how to make large prints from a digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by goatsrrunnin@gmail.com, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. Guest

    i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.
    , Feb 2, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    > my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    > be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.


    There are a couple of ways that I know of. First, yes you could go to a
    kinkos or a professional print lab. This will cost heavily and may be too
    expensive for an amature or if you want to do several posters. Or if you
    want to do it at home on your own printer you need a photo software package
    that does what is called "poster print". These programs break the image into
    a series of single page prints that are then trimmed and pasted together to
    make a large poster. I have made a poster print as large as 10' x 2' (a
    panorama shot) and a poster 3'x4'. The limit of the poster print is partly
    dependant on the size (resolution) of your original image so that there
    isn't a noticable blurring of image detail when it is "blown up". And the
    software that does the blow up also makes a difference.

    Personally I use Qimage. I have been very happy with the results. Of course
    there will be other software suggestions and you will have to decide what
    software will work best for you. But the function you are looking for is
    "poster print". Note this method is best for amatures or those exploring
    their skills as if you plan on selling the posters many people will not like
    the seams where the pages are pasted together (and your skill at accurate
    trimming and gluing makes a difference here).

    Randy
    Randy Berbaum, Feb 2, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. HEMI-Powered Guest

    Randy Berbaum added these comments in the current discussion du
    jour ...

    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > news:
    > ups.com...
    >>i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can
    >>i get
    >> my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i
    >> guess that'd be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin?
    >> thanks. kenny.

    >
    > There are a couple of ways that I know of. First, yes you
    > could go to a kinkos or a professional print lab. This will
    > cost heavily and may be too expensive for an amature or if you
    > want to do several posters. Or if you want to do it at home on
    > your own printer you need a photo software package that does
    > what is called "poster print". These programs break the image
    > into a series of single page prints that are then trimmed and
    > pasted together to make a large poster. I have made a poster
    > print as large as 10' x 2' (a panorama shot) and a poster
    > 3'x4'. The limit of the poster print is partly dependant on
    > the size (resolution) of your original image so that there
    > isn't a noticable blurring of image detail when it is "blown
    > up". And the software that does the blow up also makes a
    > difference.


    I print very few of my own images, mainly car pictures, but I
    have looked at the economy sources such as Kinko's Meijer,
    Costco, Target and others. I can't quote prices but I recall that
    they had a couple of quality levels and several types of paper
    that could be used. I thought that the prices I saw for 11 x 14,
    16 x 20 and even poster size seemed reasonable, but again, I've
    done no real research, I'm just making an observation here.

    The OP didn't provide much detail, but one important statistic is
    how many images/month or images/year does he intend to print and
    to what size? When I bought my current Canon Pixma 6600 a couple
    of years ago, I investigated Canan's wide-carriage printer and
    Epson's. Both print to at least Super B, 13 x 19. I am very, very
    happy with the quality of my Canon on their Super Glossy paper,
    although even at "normal" print quality, it almost literally eats
    ink.

    It seems like the OP might want to evaluate several local and
    internet printing services and get a feel for the relative
    quality and actual cost/print at several sizes. Then, make the
    same quality and price/print comparisons with a home printer and
    go with the solution that best meets their overall needs.

    > Personally I use Qimage. I have been very happy with the
    > results. Of course there will be other software suggestions
    > and you will have to decide what software will work best for
    > you. But the function you are looking for is "poster print".
    > Note this method is best for amatures or those exploring their
    > skills as if you plan on selling the posters many people will
    > not like the seams where the pages are pasted together (and
    > your skill at accurate trimming and gluing makes a difference
    > here).


    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II
    HEMI-Powered, Feb 2, 2008
    #3
  4. Art Guest

    On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 00:56:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    >my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    >be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.



    COSTCO website (costco.com select photo) does 20x30 prints for $10
    each, plus $5 mailing for the whole batch you order. They take under a
    week. I've done 10, and the color has been perfect so far - both 4 and
    8 mpix shots.

    They do charge a membership, but it may be worth buying one if you are
    going to do very many prints. its MUCH less expensive than any other
    source I've found.
    Art, Feb 2, 2008
    #4
  5. You may want to check the local camera stores, not electronic stores.
    Many of them, along with many photo finishing outlets if you still have any
    in your area, will product the product you are interested in. Most know
    their business very well and can offer a choice of services at a range of
    prices.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit



    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    > my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    > be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.
    Joseph Meehan, Feb 2, 2008
    #5
  6. On Feb 2, 3:47 am, "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    > >i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    > > my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    > > be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

    >
    > There are a couple of ways that I know of. First, yes you could go to a
    > kinkos or a professional print lab. This will cost heavily and may be too
    > expensive for an amature or if you want to do several posters. Or if you
    > want to do it at home on your own printer you need a photo software package
    > that does what is called "poster print". These programs break the image into
    > a series of single page prints that are then trimmed and pasted together to
    > make a large poster. I have made a poster print as large as 10' x 2' (a
    > panorama shot) and a poster 3'x4'. The limit of the poster print is partly
    > dependant on the size (resolution) of your original image so that there
    > isn't a noticable blurring of image detail when it is "blown up". And the
    > software that does the blow up also makes a difference.
    >
    > Personally I use Qimage. I have been very happy with the results. Of course
    > there will be other software suggestions and you will have to decide what
    > software will work best for you. But the function you are looking for is
    > "poster print". Note this method is best for amatures or those exploring
    > their skills as if you plan on selling the posters many people will not like
    > the seams where the pages are pasted together (and your skill at accurate
    > trimming and gluing makes a difference here).
    >
    > Randy


    Seems to me photo editors have gone backwards on this. Before I moved
    to PSP, I had several low cost editors, including Micrografix's Photo
    Magic that included this feature.

    Why do PSP and PS NOT have it? Seems like it should be part of any
    decent editor.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Feb 2, 2008
    #6
  7. Guest

    On Feb 2, 9:15 am, Don Stauffer in Minnesota <>
    wrote:
    > On Feb 2, 3:47 am, "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > <> wrote in message

    >
    > >news:...

    >
    > > >i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    > > > my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    > > > be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

    >
    > > There are a couple of ways that I know of. First, yes you could go to a
    > > kinkos or a professional print lab. This will cost heavily and may be too
    > > expensive for an amature or if you want to do several posters. Or if you
    > > want to do it at home on your own printer you need a photo software package
    > > that does what is called "poster print". These programs break the image into
    > > a series of single page prints that are then trimmed and pasted together to
    > > make a large poster. I have made a poster print as large as 10' x 2' (a
    > > panorama shot) and a poster 3'x4'. The limit of the poster print is partly
    > > dependant on the size (resolution) of your original image so that there
    > > isn't a noticable blurring of image detail when it is "blown up". And the
    > > software that does the blow up also makes a difference.

    >
    > > Personally I use Qimage. I have been very happy with the results. Of course
    > > there will be other software suggestions and you will have to decide what
    > > software will work best for you. But the function you are looking for is
    > > "poster print". Note this method is best for amatures or those exploring
    > > their skills as if you plan on selling the posters many people will not like
    > > the seams where the pages are pasted together (and your skill at accurate
    > > trimming and gluing makes a difference here).

    >
    > > Randy

    >
    > Seems to me photo editors have gone backwards on this.  Before I moved
    > to PSP, I had several low cost editors, including Micrografix's Photo
    > Magic that included this feature.
    >
    > Why do PSP and PS NOT have it?  Seems like it should be part of any
    > decent editor.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    thanks everybody. lots of great info. the very grateful, kenny
    , Feb 2, 2008
    #7
  8. Dave Cohen Guest

    Art wrote:
    > On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 00:56:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:
    >
    >> i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    >> my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    >> be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

    >
    >
    > COSTCO website (costco.com select photo) does 20x30 prints for $10
    > each, plus $5 mailing for the whole batch you order. They take under a
    > week. I've done 10, and the color has been perfect so far - both 4 and
    > 8 mpix shots.
    >
    > They do charge a membership, but it may be worth buying one if you are
    > going to do very many prints. its MUCH less expensive than any other
    > source I've found.
    >
    >

    Alternatively you can try www.yorkphoto.com, click under posters and
    follow the links. They show 20'x30" for $14 plus postage but no sign up
    fee, take your choice. Friend of mine used to use Clarke for film.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Feb 2, 2008
    #8
  9. Mr. Strat Guest

    In article
    <>,
    <> wrote:

    > i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    > my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    > be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.


    "Amature?"

    Maybe it should be "a mature"
    Mr. Strat, Feb 2, 2008
    #9
  10. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    > my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    > be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.


    Lots of places make poster size prints. I've used
    clarkcolor.com.
    Marvin, Feb 3, 2008
    #10
  11. measekite Guest

    I read a post that says Costco does this.

    Marvin wrote: wrote:
    i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get
    my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.

    Lots of places make poster size prints.&nbsp; I've used clarkcolor.com.
    measekite, Feb 4, 2008
    #11
  12. John Navas Guest

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:55:16 GMT, measekite <> wrote
    in <ocJpj.2994$>:

    ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    ><html>
    ><head>
    > <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type">
    ></head>
    ><body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
    ><font face="sans-serif">I read a post that says Costco does this.</font><br>
    ><br>
    >Marvin wrote:
    ><blockquote cite="mid:QLqpj.2304$xE.1382@trnddc01" type="cite"><a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:"></a>
    >wrote:
    > <br>
    > <blockquote type="cite">i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of
    >nature scenes. how can i get
    > <br>
    >my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    > <br>
    >be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.
    > <br>
    > </blockquote>
    > <br>
    >Lots of places make poster size prints.&nbsp; I've used clarkcolor.com.
    > <br>
    ></blockquote>
    ></body>
    ></html>


    Please post in plain text only (per Usenet guidelines).
    Not all newsreaders can handle HTML. Thanks.
    Easy to change in your Thunderbird Options.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)
    John Navas, Feb 4, 2008
    #12
  13. measekite Guest

    John Navas wrote:

    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:55:16 GMT, measekite &lt;&gt; wrote in &lt;ocJpj.2994$&gt;:



    &lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"&gt; &lt;html&gt; &lt;head&gt; &lt;meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"&gt; &lt;/head&gt; &lt;body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"&gt; &lt;font face="sans-serif"&gt;I read a post that says Costco does this.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;br&gt; &lt;br&gt; Marvin wrote: &lt;blockquote cite="mid:QLqpj.2304$xE.1382@trnddc01" type="cite"&gt;&lt;a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:"&gt;&lt;/a&gt; wrote: &lt;br&gt; &lt;blockquote type="cite"&gt;i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of nature scenes. how can i get &lt;br&gt; my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd &lt;br&gt; be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny. &lt;br&gt; &lt;/blockquote&gt; &lt;br&gt; Lots of places make poster size prints.&amp;nbsp; I've used clarkcolor.com. &lt;br&gt; &lt;/blockquote&gt; &lt;/body&gt; &lt;/html&gt;



    Please post in plain text only (per Usenet guidelines). Not all newsreaders can handle HTML. Thanks. Easy to change in your Thunderbird Options.

    You are asking me to change my new options because your news reader does not do html.&nbsp; Maybe you should get a more modern newsreader.
    measekite, Feb 4, 2008
    #13
  14. John Navas Guest

    Don't be a dick.
    Post in plain text only (per Usenet guidelines).
    Not all newsreaders can handle HTML.
    Easy to change in your Thunderbird Options.

    If you keep it up, expect most people here to filter you out,
    as I'm now doing.


    On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 23:48:37 GMT, measekite <> wrote
    in <pvNpj.5910$>:

    ><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    ><html>
    ><head>
    > <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type">
    ></head>
    ><body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
    ><br>
    ><br>
    >John Navas wrote:
    ><blockquote cite="mid:"
    > type="cite">
    > <pre wrap="">On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:55:16 GMT, measekite <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:">&lt;&gt;</a> wrote
    >in <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:eek:cJpj.2994$">&lt;ocJpj.2994$&gt;</a>:
    >
    > </pre>
    > <blockquote type="cite">
    > <pre wrap="">&lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"&gt;
    >&lt;html&gt;
    >&lt;head&gt;
    > &lt;meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"&gt;
    >&lt;/head&gt;
    >&lt;body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"&gt;
    >&lt;font face="sans-serif"&gt;I read a post that says Costco does this.&lt;/font&gt;&lt;br&gt;
    >&lt;br&gt;
    >Marvin wrote:
    >&lt;blockquote cite="mid:QLqpj.2304$xE.1382@trnddc01" type="cite"&gt;&lt;a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:">"mailto:"</a>&gt;<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:"></a>&lt;/a&gt;
    >wrote:
    > &lt;br&gt;
    > &lt;blockquote type="cite"&gt;i am an amature photagrapher, mostly of
    >nature scenes. how can i get
    > &lt;br&gt;
    >my photos from my camera enlarged by say, 1 by 2 feet. i guess that'd
    > &lt;br&gt;
    >be 1'x2'. should i go to a kinkos or somethin? thanks. kenny.
    > &lt;br&gt;
    > &lt;/blockquote&gt;
    > &lt;br&gt;
    >Lots of places make poster size prints.&amp;nbsp; I've used clarkcolor.com.
    > &lt;br&gt;
    >&lt;/blockquote&gt;
    >&lt;/body&gt;
    >&lt;/html&gt;
    > </pre>
    > </blockquote>
    > <pre wrap=""><!---->
    >Please post in plain text only (per Usenet guidelines).
    >Not all newsreaders can handle HTML. Thanks.
    >Easy to change in your Thunderbird Options.
    > </pre>
    ></blockquote>
    >You are asking me to change my new options because your news reader
    >does not do html.&nbsp; Maybe you should get a more modern newsreader.<br>
    ></body>
    ></html>


    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)
    John Navas, Feb 5, 2008
    #14
  15. John Navas Guest

    On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:01:49 GMT, John Navas
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Don't be a dick.


    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Don't_be_a_dick

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (and several others)
    John Navas, Feb 5, 2008
    #15
  16. measekite <> wrote:

    > </pre>
    > </blockquote>
    > You are asking me to change my new options because your news reader
    > does not do html.&nbsp; Maybe you should get a more modern newsreader.<br>
    > </body>
    > </html>


    Usenet newsgroups are defined to use plain text. Because of that they
    remain the simplest and lowest cost entry to the internet. Although
    desk computers and laptops are now very powerful and sophisticated,
    there are lots of people in third world countries coming on-line with
    very simple primitive equipment by rich Western standards. People are
    also coming on-line with all kinds of small portable devices.

    Micros**t originally encouraged this kind of html standards-breaking
    in newsgroups and email as a marketing tactic to try to lock people
    into their products.

    If you persist in using html in newsgroups you label yourself as a
    gullible and thoughtless idiot.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Feb 5, 2008
    #16
  17. GordG Guest

    "Chris Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > If you persist in using html in newsgroups you label yourself as a
    > gullible and thoughtless idiot.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    > IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    > [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    >


    If you Google "measekite" you'll find he's a well known (but amateurish)
    troll on other newsgroups. Appears he's now bought himself a digital camera
    and migrated here.
    GordG, Feb 5, 2008
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Tony Whitaker

    Re: Making large prints from small digital files

    Tony Whitaker, Jul 11, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,507
    Tony Whitaker
    Jul 11, 2003
  2. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    2,671
    Steve
    Oct 19, 2003
  3. Victor81
    Replies:
    35
    Views:
    1,179
    Dave Martindale
    Dec 12, 2003
  4. Bruce
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    528
    netnews
    Dec 29, 2003
  5. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    448
Loading...

Share This Page