How to make true IP-to-IP call with RT31P2 ?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by peter, Dec 10, 2005.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    How do you make a true IP-call from an RT31P2 to an RT31P2 ? (the
    innards are more or less like as Sipura 2100) ?

    If both are registered with a provider, is there any way to by-pass the
    provider without too much fiddling with the set-up, so as to make a
    direct IP-adress:port -> IP-adress:port call ? If so, what settings do
    you neet to set ? Are "Make call wihout reg" and "Ans call without
    reg" sufficient ?

    After some experimentation, I was unable to bypass my provider in
    anyway, i.e. anything I did seemed to be routed thrugh my VoiP-provider
    (because, on all attempts, the recipient received my phone number as
    Caller-ID, and that info is only stored with my provider).

    Anyone with any experience on this subject, or some good advice ?

    Thanks

    peter

    peter, Dec 10, 2005

  2. peter

    Martin² Guest

    You can dial directly any IP number, just start and end with hash and
    replace full stoops with asterisks e.g. #123*45*67*89#
    If there is a SIP device at that IP address it should ring.

    Mind you if your RT31P2 is locked to Vonage or some other provider, then it
    may not work.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Dec 11, 2005

  3. peter

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-12-10, peter <> wrote:

    > How do you make a true IP-call from an RT31P2 to an RT31P2 ? (the
    > innards are more or less like as Sipura 2100) ?
    >
    > If both are registered with a provider, is there any way to by-pass the
    > provider without too much fiddling with the set-up, so as to make a
    > direct IP-adress:port -> IP-adress:port call ? If so, what settings do
    > you neet to set ? Are "Make call wihout reg" and "Ans call without
    > reg" sufficient ?

    You would need to have 'yes' for these settings. 'Enable IP Dialing:'
    would be 'yes' if you intend to dial user_number@IP_address using the
    handset. That's assuming these Sipura type settings are available on
    the RT31P2.

    > After some experimentation, I was unable to bypass my provider in
    > anyway, i.e. anything I did seemed to be routed thrugh my VoiP-provider
    > (because, on all attempts, the recipient received my phone number as
    > Caller-ID, and that info is only stored with my provider).
    >
    > Anyone with any experience on this subject, or some good advice ?

    What was the nature of the experimentation? I would have unregistered
    the line as part of a test. Also, my experience is that the caller ID
    is the User_ID: on the line you are using, so your phone number being
    stored by your provider is not something I've come across. Is your
    provider Vonage? I ask because they are not an open network and may
    restrict outbound SIP-to-SIP calls as well as inbound ones.

    Brian.

    Brian, Dec 11, 2005
  4. peter

    peter Guest

    The issue is not how to execute the dial procedure, but how to avoid my
    own provider :) All my attempts were in fact registered by my
    provider, and the whole point of the exercise was to bypass him :)

    peter, Dec 11, 2005
  5. peter

    peter Guest

    >You would need to have 'yes' for these settings.

    I did .

    'Enable IP Dialing:'
    would be 'yes' if you intend to dial user_number@IP_address using the
    handset. That's assuming these Sipura type settings are available on
    the RT31P2.

    It is and I did. Although, Í had the IP stored in the Speed dial, and
    tried also in the dial plan.

    >What was the nature of the experimentation? I would have >unregistered
    >the line as part of a test.

    Initally i tried while registered. Then I tried the speed dial wile
    unregistered (but without erasing the provider info).

    >Also, my experience is that the caller ID
    >is the User_ID:

    Nope - not with my provider. The user-IDs are composed of letters and
    numbers, because my provider allows to sperate lines on the same phone
    number (with two different user -ID) - hence, the only place where the
    link exists between my user-ID/IP-address and phone number is with the
    provider.
    >Vonage ?

    No not Vonage - some small outfit abroad :)

    Also, with regard to unregistering : The whole point was to find out
    how to be able to use my normal provider AND, occasionally, dial an
    IP-to-IP call, without have to refiddle all the settings each time :)
    Perhaps it is just not doable on my Rt31P2 ?

    Anyone managed such a feat ? In which case, which hardaware did you use
    ?

    Anyway - thanks for your comments Brian.

    peter, Dec 11, 2005
  6. peter

    alexd Guest

    peter wrote:

    > The issue is not how to execute the dial procedure, but how to avoid my
    > own provider :)

    > All my attempts were in fact registered by my
    > provider, and the whole point of the exercise was to bypass him :)

    SIP clients are designed to 'reinvite' calls - i.e. bypass the SIP proxy
    [your provider] and connect directly to each other once codecs have been
    negotiated. However, your provider can disable this functionality if they
    decide to, for example to capture DTMF digits, or [rarely] to transcode
    data between clients that don't have compatible audio codecs. So in theory
    [and in all probability; why would your wafer-thin-margin telephony
    provider want to trombone data in and out of their SIP server, or waste CPU
    cycles on transcoding audio?] your RTP stream is going from your phone
    directly to your callee's phone without going through your provider. Your
    provider is likely only doing the call setup.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:39:31 up 6 days, 7:14, 1 user, load average: 1.43, 0.37, 0.17

    alexd, Dec 14, 2005