    How can this be done?

    Thanks,
    jt

    jt, Jan 21, 2005

  2. jt

    Guest

    You could get the free Asterisk IP PBX with two FXO ports to connect to
    two phone lines coming into your home. Configure it so that you can
    dial in on one line and then dial out long distance on the other using
    an access code.

    I'm not even sure that's possible but it sounds like a good idea. :)
    I'm sure someone with more experience than I have (that wouldn't be too
    difficult) will have a few better ideas.

    The is another nice benefit to my idea if you have this IP PBX
    connected to the Internet. If you are at another site that has
    high-speed Internet access you could dial into your home PBX using a
    softphone via IP instead of using a landline. That would be especially
    useful if you were out of town and needed to make a long distance call.
    Regards,
    John

    , Jan 21, 2005

  3. >I would like to make a landline call to my home office that somehow
    >once connected dial out long distance from my home office
    >landline. Since, I have Unlimited domestic calling in US from my home
    >office, it would be nice when I'm out at a local clients resident to
    >make a call to my home and then call with from my home office number
    >landline which us toll free.

    It's known as a call bridge.

    If your home office phone has three-way calling, check out the
    Ultimate Call Handler at www.sandman.com. You call in, punch in a
    security code and the number to call, it does a hook flash, calls the
    number, then flashes again to connect the two calls.

    That's the good news. The bad news is that it costs $190, which is a
    fair price for such a complex piece of equipment, but for the same
    price you could also buy 45 hours of calls on a typical 7 cpm calling
    card. If it were up to me, I'd get the calling card and use my phone
    when I was in the office.

    John R. Levine, Jan 21, 2005
  4. jt

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Re: How to make landline call to another landline then out call longdistance?

    John R. Levine wrote:
    >>I would like to make a landline call to my home office that somehow
    >>once connected dial out long distance from my home office
    >>landline. Since, I have Unlimited domestic calling in US from my home
    >>office, it would be nice when I'm out at a local clients resident to
    >>make a call to my home and then call with from my home office number
    >>landline which us toll free.

    > It's known as a call bridge.
    >
    > If your home office phone has three-way calling, check out the
    > Ultimate Call Handler at www.sandman.com. You call in, punch in a
    > security code and the number to call, it does a hook flash, calls the
    > number, then flashes again to connect the two calls.
    >
    > That's the good news. The bad news is that it costs $190, which is a
    > fair price for such a complex piece of equipment, but for the same
    > price you could also buy 45 hours of calls on a typical 7 cpm calling
    > card. If it were up to me, I'd get the calling card and use my phone
    > when I was in the office.

    "Three-way calling" is a feature of CallVantage VoIP service at a flat
    rate of $29/month, including long distance. It might not work as the OP
    wanted because it must be done manually from the home.

    Rick Merrill, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Re: How to make landline call to another landline then out call longdistance?

    >> If your home office phone has three-way calling, check out the
    >> Ultimate Call Handler at www.sandman.com. You call in, punch in a
    >> security code and the number to call, it does a hook flash, calls the
    >> number, then flashes again to connect the two calls. ...

    > "Three-way calling" is a feature of CallVantage VoIP service at a
    > flat rate of $29/month, including long distance. It might not work
    > as the OP wanted because it must be done manually from the home.

    It oughta work. The Sandman box plugs in like a phone and does what a
    person would do to set up a three way call.

    --
    Regards,
    John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 330 5711

    John R. Levine, Jan 21, 2005
  6. jt

    Ankur Shah Guest

    wrote:

    > You could get the free Asterisk IP PBX with two FXO ports to connect to
    > two phone lines coming into your home. Configure it so that you can
    > dial in on one line and then dial out long distance on the other using
    > an access code.

    I second that, though I would have it setup to be all over IP, without
    the need for any FXO/FXS ports. IOW, you can "lease" a virtual number
    from any of the gazillion VOIP providers in the market today and have it
    terminate to your Asterisk box over IP. Once connected, you could
    configure asterisk to dial the outbound number using the "unlimited
    domestic calling plan" that you have and bridge the two calls together.

    Just make sure you have a reasonable authentication/authorization scheme
    in place so you don't turn yourself into a free-for-all CLEC.

    Now slap some billing hooks into the mix and you've got yourself a
    homegrown calling card solution! That said, you could just buy a calling
    card from me and avoid all the hassle (c; (http://www.voicepundit.com)

    Cheers,
    -- Ankur

    Ankur Shah, Jan 21, 2005
  7. jt

    Inco Warren Guest

    This is not exactly what you asked but (if you do not have call
    waiting or similar) you could use PC anywhere or other program to
    connect, from your clients computer (which supposedly is connected to
    the internet through a fast connection), to your computer which in
    turn has a voice modem connected to the landline.

    IW

    Inco Warren, Jan 30, 2005