How to make my computer a screaming, fast machine.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GrandpaChuck, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Currently in my toolbar in the lower right corner of the screen I have
    17 icons, including the clock, that are put there automatically every
    time I boot up. I have been told in order to keep the machine running
    at its fastest speed there should only be a few basic ones there.

    Some of them are Avast virus scan, Magic Mail Monitor, WeatherBug,
    Wireless network connection, Volume, WLAN on, Quick Launch Buttons.
    MSN IM, Quick Time, and Avast Mail Scanner.

    If there are some that I do not need in there, how do I get them out?

    I have several program icons in my Quick Launch file. Does that slow
    it down too? I would rather have them there rather than on my desktop.

    Thanks for answering my inane questions. If I knew the answers I would
    not be asking.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Nov 4, 2006

  2. GrandpaChuck

    doS Guest

    start run msconfig, ok, then startup, uncheck what you dont need to laod at
    startup

    doS, Nov 4, 2006

  3. GrandpaChuck

    Clogwog Guest

    GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > Currently in my toolbar in the lower right corner of the screen I have
    > 17 icons, including the clock, that are put there automatically every
    > time I boot up. I have been told in order to keep the machine running
    > at its fastest speed there should only be a few basic ones there.
    >
    > Some of them are Avast virus scan, Magic Mail Monitor, WeatherBug,
    > Wireless network connection, Volume, WLAN on, Quick Launch Buttons.
    > MSN IM, Quick Time, and Avast Mail Scanner.
    >
    > If there are some that I do not need in there, how do I get them out?

    Some of those programs can be configured to not start when your booting the
    OS.
    After you have eliminated a few, go to Start > run > type: msconfig >
    Startup tab > uncheck the fuckers which are driving you nuts!
    Performance boosting? Go here to this excellent website:
    http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/performance.html
    <you have to know what you are doing on this one>
    b.t.w. Are you a young, let's say 40 year old "Grandpa" or let's say a 80
    year old senile one? ;-)

    > I have several program icons in my Quick Launch file. Does that slow
    > it down too? I would rather have them there rather than on my desktop.
    >
    > Thanks for answering my inane questions. If I knew the answers I would
    > not be asking.

    It has removed 0 spam emails to date.
    Try SPAMfighter for free now!
    Clogwog, Nov 4, 2006
  4. GrandpaChuck

    JANA Guest

    The more you can not have loaded at the start-up, the faster the computer
    will work. The larger pre-loaded programs are what will slow the computer
    down. Small things like the clock will not make much of a difference.

    The real answer is to have a faster drive, more RAM if needed, a mother
    board with a very fast buss, multiple processors, a very fast display card,
    and so-on...

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Nov 4, 2006
  5. GrandpaChuck

    clot Guest

    GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > Currently in my toolbar in the lower right corner of the screen I have
    > 17 icons, including the clock, that are put there automatically every
    > time I boot up. I have been told in order to keep the machine running
    > at its fastest speed there should only be a few basic ones there.
    >
    > Some of them are Avast virus scan, Magic Mail Monitor, WeatherBug,
    > Wireless network connection, Volume, WLAN on, Quick Launch Buttons.
    > MSN IM, Quick Time, and Avast Mail Scanner.
    >
    > If there are some that I do not need in there, how do I get them out?
    >
    > I have several program icons in my Quick Launch file. Does that slow
    > it down too? I would rather have them there rather than on my desktop.
    >
    > Thanks for answering my inane questions. If I knew the answers I would
    > not be asking.

    I've just killed Weatherbug this evening due to the impact it has on
    starting the PC. For me, the BBC has what I need without the delay at
    start up.
    clot, Nov 4, 2006
  6. GrandpaChuck

    clot Guest

    Clogwog wrote:
    > GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >> Currently in my toolbar in the lower right corner of the screen I
    >> have 17 icons, including the clock, that are put there automatically
    >> every time I boot up. I have been told in order to keep the machine
    >> running at its fastest speed there should only be a few basic ones
    >> there. Some of them are Avast virus scan, Magic Mail Monitor,
    >> WeatherBug,
    >> Wireless network connection, Volume, WLAN on, Quick Launch Buttons.
    >> MSN IM, Quick Time, and Avast Mail Scanner.
    >>
    >> If there are some that I do not need in there, how do I get them out?

    > Some of those programs can be configured to not start when your
    > booting the OS.
    > After you have eliminated a few, go to Start > run > type: msconfig >
    > Startup tab > uncheck the fuckers which are driving you nuts!
    > Performance boosting? Go here to this excellent website:
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/performance.html
    > <you have to know what you are doing on this one>
    > b.t.w. Are you a young, let's say 40 year old "Grandpa" or let's say
    > a 80 year old senile one? ;-)

    Closer to the latter, but not that senile as I understand the term!
    clot, Nov 4, 2006
  7. GrandpaChuck

    Paul_B Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 21:11:30 GMT, GrandpaChuck wrote:

    > Currently in my toolbar in the lower right corner of the screen I have
    > 17 icons, including the clock, that are put there automatically every
    > time I boot up. I have been told in order to keep the machine running
    > at its fastest speed there should only be a few basic ones there.

    After you're done with start-up items, go after unnecessary
    services.

    p.
    Paul_B, Nov 4, 2006
  8. GrandpaChuck

    Guest

    "clot" <> wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >
    >> Some of them are Avast virus scan, Magic Mail Monitor, WeatherBug,
    >> Wireless network connection, Volume, WLAN on, Quick Launch Buttons.
    >> MSN IM, Quick Time, and Avast Mail Scanner.

    >I've just killed Weatherbug this evening due to the impact it has on
    >starting the PC. For me, the BBC has what I need without the delay at
    >start up.

    OP should try Weather Pulse then
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/weatherpulse.html
    (US only)

    --
    www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15914427.htm
    , Nov 5, 2006
  9. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 22:39:27 +0100, "Clogwog"
    <> wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:

    >b.t.w. Are you a young, let's say 40 year old "Grandpa" or let's say a 80
    >year old senile one? ;-)

    LOL
    I guess in the late middle. That is 66 years old with 15 grandchildren
    and a great grandchild we have yet to see. But that's a rather long
    story.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Nov 5, 2006
  10. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    I see. This is an HP Pavilion laptop. I have never opened it up like I
    would a desktop p.c., but thanks for the ideas.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Nov 5, 2006
  11. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:30:41 GMT, "clot" <> wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >> Currently in my toolbar in the lower right corner of the screen I have
    >> 17 icons, including the clock, that are put there automatically every
    >> time I boot up. I have been told in order to keep the machine running
    >> at its fastest speed there should only be a few basic ones there.
    >>
    >> Some of them are Avast virus scan, Magic Mail Monitor, WeatherBug,
    >> Wireless network connection, Volume, WLAN on, Quick Launch Buttons.
    >> MSN IM, Quick Time, and Avast Mail Scanner.
    >>
    >> If there are some that I do not need in there, how do I get them out?
    >>
    >> I have several program icons in my Quick Launch file. Does that slow
    >> it down too? I would rather have them there rather than on my desktop.
    >>
    >> Thanks for answering my inane questions. If I knew the answers I would
    >> not be asking.

    >I've just killed Weatherbug this evening due to the impact it has on
    >starting the PC. For me, the BBC has what I need without the delay at
    >start up.

    Hmm, I wonder how well they do with current weather conditions and
    forecasts for eastern Iowa. Of course I could sign up for a similar
    service from any of the three major television stations in the area,
    but I have been told by friends that have done that there are problems
    with those too.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Nov 5, 2006
  12. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:31:28 -0800, wrote:

    > "clot" <> wrote:
    >
    >>GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >>
    >>> Some of them are Avast virus scan, Magic Mail Monitor, WeatherBug,
    >>> Wireless network connection, Volume, WLAN on, Quick Launch Buttons.
    >>> MSN IM, Quick Time, and Avast Mail Scanner.

    >>I've just killed Weatherbug this evening due to the impact it has on
    >>starting the PC. For me, the BBC has what I need without the delay at
    >>start up.

    >OP should try Weather Pulse then
    >http://www.snapfiles.com/get/weatherpulse.html
    >(US only)

    Downloaded it. Will install it on this computer and leave weatherbug
    on the desktop for a few days and see how they compare.

    Thank you.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Nov 5, 2006
  13. GrandpaChuck

    Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:31:28 -0800, wrote:

    >>>I've just killed Weatherbug this evening due to the impact it has on
    >>>starting the PC. For me, the BBC has what I need without the delay at
    >>>start up.

    >>OP should try Weather Pulse then
    >>http://www.snapfiles.com/get/weatherpulse.html
    >>(US only)

    >Downloaded it. Will install it on this computer and leave weatherbug
    >on the desktop for a few days and see how they compare.

    You might need this, appears the free weatherbug is adware.

    "WeatherBug Removal Instructions and Help"
    http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

    --
    www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15914427.htm
    , Nov 5, 2006
  14. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:20:16 -0800, wrote:

    > GrandpaChuck <> wrote:

    >>>OP should try Weather Pulse then
    >>>http://www.snapfiles.com/get/weatherpulse.html
    >>>(US only)

    >>Downloaded it. Will install it on this computer and leave weatherbug
    >>on the desktop for a few days and see how they compare.

    >You might need this, appears the free weatherbug is adware.
    >
    >"WeatherBug Removal Instructions and Help"
    >http://www.pchell.com/support/weatherbug.shtml

    Thank you. Looked at it and bookmarked it.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Nov 5, 2006
  15. GrandpaChuck

    Clogwog Guest

    GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > I see. This is an HP Pavilion laptop. I have never opened it up like I
    > would a desktop p.c., but thanks for the ideas.

    Ignore the stupid, arrogant, JANA tit. She doesn't give you any answers on
    how to prevent those programs to pre-load or how to boost the performance of
    your HP Pavilion, you have now, within the hardware limits.
    OP: How to make my computer a screaming, fast machine
    JANA: <summarized> Buy a new computer!
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAH!!!! You fucking, twatting, JANAtard!!!

    Clogwog, Nov 5, 2006
  16. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >The more you can not have loaded at the start-up, the faster the computer
    >will work. The larger pre-loaded programs are what will slow the computer
    >down. Small things like the clock will not make much of a difference.

    You're correct there..

    >The real answer is to have a faster drive, more RAM if needed, a mother
    >board with a very fast buss, multiple processors, a very fast display card,
    >and so-on...

    And totally incorrect there.

    Unless someone's using a MFM 10 meg hard drive, the next stup up
    generally would be a 7200 rpm drive (assuming they have a 5400 rpm
    drive). Likely, the speed difference wouldn't be a "Oh wow!" but
    "hmm.. it looks a little quicker." Granted, there's 10k rpm SCSI, but
    that's out of most users price range.

    And as for suggesting multiple processors... Ummm.. What crack are you
    on?
    Evan Platt, Nov 5, 2006