clean-up the
    >> computer hard drive and files .. ;)

    > 1. The notebook is of an old model, may be hard to find compatibile
    > memory.

    Crucial.com .. I have a P2 233MMX Toshiba (for one of my sons) that I just
    upgraded to 256 meg Ram, and it flies now. (relatively) ;)

    > 2. Pressed Ctrl-Alt-Esc, found below list of processes listed : 2
    > explorer windows instances, explorer, internat, winampa,
    > btstackserver, irmon, 2xrundll32, systray processes (total 10
    > entries). Would yuou say it's too much 'background' applications ?

    Yes. IMHO of those posted I would say you need explorer, unless you use the
    IR port and then you also need irmon.

    > 3. Cleaned up HD (temporary internet directory, windows temp
    > directory) to increase free disk space from below 60MB to 105MB. Found
    > performance slightly improved although still unsatisfactory.

    Also do a scandisk and a defrag .. Mike's link to his maintenance page is
    invaluable, I simply forgot to add it to my post .. ;)

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Paul - xxx, Sep 27, 2003
  11. ComeMon!

    °Mike° Guest

    On 27 Sep 2003 08:12:21 -0700, in
    <>
    ComeMon! scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Start here:
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    >Need time to study it's content.

    <Sigh!>

    >> Uninstall WinAmp 3 and install WinAmp 2.9 (less bloated)
    >> http://classic.winamp.com/download/index.jhtml

    >Won't consider this suggestion yet until other suggestions proved not
    >working.

    Why not? Version 2.9 has all the functionality, without all
    of the bloatware "bells and whistles".

    >> Most importantly, install more memory - 64MB is not enough
    >> for Windows 98SE to run smoothly.

    >Why? 98SE is a very 'old' OS! Windows is that poor ? Although
    >subjectively speaking I will say yes!

    Because I run 98SE myself, and I know damn well that it's not enough.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  12. ComeMon!

    °Mike° Guest

    On 27 Sep 2003 07:56:26 -0700, in
    <>
    ComeMon! scrawled:

    >"John Wood" <> wrote in message news:<zY0db.338$>...
    >> Umm, Pentium 166?
    >> I think you answered your own question!
    >>

    >Can't agree with your answer. It's MMX! even though it's just Pentium.
    >There should be some way to boost up its performance

    Ferchrisakes... Get real!

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  13. ComeMon!

    Paul - xxx Guest

    ComeMon! tried to scribble ...

    > °Mike° <> wrote in message
    >> Start here:
    >> Basic computer maintenance

    > Need time to study it's content.

    Heheheh .. it's a great piece, and is a link I 'meant' to include in my post
    on this subject too. ;) Just read through it and act upon it, it doesn't
    take that long.

    >> Uninstall WinAmp 3 and install WinAmp 2.9 (less bloated)
    >> http://classic.winamp.com/download/index.jhtml

    > Won't consider this suggestion yet until other suggestions proved not
    > working.

    Heheheh, your choice .. you're wrong, but it's up to you .. ;)

    >> Most importantly, install more memory - 64MB is not enough
    >> for Windows 98SE to run smoothly.

    > Why? 98SE is a very 'old' OS! Windows is that poor ? Although
    > subjectively speaking I will say yes!

    IIRC W98SE 'needed' as base 64 meg of RAM to run, but more RAM was
    considered necessary for computers doing anything other than basic word
    processing .. ;)

    Having said that I _do_ still have a P 90 with 48 meg running W98SE, but
    slowly, very s l o w l y .. ;)

    MP3's, and their players, can use a fair amount of computing power, they
    need to be decoded 'on the fly' and so are a relatively memory intensive
    operation, despite your protestation that "It's just playing audio
    files!!!".

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Paul - xxx, Sep 27, 2003
  14. ComeMon!

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:15:55 +0100, °Mike° <>
    scribbled:

    >Because I run 98SE myself, and I know damn well that it's not enough.

    You should see it running under 48 megs of RAM on my
    5x86-133 :)

    --

    Exxy is my hero!
    -= Hawk =-, Sep 27, 2003
  15. ComeMon!

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:49:20 +0100, "Paul - xxx"
    <> scribbled:

    >IIRC W98SE 'needed' as base 64 meg of RAM to run

    Actually it was 16 megs.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!
    -= Hawk =-, Sep 27, 2003
  16. ComeMon!

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:39:28 GMT, in
    <3btbnv0asoural2d8tj50u9rst576c03vs@news-server>
    -= Hawk =- scrawled:

    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:15:55 +0100, °Mike° <>
    >scribbled:
    >
    >>Because I run 98SE myself, and I know damn well that it's not enough.

    >You should see it running under 48 megs of RAM on my
    >5x86-133 :)

    I can hear the groaning of the hard drive from here.
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  17. ComeMon!

    Paul - xxx Guest

    -= Hawk =- tried to scribble ...

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:49:20 +0100, "Paul - xxx"
    > <> scribbled:
    >
    >> IIRC W98SE 'needed' as base 64 meg of RAM to run

    > Actually it was 16 megs.

    Heheheh .. yeah, I looked it up but couldn't be bothered to correct myself
    ... ;)

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    Paul - xxx, Sep 27, 2003
  18. Howdy!

    > > Umm, Pentium 166?
    > > I think you answered your own question!
    > >

    > Can't agree with your answer. It's MMX! even though it's just Pentium.
    > There should be some way to boost up its performance

    It's the 166MHz, man. There's only so much you can put on a 166
    cubic inch motor before the car just won't go no more.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 28, 2003
  19. Howdy!

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On 27 Sep 2003 08:12:21 -0700, in
    > <>
    > ComeMon! scrawled:

    > >Why? 98SE is a very 'old' OS! Windows is that poor ? Although
    > >subjectively speaking I will say yes!

    > Because I run 98SE myself, and I know damn well that it's not enough.

    Mike - it really depends on the software load.

    64MB was plenty for one office with Win98SE running. No swap file
    in usage with Works and their 3270 emulator opened.

    Updating to 2K? They got 256M more RAM, of course (grins)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 28, 2003
  20. Howdy!

    "ComeMon!" <> wrote in message

    > I just don't want my computer to run as a 'snail' :). It's just
    > playing audio files!!!

    Uuhhh ... Didn't you say they were MP3s? If so, then it's NOT "just
    playing audio files". It's doing some hellacious math in the background to
    convert that binary data into something you can listen to.

    Another choice is to convert to .WAVs using something like CDex
    (free!) and play those.

    If that takes care of the problem, it IS the fact that you're
    overstepping what your processor can handle at 166MHz.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 28, 2003